The Fookin Bomb Squad - Volunteers?

I've recently watched the BBC documentary "Bomb Squad". Let me start by saying that I'm not in the military but I'm a very proud father of a RE. The TV programme followed a team dealing with IED's and it wasn't clear what regiment/unit etc they were from and if they volunteered for that role. These guys are undoubtdly super brave, heroes to a man, but unfortunatey a young lad lost 3 limbs.

I know that 33eng are EOD but do other/all regiments do similar roles and crucially is it a job that lads volunteer for - or is it a case of any soldier/engineer can be given a vallon and told to sweep for IED's.

As a concerned dad of a sapper I'd appreciate any insight especially from serving engineers that doesn't jeopardy security.

regards

The RLC have an EOD capability. I don't know about the RLC, but RE EOD is a normal posting.

Iya Linda Darnell,

No journo just a worried parent. Sorry to hear your house burned down, you should know better than to smoke in bed at your age!

Fookn ell King Walt,

Respect to all soldiers but is somebody on this forum sellin Paranoid pills?
I'm sure a journo could get anything I asked from an official army source no problem!

Snakey,
You'd think so and I have asked him but he's 18yrs old!, He wouldn't agree but he's a man in body - a child in mind. All he knows is what he's doin tomorrow/next week and I have to drag that out of him. I understand coz I was young once.

If your a dad you'l know It's hard as a parent coz kids obviously take over your life!
I know I should butt out and let him get on with it but its not easy. A few numpty's on this site have inferred Im a journo but I dont think my original post was askin anything secret/contraversial. If I'm wrong I'd like to know why?

Thanks for the reply m8

Snakey,
You'd think so and I have asked him but he's 18yrs old!, He wouldn't agree but he's a man in body - a child in mind. All he knows is what he's doin tomorrow/next week and I have to drag that out of him. I understand coz I was young once.

If your a dad you'l know It's hard as a parent coz kids obviously take over your life!
I know I should butt out and let him get on with it but its not easy. A few numpty's on this site have inferred Im a journo but I dont think my original post was askin anything secret/contraversial. If I'm wrong I'd like to know why?

Thanks for the reply m8
I believe you.

(are a nob)

R

really?_fascinating

There is nothing in the question that breaches any kind of security.

Most of the EOD operators in Afghanistan are RLC with some Sappers and RAF. Most of the search teams are RE with some from the RLC. Hardly news, google Counter IED Task Force or eod and search task force.

As for your son, if he is going to do it he will receive the best training for his role and truly the best kit in the world. You need to ask him, or if he comes home with loads of new badges to sew on, you will know he has passed the course.

There is nothing in the question that breaches any kind of security.

Most of the EOD operators in Afghanistan are RLC with some Sappers and RAF. Most of the search teams are RE with some from the RLC. Hardly news, google Counter IED Task Force or eod and search task force.

As for your son, if he is going to do it he will receive the best training for his role and truly the best kit in the world. You need to ask him, or if he comes home with loads of new badges to sew on, you will know he has passed the course.
I believe the boundaries of responsiblity for generic EOD, as opposed to handling of IEDs, used to be based on where the object was located. If it was below the High Water Line, the Navy was responsible; if it was within an airfield perimeter or in a crashed aircraft, the RAF had it; if it required excavation to get to - such as an unexploded ariel bomb - then the Sappers drew the short straw. The RAOC, as it was then, had everything else. The IED side came into play after the World War Two when post-colonial insurgencies became the big issue. RAOC ATO's were deployed more widely than the other EOD participants, doing their "normal" jobs and so they tended to be "on-site" and available more frequently when a incident occurred. Therefore they rapidly developed the experience and knowledge, and so became the centre of excellence, in what was a new form of warfare. (I remember an old AT/ATO telling me how they went to IEDs during the Hong Kong riots in the '60's equipped with a stanley knife!) I would imagine that, with the increase in sophistication and the wide use of IEDs as a frontline weapon by today's insurgents, that the IED side of Explosive Ordnance Disposal has blurred those original boundaries somewhat. The volume of work would also help keep all the agencies "current". However, I would think that for "normal" EOD they must be still valid. (Goes to lie down in a darkened ammunition bunker.....stressing the fact that I was NOT a "Flaming ********")!