The French and Champagne

Bodenplatte

War Hero
English vineyards have striven to produce high quality wines, including fizz, for many years now. It has seemed important to match French products, and we have been seeing stories about English stuff beating French stuff in blind tastings quite frequently.

All well and good, but acquiring this level of quality has meant that decent English "champagne" has marketed for about £30.

The real market lies at around the ten quid or less mark, that's where the mass market is, those folk who like to share a bottle of wine with the missus every day, and that's where the big profits are. The customer base don't care if it's Spanish Cava, Italian Prosecco, they just like a fizzy white, and this is the slot in the market that English vineyards should try and capture, whilst still producing a reasonable quantity of better stuff for those who wish to pay.

English vineyards have striven to produce high quality wines, including fizz, for many years now. It has seemed important to match French products, and we have been seeing stories about English stuff beating French stuff in blind tastings quite frequently.

All well and good, but acquiring this level of quality has meant that decent English "champagne" has marketed for about £30.

The real market lies at around the ten quid or less mark, that's where the mass market is, those folk who like to share a bottle of wine with the missus every day, and that's where the big profits are. The customer base don't care if it's Spanish Cava, Italian Prosecco, they just like a fizzy white, and this is the slot in the market that English vineyards should try and capture, whilst still producing a reasonable quantity of better stuff for those who wish to pay.
At the ten quid or less mark there’s (probably) less than a pound a bottle margin for the producer. At the thirty quid mark, there’s a tenner or more. So, if you chase the mass market, you chase volume. Which means investment in the primary produce, marketing, manufacturing, distribution etc etc to deliver a mass market product. All of which are things that people who make premium products are probably unlikely to have the skill set to do.

English Champagne makers sell every bottle they can make. Why would they bother with the £10 chav market where others dump their product?

In addition to Babycham (which was a perry), I can also remember another funtime drink called Moussec, which latterly, I think, came into the hands of Whitbread. As I remember, it was a sparkling wine processed from 'British' wine (ie wine sourced from all over the world and imported in bulk).

Haven't seen it for years. I wonder why?

It’s not what you know it’s who you know.

Stopping off for lunch last week at a friend of my Dad’s in St Paul De Vence near Nice we had an unlabelled bottle of champagne as aperitif .

Very, very nice. A Demi-sec, not a Brut. Light and fruity.

Turns out he has a shed load of this. It’s from a mate of a mate and is over quota production from one of the great houses sold off on the quiet without makers name on show.

Way more than he needs so I can have whatever at the same as he paid.

€10 a bottle? I’ll have 4 cases right now which is all I can fit in the car sadly.

“Salut!”

At the ten quid or less mark there’s (probably) less than a pound a bottle margin for the producer. At the thirty quid mark, there’s a tenner or more. So, if you chase the mass market, you chase volume. Which means investment in the primary produce, marketing, manufacturing, distribution etc etc to deliver a mass market product. All of which are things that people who make premium products are probably unlikely to have the skill set to do.

English Champagne makers sell every bottle they can make. Why would they bother with the £10 chav market where others dump their product?
English sparkling wine you mean ?

If the EU continues to negotiate in bad faith, we’ll be able to call it what we like.
The same way that in the US the cheap stuff is routinely called Champagne but the more expensive fizz is marketed as sparkling wine.

Seeing as though this thread is about the French and champagne, and some here aren’t too keen on the French and champagne, just to irritate them, here’s a song by some Frenchies about champagne, enjoy......

I thought about linking in Maurice Chevalier as well, but thought better of it.

Because we don't all live in Glasgow?

Anyway, you can give Bucky a nice light fizz by mixing in some of Aldi's finest Asti Spumante...
Bucky. Specially grown for those keen on regurgitation - and violence.

Jammy66

War Hero
I do like champagne. I sometimes buy a bottle to drink when there's nothing to celebrate! Apparently sales are down (shock horror) due to Covid and all the cancelled weddings/parties/corporate events. A few years ago wasn't there reports of a champagne shortage and prices went up as a result? Why don't the frogs just drop the price and sell more?

I had a very nice weekend in Epernay a few years ago, visiting some of the champagne houses - the best ones are the names you've never heard of before. Very nice spending a couple of days 'tasting' loads of different champagnes......it's pretty good value there too.

The Lidl and Aldi £10 Champagne ain't at all bad. It's still made the same way. It's got a sharper more fruity taste than I like, I prefer the more 'toasty' types like Bollinger. But, for £10......

Some of the English sparklers are indeed just as good or better depending on your taste, but the nice ones are probably going to cost you more than a non vintage Dom Perignon or Bollinger and if you're buying it to serve at a party or bring to a friends let's be honest, they'll just think it's a £5 bottle of crap.

The Aussie sparklers are very nice, I prefer them to Cava or Prossecco but each to their own of course.

Late 99 I bought a bottle of vintage champagne for DM 99 from the Natex in order to celebrate the end of the millenium. Rather disappointed, it was nothing special, I would have been better off with a bottle of Rotkäppchen. (East German sparkling wine, one of the few decent things to come out of East Germany without getting shot).

Can't beat a drop of Lambrini on a shag Saturday night, or if she's a bit posh go upmarket with a bottle of Lambrusco.

Just sayin for a mate...

Latest Threads