The Fun Police strike again (PRS this time)

#2
Load of bollox, the radio station pays the royalty.
 
#3
Have I missed the point, surely the point of a radio station is to broadcast music ( or drama/news etc in the caseof R4) to the general public - in fact I believe in the war it was specifically broadcast to factory workers etc?

I could just about see it as an ridiculous H&S measure, but performing rights? What if I play my car radio too loudly? Am I too in breach of this? If so think of all the chavvy boy racers that are about to be sued. Perhaps we all need headphones.
 
#4
Whatever next... does this spell the end for those annoying idiots on the train who delight us with the drum beat of their ipod melodies. :wink:
 
#6
and also if you have more that one person in the car, you would not be allowed to switch the radio on!!
 
#8
a radio is either a transmitter or a receiver or in some cases both... its doing what its designed to.. and quite rightly said above by Ord_Sgt the radio station in question pays the royalties.. I cannot believe that the judge involved is actually allowing this case to go forward... how pathetic can this country get ?
 
#9
ExScaleyBleep said:
a radio is either a transmitter or a receiver or in some cases both... its doing what its designed to.. and quite rightly said above by Ord_Sgt the radio station in question pays the royalties.. I cannot believe that the judge involved is actually allowing this case to go forward... how pathetic can this country get ?
Why not waste money on such a court case that will go on for ages and make alot of people alot of money.

Fcuk letting joe bloggs get into court and sue comet for making him wait 3 weeks for a fridge/freezer (that he paid for) when its stored 2 miles away in a depot.
 
#11
Bad_Crow said:
ExScaleyBleep said:
a radio is either a transmitter or a receiver or in some cases both... its doing what its designed to.. and quite rightly said above by Ord_Sgt the radio station in question pays the royalties.. I cannot believe that the judge involved is actually allowing this case to go forward... how pathetic can this country get ?
Why not waste money on such a court case that will go on for ages and make alot of people alot of money.

Fcuk letting joe bloggs get into court and sue comet for making him wait 3 weeks for a fridge/freezer (that he paid for) when its stored 2 miles away in a depot.
And the judiciary wonder why we have little faith in them or the courts, i can only surmise that they care little about this perception and care little about the fact that scurrilous cases undermine the rule of law.
 
#12
halo_jones said:
Bad_Crow said:
ExScaleyBleep said:
a radio is either a transmitter or a receiver or in some cases both... its doing what its designed to.. and quite rightly said above by Ord_Sgt the radio station in question pays the royalties.. I cannot believe that the judge involved is actually allowing this case to go forward... how pathetic can this country get ?
Why not waste money on such a court case that will go on for ages and make alot of people alot of money.

Fcuk letting joe bloggs get into court and sue comet for making him wait 3 weeks for a fridge/freezer (that he paid for) when its stored 2 miles away in a depot.
And the judiciary wonder why we have little faith in them or the courts, i can only surmise that they care little about this perception and care little about the fact that scurrilous cases undermine the rule of law.
Bang on the money me thinks
 
#13
This case seems a little petty to me and deserves to lose. If Kwik-Fit were re-brodcasting the radio music over load-speakers I could understand it being a 'Public Broadcast' but not a fitters personnal radio which you 'may' overhear, where as others rightly say the radio station has already paid a broadcast fee for 'personnal use'

Sky TV has a similar action against pubs who do not pay a Commercial Premises fee for large screen TV's in bars where it can be 100's of pounds for an extra usage fee on top of the government's TV license.

With Sky this is done by a higher monthly fee than you or I pay at home:

http://business.sky.com/pubs_packages.asp
 
#14
i have just passed the builders at the top of our rd who are renovating a house..
their radio is blasting down the street..
i was tempted to tell them about this but thought better of it..

IT IS SO TRIVIAL AND STUPID..

BESIDES,,THERE WAS MORE OF THEM AND THEY ARE BIGGER THAN ME..
 
#15
IIRC some years ago a hairdresser was taken to court for having a radio (wireless, it was a long time ago) playing in the salon. So it's not a new phenomenon.
Perhaps this is a test as a result of the recent case of illegal downloads from the net.
 
#16
Licensing Laws also require you to have a Music Licence if you listen to music that can be heard by members of the public. A flower shop in Birmingham recently got fined as a member of their staff forgot to close a door to the rear of the shop and they had a radio on in there: No licence, nice fine.

PRS are grabbing what they can at the moment, there's lots on their fight to get royalties from Internet radio too.
 
#17
"At a procedural hearing at the Court of Session in Edinburgh a judge refused to dismiss the £200,000 damages claim."

No sh1t Tonto (can I say Tonto - was he gay?). Him and his like (fcuking lawyers) will be wallowing in this for weeks. Luckily for the lawyers and unlucky for the PRS, Tom Farmer will not take it up the arrse.

This is the man who paid BT to phone each of his outlets and if the phone wasn't answered within 5 seconds the boss of said Establishment got a serious interview without coffee. So I doubt the representatives of a bunch of luvvies are going to make him sh1t himself.

Edited once for cr@p spelling.
 
#18
I'm not sure that you can really blame the judge as he's obliged to listen to a complaint lodged before him if it has any kind of merit on the face of it. I'm afraid that judges simply aren't allowed to throw out cases because they're "silly". Sadly, once some muppet issues proceedings the judge has no choice but to look at it.

You can, however, blame the PRS for being a bunch of dicks and bringing the case to Court in the first place.

Personally, I hope the PRS gets a spanking by Kwik Fit and ends up paying a small fortune in costs.
 
#19
I can see this is going to be unpopular but radio broadcasts are licenced for private listening only. If you own business premises and you have a radio playing you NEED a PRS licence for the "public" performance.

Wearing my personnel hat some years ago now I had to go through the relevant legislation as the PRS were about to give my then employer a beasting over a radio in a general office. The solution was to ban all radios from the office unless being listened to on headphones or fork out about £120 for a licence.

I'd love to see this civil law being used against the chavs with excessive stereos! (Cannot imagine it working though, the PRS will only chase people likely to pay).
 
#20
Been around along time so whats all the fuss? all pubs and clubs have to have a licence,even our small country village club has one.
You work/produce something you get paid for it,simple really.PRS collect the wages.
PRS...
'If you play music in your business or want to include it in your product you need clearance to do so from the owners of that music. PRS and MCPS represent the owners and can get you the clearances you need. We are a not-for-profit organisation, enabling you access to the world's music in the most efficient way.'
Web Page Name
 

Similar threads


New Posts

Latest Threads

Top