The Generals War

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jack-daniels, Feb 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On BBC 2 tonight at 1900, following Gen. Richards in Afghan.

2. From BBC Website:

Documentary following NATO's commander in chief General Richards in Afghanistan as he assumes command over 12,000 American troops and 20,000 NATO soldiers on the frontline of the War on Terror.

With unprecedented access, the documentary charts the general's day to day life as he makes life and death decisions and negotiates the many diplomatic minefileds required to hold together a multi-national force from 37 countries. The general knows he has only the winter months to prove to the Afghan people that NATO can beat the Taleban and is on the side of the Afghan people.

The general warns of the dire international consequences of failure, admits that NATO has just a few months to avoid catastrophe and fires a warning shot to his replacement US Army General Dan McNeill to get over the perception that American forces are all about killing.

Directed by Olly Lambert, with veteran foreign correspondent Sam Kiley and narrated by Jason Isaacs.

3. Sam Kiley?

That's a MUST warch then.

4. Great, my sky+ has gone t*ts up and I'm on nights.

:(

5. Nice One Mr J. Daniels,
    Just read post at 19:04.

6. IMHO - outstanding....but god, there are alot of questions that come out of it!

7. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Interesting programme ... I will watch this space, having no current relevant experience.

However, the "palace of flags" does not inspire the ordinary viewer ... needed for the locals, perhaps, but gives Bliar a false impression of what war is about.

8. First class programme . Lets hope some of our politicians have watched it.

9. Excellent programme. Not sure about boozing with the Italians though, not good IMHO, when the boys are dry - so should the General be.

Standing by for incoming about it's their way of life and it would be insulting blah, blah, blah..

10. Decent programme, though it annoyed the hell out of me that they didn't caption the HQ staff (nitpicking). TB clearly on full smarm mode in front of the camera and gets a big thumbs up from another general in two days (see the Blair programme on Kosovo, Sierra Leone et al last night). Would have liked to hear what they said in private...

Most interesting moment was the withdrawal of the Canadian team from PRT work to warfighting- nice piece of letting the event do the talking from the journalists.

And why did the Boche Comd have a British accent?!

11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I understand where you are coming from on this MB. However, remember that Gen Richards is/was commanding a multi-national force, so he will have so many different rules to play with. When in Rome, as the saying goes.

Good programme though and he came across quite well as a thoughtful person, but I did get the feeling that there was a huge amount of edit to show the good side involved.

Just a pity that fuckwit Bliar had to get his neb in.

You could really feel the frustration of some of those Canuks just 'cos they could not get a few spark plugs.

12. A good programme, informative yet bloody annoying, how strange to see a squaddie removing the slightest of marks from the floors prior to the lying ba stard otherwise known as Blair arriving for a "good will visit".

I agree about the comment regarding the drinking though, the guys are slogging it out on the rough whilst the upper echelons discuss the merits of having run out of vintage champagne,

Medders, safe and well again

13. I don't even know why Bliar bothered to go, spend 40 minutes with the man thats commanding a good proportion of your country's armed forces then off again in a day!

Agree with the drinking, he shouldn't of done that, just out of question are other countries troops dry or is it just us?

14. Missed the fu*king thing, :frustrated: :pissedoff: anyone know if it's to be repeated?

15. I have taped it, to watch tomorrow, but as far as alcohol was concerned, the HQ ISAF compound was a mare due to different national caveats. The 'guidance' from the Boss was 'be responsible', but practice ranged from US - "No alcohol, period" to the Germans - "Ve have our own Support Unit bar and ve'll do vat ve want". In a truly multinational enclosed community such as HQ ISAF, this whole area is a toughie, but thankfully the majority of time was 'alcoholically uneventful'.