The future for Saudi and the Gulf oil states?

I was under the impression that Saudi already had a proxy nuclear capability, having bankrolled Pakistan's nuclear weapons Development?

I’m not sure Saudi Arabia saying they’ll go for nukes if Iran gets them is the same as Iran being confined by the JCPOA and the UNSC making numerous unanimous Resolutions on DPRK for doing it. I suppose it comes down to a certain mindset.

I don’t believe somebody saying something is the same as having a programme and being sanctioned for it or ‘confined’ by an international agreement is the same as ‘if x gets them we will also get them’, but I’m sure others do .......

I don’t believe somebody saying something is the same as having a programme and being sanctioned for it or ‘confined’ by an international agreement is the same as ‘if x gets them we will also get them’, but I’m sure others do
We can remember what was said when Iran and DPRK were talking about getting nuclear weapons in response to their opponents having same; and we can compare it to what's being said when Saudi Arabia expresses the same intent.

The coalition of the willing-to-promote-their-own-interests-under-the-guise-of-upholding-principle in action again.

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
I’m not sure Saudi Arabia saying they’ll go for nukes if Iran gets them is the same as Iran being confined by the JCPOA and the UNSC making numerous unanimous Resolutions on DPRK for doing it. I suppose it comes down to a certain mindset.

I don’t believe somebody saying something is the same as having a programme and being sanctioned for it or ‘confined’ by an international agreement is the same as ‘if x gets them we will also get them’, but I’m sure others do .......
Apologist

We can remember what was said when Iran and DPRK were talking about getting nuclear weapons in response to their opponents having same; and we can compare it to what's being said when Saudi Arabia expresses the same intent.

The coalition of the willing-to-promote-their-own-interests-under-the-guise-of-upholding-principle in action again.
We can remember and both undertook programmes. Tmk, Iran doesn’t have nukes yet

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs

We Brits do sell them lots of shiny weapons, so it would be rude to condemn the nice Saudis

Some nations are far more worrying than others - As such some will be given more leeway or simply not raise the same concerns.

Having said that - I would trust Iran with nukes more than I would the Saudis with an electric toothbrush

We can remember and both undertook programmes.
I guess we're lucky in having a government that can read the future when it issues condemnatory statements in some cases but not others.

Phew, lucky escape or what?

I guess we're lucky in having a government that can read the future when it issues condemnatory statements in some cases but not others.

Phew, lucky escape or what?
I guess we must. Maybe they have different information on Saudi Arabia than they did on Iran? The Europeans have more submissions for the JCPOA so it may not fail.

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is in the US attempting to polish up Saudi Arabia's image there. Crown Prince charm offensive: 4 reasons Saudi Arabia's reformist royal is courting Trump
The White House hosts the House of Saud's new designated successor on Tuesday. It will be the third face-to-face meeting between Saudi Arabia's reform-minded Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and U.S. President Donald Trump, as the Kingdom embarks on a charm offensive.
In an interview with the American press, Salman said that "only death" would limit his leadership, which could extend for more than half a century.
Salman, 32, who told 60 Minutes that "only death" would inhibit his leadership, could well rule for more than half a century as the most powerful Saudi in generations.
Among the issues he is expected to address are Saudi Arabia's nuclear ambitions, which include setting up a uranium enrichment capability.
His talk with Trump will likely include, among other things, a reaffirmation of Saudi plans to enrich uranium and match Iran's nuclear program.
In addition, Saudi Arabia intends to sell a 5 percent stake in the national oil company Aramco in order to raise money for diversifying the economy away from oil.
That's part of the reason Salman, known as M.B.S., wants to privatize five per cent of Aramco, to use the proceeds to develop other industries within the kingdom.
Economic growth in Saudi Arabia last year was negligible (0.1%).
As oil prices have plunged, the world's largest oil exporter plans to sell five per cent of Aramco, the state-owned oil company, next year. Meanwhile, the Saudi GDP was forecast to have a negligible growth of 0.1 per cent in 2017.
The object of the PR campaign will be to persuade westerners that Saudi Arabia is serious about social reforms, including providing more opportunities for women.
All of this will be wrapped up in a national re-branding push for the Gulf nation as Salman relaxes hardline religious regulations to open cinemas and allow women to drive, join the military and attend sports games.
This is intended to portray Saudi Arabia as being a "safe" place for foreign investment. This effort which will be somewhat challenging given the recent events where various wealthy people were squeezed for money based on allegations of corruption.
"It's trying to convince Americans that this is the new Saudi Arabia," says David Ottaway, a Middle East fellow at the Wilson Center, a nonpartisan research centre. "Dynamic, progressive, that they won't seize your assets."

That effort will be complicated by the sudden detentions and reports of abuse of wealthy princes, moguls and businessmen put under house arrest as part of an anti-corruption campaign in November.

A good place to get the inside track of what is happening in Saudi and other ME countries is the Ex-Muslim Reddit group - Exchange ideas! • r/exmuslim
(I honestly feel sorry for a lot of the people on there, it's like coming out of a cult and still being unsure that reality is actually as it seems)

Still it's very good for getting on the ground feedback about the 'modernising' policies of Bin Salman

For instance, this nugget - Saudi crown prince says women need not wear head cover makes for some interesting comments:
In short, it probably matters not a jot what is decreed, but what 'society' will allow.
I think it will be many, many years until Saudi comes up to anything like the modern world in regards to attitudes and abilities, although I do believe their youth will be a major driving force behind this.
I do have to wonder if BS had read up on the French Revolution and little bells started to ring.

Whereas the PRC is happy to sell missiles and missile technology to both sides.

Whereas the PRC is happy to sell missiles and missile technology to both sides.
Which automatically makes what the UK government does wholly moral and consistent with its own stated principles and the standards to which it holds others.

Hang on...

Latest Threads