The French and Champagne

I read this bit earlier:

Why France's champagne bubble has burst

It seems to me that whilst these French cnuts can sell their grapes at about 10 times the price of everyone else, because they are in a certain region, they still cannot get their shit together.

I am not a big fan of genuine Champagne vs many other more tasty sparkling drinks based on fermented grapes. More so I despise the French enough to not buy it.

But here they are, locking themselves into some kind of third line forcing arrangement to control the price and seemingly fcuking it up.

Is anyone able to explain deeper than this wet patch of BBC reporting, are they really willing to let grapes rot in order to limit supply and maintain high prices?

How about they halve the price and produce twice as much?

Dirty peasant scum dog raping gitain smoking apologist cnuts.

I'd take a decent Whisky over Champagne any day the pretentious twats

I read this bit earlier:

It seems to me that whilst these French cnuts can sell their grapes at about 10 times the price of everyone else, because they are in a certain region, they still cannot get their shit together.

I am not a big fan of genuine Champagne vs many other more tasty sparkling drinks based on fermented grapes. More so I despise the French enough to not buy it.

But here they are, locking themselves into some kind of third line forcing arrangement to control the price and seemingly fcuking it up.

Is anyone able to explain deeper than this wet patch of BBC reporting, are they really willing to let grapes rot in order to limit supply and maintain high prices?

Like you, I think there's much better fizzy wine than Champagne. Try sparkling red if you haven't - it's awesome.

I read this bit earlier:

Sour Coca Cola. They can shove it.

spins

Old-Salt
I'd take a decent Whisky over Champagne any day the pretentious twats
I'd take any whisky, with or without an 'e' over their overpriced fizzy grape juice.
spins

Like you, I think there's much better fizzy wine than Champagne. Try sparkling red if you haven't - it's awesome.
In or out of the brown paper bag?

The French don't drink Champagne - that's for you stupid foreigners who are willing to pay high prices for its snob value. The French drink Cremant (de Loire, de Bourgogne etc.), much nicer and about one third of the price.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
TBH, go into any pub/bar in the UK and you'll see more Prosecco drinkers than you will Champagne drinkers. Probably because it tastes better, but more than likely because it's half the price if not more. I ordered 6 bottles of Champagne for when we had our wedding 3 years ago, toasting for the use of, the OH secretly pops into the pub and changes it to 12 bottles of Prosecco and some spare change. Made no difference to me, I can't stand the taste of either, I was on Stella and Malt Whiskies.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
1597238298041.png

TBH, go into any pub/bar in the UK and you'll see more Prosecco drinkers than you will Champagne drinkers. Probably because it tastes better, but more than likely because it's half the price if not more. I ordered 6 bottles of Champagne for when we had our wedding 3 years ago, toasting for the use of, the OH secretly pops into the pub and changes it to 12 bottles of Prosecco and some spare change. Made no difference to me, I can't stand the taste of either, I was on Stella and Malt Whiskies.
but did the OH share the difference with you?

It certainly is awesome. Some of the Australian sparkling reds are outstanding but we won't tell them in case they raise the price.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
but did the OH share the difference with you?
It came out of the wedding fund, so went towards the honeymoon spending cash.

I read somewhere you shouldn’t be paying more than £15 for a bottle of Prosecco. Obviously in a London bar the accepted price will be 4 times that.

I occasionally enjoy a glass of Pol Roger Demi Sec, but that’s a treat at £50 a bottle.

English sparkling wines are regularly beating French champagne and have been for a few years now.
If the French want to restrict the amount of champagne on sale,that's fine by me. I'll buy home grown.
By the way have I mentioned Somerset brie?

The French don't drink Champagne - that's for you stupid foreigners who are willing to pay high prices for its snob value. The French drink Cremant (de Loire, de Bourgogne etc.), much nicer and about one third of the price.
The was a book out recently documenting the world of 'models and bottles'

A sociologist and former fashion model takes readers inside the elite global party circuit of "models and bottles" to reveal how beautiful young women are used to boost the status of men Million-dollar birthday parties, megayachts on the French Riviera, and $40,000 bottles of champagne. In today's New Gilded Age, the world's moneyed classes have taken conspicuous consumption to new extremes. In Very Important People, sociologist, author, and former fashion model Ashley Mears takes readers inside the exclusive global nightclub and party circuit-from New York City and the Hamptons to Miami and Saint-Tropez-to reveal the intricate economy of beauty, status, and money that lies behind these spectacular displays of wealth and leisure. Mears spent eighteen months in this world of "models and bottles" to write this captivating, sometimes funny, sometimes heartbreaking narrative. She describes how clubs and restaurants pay promoters to recruit beautiful young women to their venues in order to attract men and get them to spend huge sums in the ritual of bottle service. These "girls" enhance the status of the men and enrich club owners, exchanging their bodily capital for as little as free drinks and a chance to party with men who are rich or aspire to be. Though they are priceless assets in the party circuit, these women are regarded as worthless as long-term relationship prospects... .
I've not read the book but have read a number of reviews and extracts, and one of the conclusions was that men order the most expensive champagne (and cars, yacht, bling etc) not to attract the women but to show off to all the other men.

NSP

LE
Firstly, this is far nicer than champagne and often on offer for £8 a bottle if you get the right supermarket at the right time (usually goes for £11/£12)...

Secondly - and more importantly - the French didn't invent champagne. We did...

Last edited:

chimera

LE
You are having a laugh?

Latest Threads