The Fukarwe Award!

Everyone's been there, for those who haven't, you never navigated, I'll post my Fukarwe award, (1977 Brecon, night nav of course) at a later date, enter yours here, let's have a howler, mine was pre sat nav, pre calc, we had to use what was called a brain, oh, now I can nav by the stars,
Every Fri night, trying to find my gaff!!

Regiment Rodders, golden lab et al, night-ex, map, watch, compass bunch of non soldering trades all over Sunnybridge in the dark.

Brill!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Everyone's been there, for those who haven't, you never navigated, I'll post my Fukarwe award, (1977 Brecon, night nav of course) at a later date, enter yours here, let's have a howler, mine was pre sat nav, pre calc, we had to use what was called a brain, oh, now I can nav by the stars,
Every Fri night, trying to find my gaff!!
I forgot to add, you must say where you eventually ended up!
Is there a point to this?

Some facts? An amusing military based anecdote perhaps, or is this thread heading for a deep dark place where it will die slowly, with no chance of it being found by even the most accomplished Silva operator.

Anyone lost on land just isn't trying hard enough. Maps, compasses, landmarks, GPS etc all make it very easy indeed. I don't think I've ever been seriously lost on land. I might have been down the wrong street, or on the opposite side of a wood to where I should be, but it's not difficult to either a) go round the block or b) go round the wood.

But, take that idea to water, and unless you have a sextant or GPS, you can rapidly get yourself in the shite-a-mundo. Even then, it's not that hard to rescue yourself, unless you're in a very large ocean. If you're in the English Channel and can't see land, just head north. Unless you're French, of course. Don't know which way is north? a) use the sun. b) sell the boat, you're not fit to operate it.

The above applies to men, obviously. Women need to keep the fook away from navigation and concentrate on beer resup.

I was doing a stand in at Chester Tp, received a task and proceeded in the direction of Nantwich. Because of the heavy traffic I worked with the no2 to get through it, when I eventually called the copper on scene his reply was

"Why are you going to Nantwich? It's in Northwich"

So we turned around to cut through all the traffic going the other direction.

Bugger!

I was doing a stand in at Chester Tp, received a task and proceeded in the direction of Nantwich. Because of the heavy traffic I worked with the no2 to get through it, when I eventually called the copper on scene his reply was

"Why are you going to Nantwich? It's in Northwich"

So we turned around to cut through all the traffic going the other direction.

Bugger!

Good job it wasn't anything important Ding.

Is there a point to this?

Some facts? An amusing military based anecdote perhaps, or is this thread heading for a deep dark place where it will die slowly, with no chance of it being found by even the most accomplished Silva operator.
Jarrod will (be able to) find it wherever you hide it Mr Marte. You know that...

ACAB

LE
I did the Night Nav exercise on my Junior Brecon course in '83. It was cold and miserable and so was I. At stupid o'clock in the morning I finally arrived at the FRV only to see the whole squad sitting in the back of the 4 tonner drinking hot tea. Sweating like a scouser in a BMW showroom I despondently reported to the Directing Staff with my little card showing the check points I had reached. "Where the fuck have you been" was the first words out his mouth followed by "Oh" when he realised I was the only fucker who had completed the complete course within the allotted time. Bastards!

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
I did the Night Nav exercise on my Junior Brecon course in '83. It was cold and miserable and so was I. At stupid o'clock in the morning I finally arrived at the FRV only to see the whole squad sitting in the back of the 4 tonner drinking hot tea. Sweating like a scouser in a BMW showroom I despondently reported to the Directing Staff with my little card showing the check points I had reached. "Where the **** have you been" was the first words out his mouth followed by "Oh" when he realised I was the only ****** who had completed the complete course within the allotted time. Bastards!
But that's why you were a sergeant in the Irish Guards.

And an instructor to boot.

And a crack detective.

And a mercinary.

And a crime and war fiction writer.

Such a shame to see a man of your calibre a PCSO now.

ACAB

LE
@Drivers_lag
11 Platoon, Guards Depot 1983.jpg

Pray, do tell, what part of me resembles an Irish Guardsman?

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Cool. Is this the start of the Friday night Flanfest?

ACAB

LE
I love the way you single out being in the Irish Guards as the number one insult.

Have a like.
Could be worse, you could have insinuated I was a Grenadier.

Latest Threads