The Forces Pension Society - Protecting Your Interests

Do not contract your military pension out into a private one.

As of 6th April the government will not make any more donations to your pension. But instead pay it into your state pension (SERPS).

So basically steal money from your service years.To top up your state pension, and there is no comeback or appeal to the process

Right chaps quick question please my brother turns 55 this year (old git) he is at the moment getting about 550 a month he has phoned the chaps that do our pensions but was givem a tablet,does any one have any idea how much his pension will go up? Please.

I have another 7 years left my self untill the magic 55

Right chaps quick question please my brother turns 55 this year (old git) he is at the moment getting about 550 a month he has phoned the chaps that do our pensions but was givem a tablet,does any one have any idea how much his pension will go up? Please.

I have another 7 years left my self untill the magic 55
It very much depends what age he was when he left and when in the tax year it was. Basically, it will go up in line with RPI until April 09 and CPi thereafter. The first year will be pro-rata (ie. if he left in April, his first rise would be paid in full: if he left half way through the year, he would have got half the rise.) and thereafter the full rise would be applied. Historic CPI and RPI rates can be found on the HMT website.

This is something that we calculate for our members - see our website (Forces Pension Society - Fighting for the Forces and their Families ) for further information about FPS services.

Question for FPS (I've joined but not yet had my pack so apologies if question not appropriate). I've been summoned back to the docs as I am apparently H3. If I was to be MD'd before accruing 2 years in rank (AFPS 75) or the equivalen counting some acting rank time, would I still get the pension as if I'd served the 2 years? I am past my IPP and am just hanging on for the benefit of my last promotion.

E

EScotia

I'd be very surprised if they gave you a Med Discharge, more likely to receive an Admin discharge as you no longer meet the requirements of your rank & trade (PAP10 refers), plus it's cheaper for the MoD as you are past your IPP.

Hopefully you are less than 1 year away from accruing the necessary time in rank as it will probably take up to a year to discharge you.

Question for FPS (I've joined but not yet had my pack so apologies if question not appropriate). I've been summoned back to the docs as I am apparently H3. If I was to be MD'd before accruing 2 years in rank (AFPS 75) or the equivalen counting some acting rank time, would I still get the pension as if I'd served the 2 years? I am past my IPP and am just hanging on for the benefit of my last promotion.
See your PM.

For others who are AFPS 75 members and have not got the requisite 2yrs in rank, if you have more than 1 yr in the higher rank, you get a proportionate up lift. So, for example, if you have done one year in the higher rank, you take the higher pension code from the lower one and add half the difference to the lower one.

For AFPS 05 members, the pension is worked out on the best 365 consecutive days pay in the last 3 yrs with anything over 12 months ago being uprated in line with CPI.

Still waiting to find out if my 36 quid would have been better spent trying to get into a fat chicks dunghampers.......Anyone got the detail on what is happening in real terms. Rather than the massively confusing shit that was put out by DIN the other week. Yes I know my accrued rights are protected but an explanation is yet to be offered by anyone as to what it means in terms of cold hard cash. There is mass confusion in my head over WTF is gonna happen to my commutation! I also note that the FPS are touting the results of the consultation period as a success on their part, but given you are the only option it's hardly surprising they got a majority. For the record I would rather see and independant body that doesn't charge 36 pounds a year handle the arrangements for my pension.

Hi All,

Can anyone please explain how someone on a '75 IP and WP or a preserved pensioner with a WP that is below 55 years of age can apply for the increments that usually apply @ 55 because his WP conditions render him unable to work? Has anyone actually done it?

Thank you:)

E

EScotia

I applied for my preserved pension due to incapacity by writing to SPVA Glasgow (you could ring them) and they sent out the appropriate forms. Once the to & fro was over it took a few weeks but was sorted in my favour.

War Disablement Pensions

As for WP increments, I'd suggest you contact the SPVA Welfare Manager for your area and ask for a home visit. He/she can then advise you of the way to go, they may even do it over the phone. In my experience of SPVA, which despite my battles with them is generally good, the Welfare side are head & shoulders above other Depts.

Welfare Support Contact

Escotia is quite right (and having done it himself, he should know).

SPVA will require evidence from your doctor/hospital that you have a condition which prevents you undertaking full time work, and that the condition is permanent. Once satisfied they will increase your pension by all the pension increases which have occurred since you left and you will be entitled to pension increases every year thereafter.

i joined, was a member for a couple of years i called them up to ask about making contributions to my pension and the guy i spoke to said "ah yes you need to go to your pay office about that" and didnt/couldnt offer anymore advice, my thoughts ******* marvelous sixty quid well spent. i never would have thought of going into my pay office to make an enquiry about my pension....yes that guy was all over it!

i joined, was a member for a couple of years i called them up to ask about making contributions to my pension and the guy i spoke to said "ah yes you need to go to your pay office about that" and didnt/couldnt offer anymore advice, my thoughts ******* marvelous sixty quid well spent. i never would have thought of going into my pay office to make an enquiry about my pension....yes that guy was all over it!
I don't know who you spoke to or when, or whether anymore was said. I am,of course, sorry that you are disappointed with the advice.

For anyone else out there thinking about making contributions to their pensions, you can get the form from your Pay Office, SPVA or on line. For AFPS 75 members, your purchase of added years is limited to 'headroom' - that means, for instance, if you are a Cpl who joined up at age 19, you could buy the one year you missed from age 18. If you are in AFPS 05, you can buy added years but may not exceed a total of 40 yrs when actual service and added years are added together. Both schemes limit your added years premiums to 15% of pay.

E

EScotia

I applied for my preserved pension due to incapacity by writing to SPVA Glasgow (you could ring them) and they sent out the appropriate forms. Once the to & fro was over it took a few weeks but was sorted in my favour.

War Disablement Pensions

As I read this, you had a preserved pension which is paid early due to your incapacity to work. Does this apply to an ip which was commuted until 55?

I am not able to work or speak or move properly due to stroke and have 4 years to my 55 point and wonder if this reg would apply to me.

P.S. Good advice read on other posts, thanks.
LL,

You could print off the following form, send it to the address on the form and they will send you the Annex B & C to complete & send back.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...6/SPVA_Form8_Preserved_pension_claim_form.pdf

Also, if you are able to contact SPVA you can ask for their Welfare people to visit you at home. I'd suggest you contact them, give them a heads up on your difficulties, and see what they advise. If you ask them to bring the appropriate forms and stay with you to help complete them it will be a big help to you I'm sure.

Veterans Welfare Service

There are regional offices located throughout the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland. To find the telephone number of the one nearest to you, please contact the Veterans Free Helpline 0800 169 2277.

How to Contact the Welfare Service

You could also, depending on where you live, ask the Royal British Legion or Royal British Legion (Scotland) to visit and help you fill in the forms.

Thanks for that, may I just clarify, I am in receipt of an immediate service pension paid on discharge when I was 40. Now I know until I reach 55 I will receive a notional increase to my pension which is paid in full when I reach 55. But, and a big but you are saying because I am unable to undertake full time employment due to my mental and physical condition these accrued increases are paid from applying to SVPA? I don't get a war pension or any other pension or any state benefits just to be clear.

Appreciate your advice and help. Will ring the SVPA on Monday as well.

regards LL
You are mixing up a couple of different provisions.

If you left at age 40 with an immediate pension, you do not need to think about whether you can undertake full time work UNLESS you want to claim your pension increases early. If you are in this position, SPVA will need to be convinced that you will be unable to hold down a job due to ill health, and that the disability (mental or physical) will continue until preserved pension age. This decision has nothing to do with your skill sets or the availability of work.

If you are not in this position (which it sounds as if you are not) you will get an increase in your pension at age 55 which takes account of the inflation rises which took place since you left the Army. You use the expression 'notional' but I think you will find it worth having!

See your PM.

could someone answer this question for me??

when i reach 55 in 11 years time and get my rise in pension along with RPI, what pension amount will be raised?? will it be the lower one if i commute or will it be the higher one.

Reason is that i am still undecide whether to commute or not its a 6500 saving if i dont over the 11 years so would i get the rise on the 12000(non commute) or the 9500(commuted).

Hope that explains it.

Thanks in advance.

when i reach 55 in 11 years time and get my rise in pension along with RPI, what pension amount will be raised?? will it be the lower one if i commute or will it be the higher one.

Reason is that i am still undecide whether to commute or not its a 6500 saving if i dont over the 11 years so would i get the rise on the 12000(non commute) or the 9500(commuted).

Hope that explains it.

Thanks in advance.

My understanding is as follows:
The increase is calculated against CPI these days, the September CPI is used but the change is applied in the following April.

If you Commute your pension, you will receive the reduced (9500) pension until age 55, at which point you revert to the full (12000) pension, plus the Index linked adjustment against the full pension.

Shiny

Hope that explains it.

Thanks in advance.
When do you leave? I recommend that you put in to attend the Financial Aspects of Retirement briefing - it covers facts and implications of commutation, and the things you should think about when deciding whether to commute. You can find out where the nearest venue is by speaking to Resettlement/CTP staff. It is only one day and well worth doing.

Good afternoon, please accept my apologies (first time posting anything on ARRSE.... though enjoyed reading forums for years!)

Could you clarify the position of an AFPS 75 pension with an FTRS post, I think I have the basics:

1. You cannot earn more than your final salary with both IP pension and basic salary of FTRS post?
2. As pensions don't pay NI contributions, can you elect to have a lower basic salary in order to reduce NI contributions.
3. If I've taken resettlement commutation is this recovered from the part of the pension, I would not be receiving (ie. from the part of the pension that exceeds my final salary)?

Thank you for any advice.

PS I think I started this in a new thread by mistake...!