The Forces Pension Society - Protecting Your Interests

Good afternoon, please accept my apologies (first time posting anything on ARRSE.... though enjoyed reading forums for years!)

Could you clarify the position of an AFPS 75 pension with an FTRS post, I think I have the basics:

1. You cannot earn more than your final salary with both IP pension and basic salary of FTRS post?
2. As pensions don't pay NI contributions, can you elect to have a lower basic salary in order to reduce NI contributions.
3. If I've taken resettlement commutation is this recovered from the part of the pension, I would not be receiving (ie. from the part of the pension that exceeds my final salary)?

Thank you for any advice.

PS I think I started this in a new thread by mistake...!
I have sent you a PM.

Hi there I've just joined FPS via D/D, but ain't received an email or anything yet. Is this due to the D/D having to go through before getting a membership no.etc?

cheers

Would join it but on a tiny private pension of £50 a Month and nothing else it ain't possible, rotten sods won't even give me any out of work benefits just the usual first 6 months then told me my wife has to claim pension credit, so as usual and has been all my life 'Catch 22' Applied for my AFPS75 Pension three months ago, I'm 60 in a week but have heard nothing from them except an acknowledgement slip. I take it I'll have to ring them after my birthday to chase them up then?

I have had a trawl but cannot find the answer.

My brother served 9 years in the 1980's Is 58 at the moment...Q.. will he have any pension to come from that service?
If so how do to get a forecast.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have had a trawl but cannot find the answer.

My brother served 9 years in the 1980's Is 58 at the moment...Q.. will he have any pension to come from that service?
If so how do to get a forecast.

Thanks in advance.
Escotia has given you the link to SPVA to pass on to your brother.

Reference to my trusty chart of preserved pension rule changes tells me that if he left after 1/4/78 but before 6/4/88 he would have had to have 5yrs reckonable service - reckonable service is service from age 18 for an OR or from age 21 for an officer to qualify for a preserved pension. If he left after 6/4/88 he would have need only 2 yrs reckonable service. Either way, it would appear that he qualifies. The preserved pension would be payable at age 60, so he would need to get in touch with SPVA 6 months or so before his 60th birthday.

Many thanks fella's, he had been led down the track of "you are entitled to nothing" by various people, I was sure that they had given him the wrong information.

I left in 94 after 22 years (24 if you include junior bleeders) and I can say that the pension has been a godsend. Personally I would not recommend taking a commutation, instead preserve your pension as high as possible, after years in civvy employ I am mightily glad that I did not commute any of my pension.
I only encountered one downside, shortly after I left I was technically unemployed for around 3 months while I did some re-training. I had to register as unemployed which were the rules and was promptly advised that because of my army pension I would not be entitled to any unemployment benefit, now called jobseekers allowance I think. After taking a breath that same person then advised me that if I did not provide proof of my jobseeking, that they would stop the benefits that they were not going to give me in the first place, that person would not look me in the eye. My late brother also served and unfortunately became disabled, he too was penalised because of his army pension and shockingly was told to his face that his jack Russell terrier and his tv were luxuries that he could give up to save money!

^ Exactly the same for me re JSA. I signed on but the only benefit was of having NI contributions paid and for that was made to jump through more hoops than was worth the hassle. Despite the sole income of my pension being lower than my outgoings (mortgage, gas, water , lectrickery etc) I was entitled to stuff all. Was mightily miffed when looking at who could claim what to find that Johnny Foreigner was able to claim the same as JSA if they didn't speak English. Next short period of unemployment and I didn't bother registering.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
It's nice to be penalised by a system you've been supporting during your working life!

I left with my pension and haven't bothered to contact the dole office for the reasons above.

E

EScotia

^ Exactly the same for me re JSA. I signed on but the only benefit was of having NI contributions paid and for that was made to jump through more hoops than was worth the hassle. Despite the sole income of my pension being lower than my outgoings (mortgage, gas, water , lectrickery etc) I was entitled to stuff all. Was mightily miffed when looking at who could claim what to find that Johnny Foreigner was able to claim the same as JSA if they didn't speak English. Next short period of unemployment and I didn't bother registering.
Been in that position. It's not just JF that got my goat though, it was more the habitual doley that knew how & what to claim. I suppose it's more to do with long term servers not keeping abreast of changes to Welfare, maybe the MoD should take that on board and make sure periodic inclusions in unit routine orders happen?

Good afternoon,
I feel a bit cheeky asking a question, but perhaps I may illustrate a scenario - Chap is divorced during his service (which went for a little over 22 years) - it was an amiable divorce, and the legal settlement was he gave the house to his soon to be ex-wife and in return she relinquished any rights to pension or leaving gratuity - chap finds another partner for the last couple of years of his service, leaves the service and marries the partner, very happily for some 35 years now.

If the chap predeceases his second wife, will she be entitled to any of his pension - or will the fact that the second marriage took place after he left the service render her unentitled

This has troubled me for some time and I hope to find some clarity without approaching the pension administrators (at least until one is dead) An unhappy thought!

Kincaid

I actually feel so cheeky - and guilty as I know these great sites rely on donations or subscribers - so will join the Pension Society forthwith.

Kincaid

Once you divorce, the ex is only entitled to what the court says he or she is. If a Pension Sharing Order was made you would certainly know about it. Further, if any other order had been made (ie. a share of your lump sum) that would have happened when you took your pension.

Thus, if you pop off, your new wife (but not unmarried partner under AFPS 75 rules) would be entitled to 50% of any AFPS 75 pension you earned after April 1978. Children of a marriage which took place after you left the Service would not be eligible for pensions.

I hop this helps.

Good morning, Thank you for your prompt reply - I tried to join the Pension Society last night but the expiry date section for my card kept reverting to its default date when I tried to proceed further, however I shall contact your membership secretary today and join that way - I have to confess I did not quite understand the number pf options your registration page presented in respect of the pension schemes - I clicked AFPS75 because it seemed the oldest - I also checked my last pension notification from the agency running the service now but could find nothing that enlightened me - I feel easier about contacting them now so will enquire further.

I am glad my wife will be entitled to something, though sadly it will not be much as I left the service 83/84 which will give her 50 percent of five years pension value. (If I am administered under AFPS 75).

Thank you once again - I will be able to approach you for more information with a clearer conscience once I am a member of the Society . . .

Kincaid

I'm a FPS member and will be leaving next Oct at the age of 55 having served since the of age 17. I stayed on the 75 scheme and am fairly content with what I think I will get. I have just had a full knee replacement which is due to injuries sustained throughout my 37 years service. I have not claimed under the compensation scheme as the original injury happened many years ago. I have been told my my old Doc that a war pension is better than a comp scheme payout.
Is this true? I am still serving.