The French Language..

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by tuffy52, Feb 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today the French Government gave in to the feminist's and have outlawed the term 'Mademoiselle'.....
    In the light of this bold action what effect will it have on popular culture...

Oh, Madame from Armentieres, parlez-vous?
    She got the Palm and the Croix de Guerre, for washing soldiers' underwear.
    Hinkey-dinkey, parlez-vous?

You didn't have to know her long to know the reason men go wrong!

She's the hardest working girl in town, but she makes her living upside down!

Oh,Madame from Armentieres, parlez-vous?
    As the cooties rambled through her hair; she whispered sweetly "C'est la guerre."

She'll do it for wine, she'll do it for rum, and sometimes for chocolate or chewing gum!

The above ditty just does not have the same ring about it somehow........

• Like Like x 2
  2. I go by the visibility of the moustache.

3. Hairy armpits? Ici une Madame

Non Hairy Armpits? Ici une Mademoiselle.

Hairy armpits and bush sneaking a peek? Ici une Frau.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Same difference as between Frau and Fräulein - the Germans have solved it neatly by making it the polite thing to address all women as Frau.

Only the French would need to legislate on something like this.

5. Funny, the Chermanns have had this for absolute ages.

Oops, didn't see the post immediately before this one. Sry

6. It's the same with Welsh, if they are older than you or you are being formal you address them differently. Outlawing seems a bit extreme tbh.

7. I much prefer the um! dirty version.

8. I thought it was just in one small town they'd done that.

Is it in force for the whole country now?

9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I look forward to the Nanny State trying to prevent people in my neck of the woods calling women of any age 'Pet'.

10. I would have just thought they'd call them Hinny, rather than Pet.

11. I once received a frightening verbal ear-basing from a woman (not a "lady"), for using the word "Dear". As my hearing is far from acute I misheard her and used the word again in my request for a repetition of her comment. A crocodile going for the kill would have been less aggressive!

Although I had known her for some years the fact that she had become the "bit on the side" of a wealthy property developer seemed to have given her delusions of grandeur.

Strange things women.

(She did have a later change in fortune however - downward!).

12. What, about thirty seconds later when you blacked her eyes & made off with her handbag?

13. No I didn't actually. I was very polite, very professional, and refrained from equal rudeness.

However the expensive jewellery and meals in secluded restaurants stopped soon after as a recession hit her sugar-daddy's business. His wife had a say in this too but I had nothing to do with that. I just enjoyed from afar. I haven't seen either in years.

If I were to meet her now I would advise her that nowadays I move in a slightly better society!

And she didn't carry a handbag - she had a "clutch" bag - handbags were (probably in her opinion) for the proletariat!

14. I would have said "reticule" a la Lady Bracknell if anyone here might have had recognised the reference...

• Like Like x 1