The Future Infantry Soldier Technology (FIST)

Under FIST, the infantryman's SA80 assault rifle will be fitted with an enhanced sighting system on the weapon or linked to the soldier's helmet mounted sight.
So, what's the first stage - A2 helmet strap conversion or just superglue?

Batteries not included !

I remember being DS on one of the early trials of Fist...fond memories of it pissing with rain on Salisbury plain and hearing the odd scream or loud swearing as jocks were electrocuted by the hardware.

Christ but it was funny watching people trying to wriggle out of it or running around screaming for someone to get it off their backs.

That would be another BAe Systems coup then :roll:

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
The clothing will reduce the soldier's visual, radar and infrared signatures as well as providing personal temperature control and environmental protection. The clothing might have built in wires or a type of wireless technology such as Bluetooth to interconnect the FIST components

oooo will we be able to swap ringtones??

chrisg46 said:
The clothing will reduce the soldier's visual, radar and infrared signatures as well as providing personal temperature control and environmental protection
Temperature control, sounds like Star Wars to me
Just like these guys

If they are going down the StarWars road maybe they'll recreate the Empire. :eek:

Though dono about the clothing reducing the soldier's visual, radar and infrared signatures.
Dont know wether the towel heads have got any Apache Attack Helicopter to pick up heat signal. :eek:
Maybe they are workin on one, possibly called the shi'it 64.

I had read somewhere, probably a computer tech journal, that one of the principle problems with the development of integrated personal information systems for the battlefield is the speed of development/trials or rather lack of.

By the time the initial phase of testing is over the technology involved has been so outmoded by developments in the mainstream computer world that facilities for further testing or manufacture no longer exist.

I've been saying it for years, now it's official...We're all gonna get FIST-ed! Seriously though, does anyone out there remember the Soldier2000 project? That never happened either.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Seems to be a brilliant idea and all lawyers should advocate for it(pun intended). This will mean that every shot can be checked back, with colour video footage to show that if Pte Blogs was .0000000000000001 of a second too late in firing he can go to jail for life plus. Senior occifers will then feel totally vindicated that they have supported their soldier right up until he pulled the trigger (on their orders). :x

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Roadless said:
chrisg46 said:
The clothing will reduce the soldier's visual, radar and infrared signatures as well as providing personal temperature control and environmental protection
Temperature control, sounds like Star Wars to me
Just like these guys

If they are going down the StarWars road maybe they'll recreate the Empire. :eek:

Though dono about the clothing reducing the soldier's visual, radar and infrared signatures.
Dont know wether the towel heads have got any Apache Attack Helicopter to pick up heat signal. :eek:
Maybe they are workin on one, possibly called the shi'it 64.
Are we all going to get Stirling SMGs like his?

Swedes?

I worked of several aspects of this program. All the best inovations and usefull parts were ditched and all the crap bits kept!!!!!

Example: do you go for state of the art, armoured solid state units that use next generation fabics as the data/power buses, reducing weight, increasing protection and waterproof, or do you just go with the bits of laptop stuffed into a back pack and some wires?

A - Bits of craqp in a sack please says DPA!!!!

Do you go with flip down light weight display unit which doubles up as night vision and weapons site, or just go with the heavy, chunky display googles that just about show the weopon site and glow in the dark showing where you are?

A - Glow baby glow says DPA!!!

I have now left the Defence industry after seeing time after time that the Procurement decicions are made by people with a political agender and no interest in procuring better equipment/weapons for the troops!!!!!

Rant over :D

Carcass said:
Possibly.

It'll never work if it has anything to do with Windows.

A mate of mine worked on the project and was shown sniggering in the background in a BBC documentary about it. The project boffin leader (big beard, bit of a gut, Millets combats, water bottle on hip, clip-on sunshades flipped up - yeah, looked the business) was explaining to the senior guy from the Infantry Trials and Development Unit what 'the issue' was. Says the ITDU guy - 'I'll tell you what the 'issue' is - it doesn't bloody work'. The majority of the programme saw him 'trusting' FIST (i.e. to test it) and he ended up guided by the 'kit' to end up in a different corner of the training area to the rest of the BG, he'd had to gaffa tape the goggles 'n' bits to his helmet because they kept falling off (etc.) I remember laughing my head off.

My mate also did the trials on the 'new' sleeping bags. They'd get a few blokes in, bung them £50 and put them in a big fridge-room. The experiments were basically a tap on the window, 'too cold yet? No?' and hen keep turning the temperature down until they'd all turned blue and their tackle turned inside out.

What a job (for pub stories, anyway).

SCoy

War Hero
Bluetooth?

What happens when the Ops briefing is hacked by a picture of your mates c*ck?

The hacking problem is worth considering though. Or even EMP disruption...

Can't wait for the first squaddie to be able to re-configure his to watch MOTD :D