The General Election

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by cpunk, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

With a General Election campaign imminent, 'official' Britain is about to enter a period of political 'Purdah' where nothing is to be said or done which appears to favour one party over another. This extends as far as the press, where special rules about equal coverage come into force, amongst other things.

Of course, Arrse is triumphantly unofficial and, despite the occasional claim to the contrary, does not reflect the views of the army, the Ministry of Defence or any particular political party, and as a relatively new medium, it also isn't clear whether the rules which apply to the press apply to internet discussion forums.

So what? The plan is to adopt a position of masterly inactivity for the time being, but please bear the following in mind:

1. With 'official' sources becoming relatively uncommunicative, we can expect to see more journos mining Arrse for stories and comment. As always, think before you post.

2. All of the major parties employ 'sock-puppets' to trawl internet forums posting rumours and rebuttals. Our advice to these maggots? Fuck off and leave us alone, we aren't interested. Any that are identified will be banned.

3. We will keep this policy under review and please bear in mind that I remain, as always, open to bribes of five figures and above.

Otherwise, it's business as usual.
  2. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

What follows is a slightly abridged version of my £0.02 on the discussion going on in the moderator's bit of the site:

3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

How have Ashie and Sven lasted so long :p
  4. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Amusement value
  5. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Sven is, I believe, a one-man propaganda machine without official party backing; Ashie I'm not too sure about, but both are known quantities, as is, for example, Stacker1 as Adolf Hitler's representative on Arrse. All these we can deal with.
  6. Going to be a bit hard to enforce even if they do apply as I don't think an ISP farm in Ulan Bator is going to give much of a feck what the rules are.

Of course if you are running this from your bedroom in Surrey then you might have a different viewpoint.
  7. Not sure any of the 'official' restrictions will affect Arrse: mainstream meejah yes, blogs and independent websites, no.

Vote Conservative.
  8. Sorted. :D
  9. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

I believe the rules around Purdah are designed with a sense of fair play in mind. Because of that it's widely recognised that the Lib Dems need all the help they can get.
  10. Does this mean a deluge of political advertising (and revenue) on ARRSE??
  11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Don't let PTP hear you saying that :p Just kidding. OK now I remembered sven, sorry TK. ;)

I never knew about the whole Purdah thing, it makes sense of course but I didn't know it was official, you live and learn.
  12. I think there should be a prize for the most ridiculous story sourced from ARRSE and printed in a national newspaper. I got a PM with hushmail contact details in response to my post about pi$$ed matelots and nuclear weapons.

Can anybody do better?

The Government seem to have gone into this purdah thing with some gusto and are now choosing to use the BBC News to get the party message across. Apparently we're doing really well and the Government have got this whole economy thing nailed. Phew, I was a bit worried for a minute or two.
  14. How about an ARRSE hustings?

Invite defence spokesmen for a heavily moderated session?

Adult rules apply!
  15. They are "Sock Maggots" perhaps?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.