The French Rich - Outstandingly Stupid or What?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Only just spotted this.

The fake minister in a silicone mask who stole millions
Identity theft is said to be the world's fastest-growing crime, but in sheer chutzpah there can be few cons to match the story of the fake French minister and his silicone mask. For two years from late 2015, an individual or individuals impersonating France's defence minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian, scammed an estimated €80m (£70m; $90m) from wealthy victims including the Aga Khan and the owner of Château Margaux wines. The hustle required targets to believe they were being contacted by Mr Le Drian, who then requested financial help to pay ransoms for journalists being held hostage by Islamists in the Middle East... In meetings arranged on Skype, the fraudster wore a custom-made Le Drian mask and sat in a facsmile of Le Drian's ministerial office, complete with flags and portrait of then-President François Hollande.
Real minister on left - fake on right.

1563185783923.png

One latex mask (£100), one fake office (£500), one fake Skype Account (£0) - £70 million profit.

You have to laugh....

F---ing idiots...

Wordsmith :bow:

Whining Civvy

Old-Salt
Well I happen to think that that's an exceptionally convincing mask, actually. Sort of. If it was half dark, I was coked up, drunk on over-priced French swill, and in possession of a quite gargantuan ego which swelled upon being contacted by a minister to such a degree that I was unable to see past it.

You could have just taken rich out of the headline

If they'd looked under the desk they'd see he was wearing boating shoes.

Serpico

Old-Salt
If they'd looked under the desk they'd see he was wearing boating shoes.
Bet he showed them pictures of the yacht he would rescue the aforementioned hostages with too

1) Obtain picture of yacht
2) Join ARRSE
3) ???????????
4) PROFIT!!!

Bet he showed them pictures of the yacht he would rescue the aforementioned hostages with too

1) Obtain picture of yacht
2) Join ARRSE
3) ???????????
4) PROFIT!!!
Presumably the underpant gnomes first have to obtain a picture of a yacht

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
gaijin The Intelligence Cell 57
CaptainRidiculous Tanks, planes & ships 12
C The NAAFI Bar 2