The future of the L29A1 sharp shooter

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by thecoops, Mar 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's gonna' happen to the sharp shooter when we pull out of Afghan ? Is it still going to be part of the section ?
  2. theres only 450 of them.

yep, thats more then enough to equip every section left in about 3 years.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. I don't know, but I want one if they're getting rid of them.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. That was just the initial purchase the M.O.D ordered more . I can see it staying as the spotters rifle in a sniper pair.
  5. Wasn't it a UOR though?

So presumably if it's to be a piece of future kit, they'll have to do a proper procurement process which it may or may not win.
  6. The service life of the L129A1 is forecast till 2015, so just after picking up the brass in Helmand. They only brought enough to cover Herrick and training so not enough to issue out to the Infantry once its all done. I predict they'll go the way of the Riot Gun and rot in Donnington or they can be easily sold back to LMT/ LEI to sell on the US civvie market.
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

US market? Sod that, why should the septics get first dibs, I want [and can legally have] one.
  8. Seems a bit of a waste really

9. A neat summation of UK defence procurement.
    • Like Like x 7
  10. Yep, but apparently getting something that works out of the box, and is needed by the Field Army via the UOR process, isnt as cost effective as the "real procurement process"

I cant work that out either!
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Ex military rifles on the US market? Didn't the GCA 68 ban that? That would mean that Alsacien and I would be spoilt for choice. Decisions, decisions, life is soooooo hard.
  12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

There would still be 448 available.....

The thing that hacks me off is the big US importers buying in bulk at source for next to rock all, then retailing them in the US for 30-60% of what they would fetch in Europe. Just because the European market is more fractured and nobody is big enough to want the hassle of retailing in a dozen or so countries.
    M41b being a case to point, I still want a good one at a good price, but it ain't gonna happen, I've looked for 5-6 years...
  13. there's no reason why they couldn't have sold off the cadet L98A1's as perfectly legal straight pulls on the UK civvy shooting market.

but they didn't/wouldn't.
  14. How exactly?
    Convert to straight pull?