The freedom of information act as a WOMAD

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by TheIronDuke, Mar 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I should maybe post this in 'Law' forum, but I went in there and the cobwebs made me sneeze.

Besides, others may find this uselful.

Besides, NAAFI has a view on most things. Even if it is only "Give yourself a slap, and snap to".

I've got a hassle, and would welcome an assist.

Ten years ago I flogged a car and sodded off to other climes.

Two years ago I started getting parking fines (Council) traffic violations (police) and DVLA violations (I assume road fund).

They will have me in court. And I dont have the docs from a car I have entirely forgot about.

They wish for me to appear in court three times, for offences I didnt commit, on account of I was 5,000 miles away at the time.

I think I should apply to the court(s) under the Freedom Of Information Act.

Anybody done this? I've done a Google, and got a bunch of and addys.

And I would rather get advice from NAAFI than from Babylon, you know?
  2. Firebomb the court?
  3. Some time a go (couple of years) I had parking tickets start to appear for a vehicle that was stolen from me nearly ten years before. I called then wrote to the issuing authority telling them the new owner ( the insurance company that paid out for the loss) and nothing more was heard.
    Have a look at the tickets and give the issuers a buzz ( you probably ought to have done that a while ago) you never know :)
  4. On the bright side, they've obviously looked after your car.

5. What have a bunch of music festival organising type people to do with the FIA?
  6. Or nicked the plates.

7. Yes, good call. Forgot about that one.
  8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Done that. They say they cannot supply the original tickets and docs 'due to a change of computer systems and attendent problems'.

So all I have got is a bunch of numbers and letters from Bailiffs. Hence the freedom of information act request. I'd like to see all the docs they have managed to lay hands on before I bool up before the Beak. And remind him of happy days at Eaton playing the Milky Biscuit Game.
  9. Look on the bright side. If the Courts claim it's your car then you can have the owner arrested for theft, sell the car (doubtless vintage by now) to raise money to cover the fines and maybe buy a round or two down the local.

And you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you've a) shown up the inherent flaws and contradictions inherent in the system; and b) put an innocent man in jail. Job's a good 'un.
  10. I think the point is, the car can't be traced as the authorities have gone back to the last registered keeper. The poster must not have completed the new owner/sold on part of the V5. Or it's on ghost plates and is a ringer. Which would make arresting the current owner for theft quite hard...
    Or is it me being bone :?
  11. Oh well, back to the drawing board...
  12. your right, the onus rest's with the seller of the vehicle to complete the new keeper part of the v5 and post it off pronto to DVLA. Takes a while to filter through though!
  13. More to the point, if Royal Mail or (more likely) DVLA lose the slip then you've got no evidence anyway. If the prosecution can't find a copy of the original notices I think the court will throw it out.
  14. I think your pretty spot on here, there looks like a distinct lack of evidence and ofcourse it will come down to proving that he hadnt infact sold the car, easily disproven by the fact he left the country immediatly after selling the vehicle. Surely also the issuing authority will have to supply when and where the offences took place in the first place?
  15. Plus if you can prove you were not in the country at the time of the incidents there will be no case I'd also ask to see pics of the speeding offence should be easy to see it wasn't you driving if it was taken by a mobile unit