The future meaning of words.....

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by regular_imbiber, Nov 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it possible, do you think, that in due course the actual and correct meanings of words will be lost and superseded by the incorrect meaning for which they are used?

I'm thinking of the recent and popular trends for using "of" and "have" incorrectly e.g "he shouldnt of been promoted" and also "bought" and "brought" e.g "I brought a new car".

It fuckin drives me mental, and while it might be understandable at Chav level its mind-boggling that these incorrect uses can be seen amid defence writing and perpetrated by senior soldiers.

2. Mrs Malaprop,,Malapropism,,

I like these,

"nit on the bonk of the Thames"

Create a little dysentery among the ranks."

"What a terrible cat's after me!"

Irene Lorenzo, Queen of the Women's Lubrication Movement."

A woman doctor is only good for women's problems...like your groinocology."

A Menstrual show" (i.e., minstrel)

Last will and tentacle..."

etc etc etc......

3. I thought you were going to bang on about words like "gay" and so on.

4. Or like 'curvy' being used instead of 'grossly obese'....

• Like Like x 2
  5. Of course the meanings and usage will change. English has always been prone to semantic shift.

Of the top of my head I can think of a few famous ones.

Awful = inspiring awe.
    Gay = Happy and carefree.

You get the idea.

6. 'Discrete' has been turned into an alternative spelling of 'discreet' by illiterates.

7. I like 'pacifically'. A genius word used with those with acute retardation.

8. Decimate - now apparently means devastate, rather than reduce by 10%
    Myself - apparently now a substitute for 'I'

9. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

"Really should not be in charge of a Regiment" instead of "CUNT"

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

I was watching one of those chat shows the other night, and they kept using that word - it was getting on my tits. Cant remember the programme now, but we are talking people in suits, so not exactly Big Brother's Big Mouth or The Only Way is Geordie/Jersey made in Chelsea shite.

There's a few old threads knocking about - this subject tends to surface every now and again.

My gripes are:

Probably/Proberly
    They're/There/Their
    Something/Anything/Everything/fink
    Would have/Would of
    Tenter/Tenderhooks

And my all time most annoying gripe of all time ever:

The way we, like, adopt the like, Americanisms, you know, like, using the word "like", you know, like, all the time, like, especially, like, on TV interviews with, like, people, like, on camera.

I'm going to step away from the computer now, before I start hitting my keys harder and using italics and bold fonts.

• Like Like x 3
  11. I'm not sure what you mean with this one. Can you be more pacific?

• Like Like x 3
  12. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Starting sentences with 'Because', using me and xxxx rather than xxxx and I. I try not to do it myself (probably not very good English but it didn't make sense without it) but they don't really bother me as long as the meaning is clear and accurate communication occurs.

I have greater issues with 'they're, their, and there, you're and your, of and off because it can be quite hard to read when they're mixed up.

There are also the odd military ones like 'staple' belt. What on earth do they think it means?

Then again I'm dyslexic so my spelling is atrocious when there is no spell checker to hand.

13. A friend of me told me last night about a time some years ago, when he was working with a black man (who apparently had the most massive chip on his shoulder) who, on hearing the word 'niggardly' being used, instantly reacted with "That's racist that is". :roll:

14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

'Can' and 'may' which often seem to be interchangeable.

15. A civil serpent of some kind in the US got sacked from his job for using that word, eventually he was reinstated because he was gay and the other chutney-ferrets kicked off about him being binned.