The Front Page

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Bat_Crab, Jan 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why does the ARRSE front page now no longer include the number of posts in a thread?

It may sound trivial, but when someone creates a thread entitled "Peter Hain Implicated in New Scandal" or similar it is useful to judge whether the scandal is genuinely new or a thread which has been running for ages!

Am I being pointlessly ****, jumping the gun or missing something?
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I'm trying to make it less messy, and decided that it was of little use to have the number of posts per thread there, likewise the date since it's pretty obvious.

If the detail on the front isn't enough for you I suggest using the "Newest Posts" in the main menu.
  3. Agreed with the date, but I don't think it looked messy to start with, in fact it is a darn site better than most other forum sites. Am I the only one who finds the post count useful in ensuring equilibrium in my work/ARRSE balance?
  4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Like I said, just use the link in the main menu and you're sorted. I think there are a very small proportion of people who care about that on the front, and a lot of regulars who don't even use the front page.

It doesn't look so bad once you're used to it, but it was pointed out to me yesterday that it is / was chaotic for the forum-site novice. Fair one.
  5. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

It definitely looks less cluttered without the date, but (like Bat Crab already stated) the number of posts is a good indicator to judge if a thread is worth a visit or not.
  6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Then I suggest using the 'recent posts' page. Made for the job.
  7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

just in case you don't believe me:
  8. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Fair one, however my own personal preference is for the front page to pop up when I log on, and found the posts-per-thread count useful when doing so. The front page just looks a bit more welcoming than the rather sterile "recent posts" page.

It's not my site though :D
  9. Agreed it has much better access to the rest of the site than the recent posts page although I suspect I may be micturating upwind on this matter.
  10. Same as here.
    Didn't find the front page cluttered and used the post count to see if the thread was worth a visit during work hours. :D
  11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

If the only issue here is that one page with recent posts on looks more interesting than the other with recent posts on, then I think there's not too much to worry about. They are after all only one click apart.
  12. My God! Is this the ARRSE first cutback!

I'm outraged!
  13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

The use the bloody recent posts page FFS. Is this a wind-up this morning? If so it's working.
  14. Also, the centre alignment of the new page gives me the impression of confusion.

Can we go back to the orderly left aligned fields?
  15. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I haven't changed the alignment (check the other themes if you don't believe me). And on that note - thread lock.