The French re-write l'histoire

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Aug 25, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Paris marks liberation from Nazis

You ungrateful Frog Bastiges.

SO the French liberated Paris did they? Really? Was it like the Warsaw uprising then? Or did the vast majority of the French population sit around on their derrieres ,except a few brave Communists who rose against the German garrison, and got soundly spanked for their temerity?

Eisenhower made a political decision,in the face of strong lobbying by De Gaulle, to allow 2nd Armoured to enter Paris to "Liberate it"

The German Garrison already wanted to jack and save Paris from house to house fighting, in direct contradiction of Hitler's orders.

Liberation of Paris by the French my couilles. :evil:

It was us, the Americans,some Free Frenchmen and ironically the Germans that saved Paris. The Brave "Resistance" in Paris didn't put in an appearance till after we rolled up , then set about vital resistance tasks like tarrring and feathering "collaborators" and generally behaving in typical beastly French fashion.

I wonder when the French are going to celebrate Dunkirk Day? That would be the celebration where WE lifted over 100,000 French troops from the mole, in order to fight another day, or are they going to conveniently forget/re-write that too?

2. I recall reading fairly recently about some kind of volunteer Field Ambulance type unit, consisting oretty largely of British female volunteers. They had accompanied the French Div through a fair bit of fighting, and where going to parade into Paris, quite naturally, alongside Les Grenouilles. From what I recall they where told in pretty menacing tones, that they had done their bit and where no longer welcome on the French parade.

To be fair to the Frogs, I was at Pegasus Bridge for the 60th of D-Day. The warmth of feeling from them and the overall effort they put in made me change my opinion - at least of the French in Normandy.

3. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

P-T-P

Not much chance of the Frogs celebrating Dunkirk as so many of those Frenchies lifted from the mole/beaches asked to go home when they arrived in England and were repatriated, thereby taking no further part in the war.

The quote from the BBC "a tribute to the men and women whose courage restored France's national pride." I think French national pride was only restored in GW1 when the French forces acted so well. Pity they baulked at GW2.

4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Ah the Normans, I'd hardly insult them as being actually French !
    They're decendants of Vikings to told the indigenous frogs to phuqez off when they moved into Northern France about 1200 - 1400 years ago. (And they make some great hootch !)
    :lol: :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Bit cynical PTP !

They're a loyal and trustworthy ally, we should be proud to have such brave men in NATO, from regiments with battle honours stretching back over hundreds of years. They're decendants of the men who while greatly outnumbered, sickened and underfed fought and beat the British at such glorious French victories as Crecy, Poitiers and Agincourt...... :wink:

6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The Frogs have always been liars, and enemies of the British:

'Down with the damned French villains! My blood boils at the name of a Frenchman! Down, down with the French! … is my constant prayer.'
    - Admiral Lord Nelson

7. It it because the French are such lying scum that makes Bliar so fond of them? Perhaps he's French

8. nonsense virobono

Look at all the brave french people who fought with SOE

9. Sorry, but this just has to be said:

"French army rifles, excellent condition, never fired, only dropped once - 100 quid" /cliché

Seriously though, they waited till they could hear the allies approaching, then started shooting the Jerries, sort of like coming onto the footie field at the last moment during a 5-0 trashing & then claiming that you played a pivotal role in winning the match...

But let them have their pride - sorry, conceit - they've got bugger all else going for them!

10. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

a) Not during Nelson's time!

b) The few who were with SOE (most of SOE were British) were very brave, but they were hugely outnumbered by the majority who collaborated with the Nazis, many of them actively; the Vichy regime sent many French people to the camps.

c) The Frogs have hardly distinguished themselves since - the EU and Sangatte being just two examples of their duplicity and self-serving ways. khomeini was a welcome guest whilst planning the Iranian revolution, and more recently, despite an EU ban they welcomed Mugabe - Chirac even shook his hand.

There will always be a few exceptions, but overall the Frogs are a ghastly bunch.

11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

But Poppy, there were apparently some who supported the Allies & fought alongside the SOE......

:wink:

12. Whilst we're looking at anniversaries, today is the 190th anniversary of the British liberating (i.e capturing) Washington DC.

13. werent they keen to flog the argies more exocets during the falklands war ? I know they used the sucess of their weapon system at the following farnbourgh arms fair (sorry air display)

14. Would'nt the world be a better place if we had kept it? :D

15. I think you'll find that the Froggie MOD gave every help possible to the RN re exocets, they just asked that for commercial reasons we kept very quiet about it.

If you ever visit the Waterloo museum you will have to remind yourself that the French came second, but then the Belgians have always known which side their bread is buttered.

Why should the French have supported GW2, after all they were quite content making huge profits selling arms to Mad Sad and helping him break the UN sanctions. We should respect their bare faced and somewhat excellent cheek, they make a complete arrse of the UN and its' resolutions and then foil any UN resolution that will stop their illegal activities. Even better they've got every Trot, Tree Hugger and lovee proclaiming that this is an illegal (no UN res) war. You've got to admire them for that.

The French political class are probably the biggest crooks in Europe, but unlike our sad b+stards at least they're patriotic.