The Gaming Generation

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BiscuitsAB, Feb 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Listening to the radio a while ago I heard some bloke talking about "the games console and pc gaming generation" and basically saying that this current generation of late teenagers and early twenty something were the Generation that made it all happen.

Well Bollox says I. I remember "Pong" and the first space invaders machine in the village pub. I believe that my generation have seen the whole gaming console and pc gaming word grow from that very basic black and white screen with two bats and a square "ball" to COD4 and beyond.

And I remember getting on the web in 1996 with a crappy dial up modem and 3kbs was a bloody good download speed.

Anyway what I thought I'd do is try and kick off a thread on favorite legacy games. Any age any platform what did you play and maybe still have tucked way in the back of the cupboard?

My most memorable is my first pc game because i spent hours and hours on the damm thing.

[​IMG]

any takers.

2. Manic Minor/Jet Set Willy on the rubber keyed Speccy 48.

3. Well I am a relative sprog, but it was the Sega Master System with Alex the Kidd in Miracle World that really got me into gaming. My older siblings had earlier gaming units which I played, but they were hardly my era.

Also played Doom on the PC at quite an early age, many hours spent playing that. I guess I have had about a good 20 years playing videogames really! Too bad I hate Call of Duty:MW2 so much.

4. I've just resdiscovered the Final Fantasy Games, so bought an old PS2 and am currently played FF7 at the moment, bliss!

5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

still got my Playstation sat on top of the 360... Wipeout 2 and 3 still get given a thrashing from time to time.

my favourite games were on the Amiga though - Microprose's F-19 Steakth Fighter and Deuteros kept me sat in front of the thing for hours. Flight Of The Intruder was an ace flight sim too.

6. Nigs, all of you. I’d played Pong at Speke Airport in the mid-70s.

My first proper game was a typed in program for a Commodore Vic 20 from the back of the “friendly” user manual. The game was something to do with a comet. 3.5k user memory, or 5k in assembler, but some of the games were marvellous, especially Jeff Minter’s Grid Runner.

The NAAFI had sold games consoles before that, but refused to stock the “computer programming” cartridge for the Philips machine with the excuse that “that sort of thing is very hard”. Gits.

Being the hero I am, I believe that I bought the very first “proper” computer ever sold in BFG (that Vic 20). It was advertised in the paper, but it was made clear that the NAAFI would only get one to see how much interest there was, what with squaddies being a bit thick and that.

A quick drive to Paderborn and one annoyed SSM who didn’t have the cash on him but was ahead of me in the queue later and the baby was mine.

10 PRINT “Very Rude word ”;
    20 GOTO 10

Of course, “vic” was very rude in German anyway…

7. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I had a vic 20.

it was shite in retrospect. I used to be pretty handy writing BASIC though.

8. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Pong, Space Invaders, Werewolves of London on the ZX, Manic Miner, Bionic Commando, Amstrad CPC 464 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES), Gameboy, Duck Hunt (with gun). Sonic the Hedgehog (first time round), Amiga 500+/600, Gameboy Advance, Sony Playstation, Sony PSP, 6 different PC's (modded and upgraded, and currently settling with an Xbox and Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, and waiting for Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on my Quad Core (3 year old, mind) PC.

9. I remember my uncle getting Paperboy when it was brand new for the 464 i thought it was the bee's knees he was younger than i am now at the time and that makes me feel my age

10. Elite,on the BBC B,all 32kb of it.
    I used to spend weekends on it (good excuse for not taking the missus to the NAAFI to do the shopping). used to load and save onto my tape casette recorder,and eventually got my stand alone floppy disc drive,wow!

Doom,and all the Quake series. Still got an Amiga 500,and 1200 in the attic,along with an Intellivision games console,and a ZX80 that I put together myself,ah those were the days! :lol:

11. I too had a Vic 20, when I was about ten. I remember a game called Blitz (which took about 15 mins to load from a cassette), which involved a plane travelling from left to right across the screen, dropping one level lower every time it passed. You had to drop bombs on the buildings, clearing the path so that you could land safely. I wonder if some Al Qaeda members had Vic 20's as kids too? :D

12. I had a C64 which I bought second hand back in '89. The best game then? Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising.

13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Ah my mate used to do that some times he'd be playing the whole dammed weekend. wouldnt even come to the Naafi for a few beers fcuking weirdo and now he hasnt even got a net connection or a pc.

14. I have! :lol:

15. Usagi Yojimbo, c64
    [​IMG]

Punch out, Nes
    [​IMG]

Streets of Rage, Megadrive
    [​IMG]

Streetfighter 2, Snes
    [​IMG]

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time,N64
    [​IMG]

Shenmue, Dreamcast