The Future of the REME is Doomed!!!!

Discussion in 'REME' started by Tiffy_A_Mech, Jun 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, I think all those bunches of reeds are a clue.

2. In my day you could rely on a Reccy Mech to get you out of a hole or two.

3. I don't think getting bogged in is the issue (happens to most of us at some point in our career) it is the scandalous act of letting yourself be caught on camera. It is a heinous crime in the Recovery Mechanic fraternity to be caught on film and the Recovery Mechanic in question should be demoted to RLC driver for punishment.

4. It happens on occasion, a few years ago I had just started working for a civvy recovery company, went out to an artic stuck in a rained out field at Badmington horse trials. The chap who took me out had 20 years experience in the industry, but when we got there he promptly started to reverse the wagon onto the field in front of the artic. I was slightly bemused but didn`t want to say anything as I was fairly new to the company.
    We hooked up, but true to form the road going 6 legger started spinning even with diff locks in. We had to send for another wagon to pull us and the artic out, with me running besides our wagon chucking cardboard boxes under the wheels so it could get some grip.
    Should`ve been a 2 hour job at most but it turned into a 6 hour one because of one basic mistake.
    Just out of curiosity, what are the off road capabilities of the vehicle in the vid, it doesn`t look too good ? I `m getting an idea that an old AEC Militant would`ve just plugged it`s way through the mire in crawler in comparison.

5. Pretty slack drills unless things have changed but I'm sure as feck I wouldn't be standing by the cable when towing...

• Like Like x 1
  6. at first i thought this link was about me and my fellow course just about to pass the tiffy course.........but no it just raises questoins about RECCE mechs?

7. What a bunch of Muppets.
    Recovery calcs.? How far apart were the 2 vehicles, 2 drongos standing between the vehs by the winch rope, AND why was the wrecker there in the first place?
    8wd only works when 8 wheels are contacting the ground.

8. Forgot about Richie, funny clip!

9. Ahhh Ritchie! What a character! He was once quoted as saying "I think you'll find foden is my forte"

10. They looked like the wheels were contacting the ground ok (and the diffs)

11. Not quite as bad as this one though, got shown it a few years ago now....check the parking brake before lifting :)

12. Not bothered about the wrecker getting bogged, they go to boggy places and shit happens. But this is embarrassing on so many other levels.

Stepping over a winch rope (instead of standing on it) and standing so close to one under tension, are liable to get you killed and would certainly result in an instructor on any validation course stopping the job. Basic errors like that get sorted at Bordon on a class 3.

However, using a winch rope as a fecking tow rope is unforgivable. The damage that can cause will VOR a waggon for months, and the Recy Mech in charge of that job needs retraining, at the very least.

And they all think it's funny.

******* cowboys.

• Like Like x 3