THE GATE RUNNER: How a bizarre breach at Mildenhall transformed base security across the Air Force

The story was Lions will fight Bears---Britain in WW3 , spring 1988
Published in the Alternate History Discussion Finished timelines by James G
Sorry it wont let me link direct to the story for some reason .
Introduction

March 14th was the first day of World War Three and on that day the British armed forces suffered horrific losses. The Royal Air Force (RAF) had more than six hundred of its personnel killed, the Royal Navy (RN) lost just short of nine hundred when three vessels were sunk yet the British Army had casualties dwarfing those of its sister services: five thousand plus soldiers were killed.

It could have been a lot worse though. If there hadn’t been almost two months of preparations, in the main led by General Sir Brian Kenny – the commander of the British Army of the Rhine – under orders of the UK Government, then five, maybe ten times as many casualties might have been inflicted when the Soviet-led Eastern Bloc forces struck westwards that Monday morning.

Then there were the civilian casualties that were inflicted upon Britain. The absence of deployed thermonuclear weapons meant that millions weren’t killed as many feared, but over three and a half thousand were when conventional weapons were deployed against the UK mainland.

These were the losses on just that first day.
My mistake, this is something else. I’ll have to give it a read.

Slime

LE

Slime

LE
@jumpinjarhead

Why the double groan.

You do know who we are referring to don’t you?

It’s fair to say that Jim Shortt is one of the worlds biggest tellers of tall tales

@jumpinjarhead

Why the double groan.

You do know who we are referring to don’t you?

It’s fair to say that Jim Shortt is one of the worlds biggest tellers of tall tales
I know. My groan was only at the continued play on his name.

Slime

LE
I know. My groan was only at the continued play on his name.
Fair enough, but it wasn't a play on his name, more a comment about his walting tales. Lets face it, the Baron Castleshortt isn't shy of spinning a tall tale.

Fair enough, but it wasn't a play on his name, more a comment about his walting tales. Lets face it, the Baron Castleshortt isn't shy of spinning a tall tale.
I focused on "tall" more than tales. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I enjoy your posts generally.

Slime

LE
I focused on "tall" more than tales. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I enjoy your posts generally.
I can see how 'tall' would be what you focussed on, and why you thought what you did :)
Having a think about my post, Im wondering if I have been unduly affected by reading too many issues of 'combat and survival' magazine back in the '80s. It was never any good, but did feature Jim Shortt quite a lot.

Apologes for thread drift.

Londo

LE
I can see how 'tall' would be what you focussed on, and why you thought what you did :)
Having a think about my post, Im wondering if I have been unduly affected by reading too many issues of 'combat and survival' magazine back in the '80s. It was never any good, but did feature Jim Shortt quite a lot.

Apologes for thread drift.
I think @jumpinjarhead 's " Groan" was all about the one liners posted about the name Shortt and the comment taller

Apparently the bear was subjected to an extraordinary rendition and didnt fare too well under 'interview'
Mr.RaspberryJam-FrontView-GTAV.png

Latest Threads