Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The French and Champagne

Sexton Blake

War Hero
You are having a laugh?
If he is I am not. Ice cold sparkling Red and ice cold 'normal' red is the drink of champions.

Was weaned on it as a young pup back in Italy. The locals all drink it and when in Rome.....

We can get supermarket Cava for less than 2 euros a bottle - works for me and all the other Brits we know. Ideal with fresh OJ as a Buck's Fizz sundowner (Mimosa to our chums from across the Pond) or just to drink.

I have been known to push the boat out and get a 4 or 5 euro bottle sometimes......... :cool:

English sparkling wines are regularly beating French champagne and have been for a few years now.
If the French want to restrict the amount of champagne on sale,that's fine by me. I'll buy home grown.
By the way have I mentioned Somerset brie?
21 July 2020
“ Taittinger Champagne proposal for winery and visitor centre in Chilham, outside Canterbury, approved by Ashford council”

TBH, go into any pub/bar in the UK and you'll see more Prosecco drinkers than you will Champagne drinkers. Probably because it tastes better, but more than likely because it's half the price if not more. I ordered 6 bottles of Champagne for when we had our wedding 3 years ago, toasting for the use of, the OH secretly pops into the pub and changes it to 12 bottles of Prosecco and some spare change. Made no difference to me, I can't stand the taste of either, I was on Stella and Malt Whiskies.
" I was on Stella and Malt Whiskies. "
Wife beater on your wedding day!
Stay classy, Joker.
:cool:

You are having a laugh?
No. Try it - It's awesome. Admittedly, I was at the Vineyard in Napa, and it was free ("cute British accent" strikes again) which added to the experience somewhat.

endure

GCM
Like you, I think there's much better fizzy wine than Champagne. Try sparkling red if you haven't - it's awesome.

Isn't that called Irn Bru?

endure

GCM
I think it was Christopher Hitchens who said the three most over-rated things in life were Champagne, lobster and **** sex.

I don't like lobster either...

The French don't drink Champagne - that's for you stupid foreigners who are willing to pay high prices for its snob value. The French drink Cremant (de Loire, de Bourgogne etc.), much nicer and about one third of the price.
Aldi here in Germany generally have a very drinkable Cremant de Loire in stock for about 6 Euros, and Mums Sekt isn't half bad either which can be had on sale for about 4 Euros.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
" I was on Stella and Malt Whiskies. "
Wife beater on your wedding day!
Stay classy, Joker.
:cool:
It's the only lager I can drink, the rest are not diabetic friendly.

The French don't drink Champagne - that's for you stupid foreigners who are willing to pay high prices for its snob value. The French drink Cremant (de Loire, de Bourgogne etc.), much nicer and about one third of the price.
Aldi here in Germany generally have a very drinkable Cremant de Loire in stock for about 6 Euros, and Mums Sekt isn't half bad either which can be had on sale for about 4 Euros.
Firstly, this is far nicer than champagne and often on offer for £8 a bottle if you get the right supermarket at the right time...

Secondly - and more importantly - the French didn't invent champagne. We did...
That was on sale at the Edeka last week for €3.98.
Apropos of nothing I was given a bottle of Veuve Clicquot as a bonus for renewing a magazine subscription a few months ago.

That was on sale at the Edeka last week for €3.98.
Apropos of nothing I was given a bottle of Veuve Clicquot as a bonus for renewing a magazine subscription a few months ago.
Crikey, Razzle has gone up in the world then...

We can get supermarket Cava for less than 2 euros a bottle - works for me and all the other Brits we know. Ideal with fresh OJ as a Buck's Fizz sundowner (Mimosa to our chums from across the Pond) or just to drink.

I have been known to push the boat out and get a 4 or 5 euro bottle sometimes......... :cool:

The fact there is no duty on wine (or spirits or beer) in Spain helps. 58% of the cost of sparkling wine in UK is tax.

ROMFT

Old-Salt
Actually I'd go for the French fizzy cider over champagne every time, tastes great & it's pretty cheap.

Latest Threads