The funeral of Private Johnathon Wysoczan 1 Staffords

From the message boards

'Vis Unita Fortior' United Strength is Stronger. I have just receieved wrist bands from the STAFFORDS to support the Military Ward at Selly Oak hospital this is where all soldiers injured on Operations are cared for. If anyone would like a wrist band for £1 to pledge support come into the Careers Office after Monday 12th March. At present I only have 80 so first come first serve.
Sgt Karl Shanahan, Armed Forces Careers Office, Stoke-on-Trent
http://www.army.mod.uk/aff/how_you_are_helping_others/index.htm

Staffordshire Regiment - supporting the military ward at Selly Oak hospital

A small group of wives from the Regiment got together and decided that they would like to do something to raise money for charity. Sadly it was at that time that 19 Bde took it's first casualties and as a result Selly Oak Hospital was chosen as the beneficiary of all the profits made from the venture.
It was quickly decided that the sale of tried and tested wristbands was the way forward. Next came what to write on it? The wives wanted a motto or motif that would be "universal" and appeal to "all cap badges". So a competition was ran through the Families newsletter to get a feel for present thinking and to get some ideas. The chosen submission was 'Vis unita fortior-United strength is stronger'
No matter what your Regiment or Corps the sentiment is the same... By sticking together you are stronger! They can be worn by anyone and the message will always mean something. By purchasing a wristband you will be supporting the Military ward* at Selly Oak Hospital.

Distribution is an issue but for the cost of a £1 we will send them out to you. Please send a SAE with payment for the amount you require to our office or they can be collected. The address is: 1 Staffords, Unit Welfare Office, Mooltan Lodge, St Georges Road, Tidworth, SP9 7EN and cheques should be made payable to 'Central Bank 1 staffords'. For further information please call 01980 602419 or email staffords.uwo@ntlworld.com

Thank you for your support

*Please be assured that soldiers at Selly Oak Hospital are not in need of any items required for their treatment or recovery. Money raised will be for the purpose of anything that will make their 'hopefully' short stay more

Hadn't realised it was today. I could have been there if I'd known. I'll see what I can do for the Hospital fund.

RIP

The Knot Unites

Dear Sir Please could you print this poem in honour of all the brave Soldiers, especially my Nephew Leigh Dennis (Engineers):
There is discipline in A Soldier you can see it when he walks,
There is Honour in A Soldier you hear it when he talks,
There is Courage in A Soldier you can see it in his eyes,
There is loyalty in A Soldier that he will not compromise,
There is something in A Soldier that makes him stand apart,
There is strength in A Soldier that beats in his heart,
A Soldier isn't a title any man can be hired to do,
A Soldier is the soul of that Man buried deep inside of you,
A Soldier's job isn't finished after an 8 hour day or a 40 hour week,
A Soldier is always A Soldier even when he sleeps,
A Soldier serves his country first and the life he's left behind,
A Soldier has to sacrifice what comes first in a civilians mind,
If you are a civilian - I'm saying this to you,
Next time you see A Soldier remember what they do,
A Soldier is the reason our land is Home of the free,
A Soldier is the one that is brave protecting you and me,
If you are A Soldier I'm saying this to you,
THANK GOD FOR EVERY SOLDIER, THANK GOD FOR WHAT YOU DO.

A sentiment, echoing through the ages.

WII

It is the soldier who salutes the flag
and is buried with the flag
GIVES you the right to burn the flag.

PS

Thank You, come home safe