The Folly of Defence Spending

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Jan 27, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. The only flaw in his argument is the assumption that there will be no war in Europe over the next few decades.

What money on Europe v USA? I wouldn't rule it out and what side will Blair have us on? No fence sitting on this one and whichever it is we'll need the kit.
  3. That, and his claim that anti-submarine warfare is best carried out by aircraft rather than frigates or submarines.

Given his claims that air power can't replace the man on the ground, it seems strange that he's arguing that it can replace the ship on the water, or the submarine under it. Bit inconsistent, that.

And for all his cries that interceptors are obsolete, then what happens when the next adversary turns out to have a nice fleet of Su-27 ? Then, we'll be guilty of fighting TELIC all over again, rather than CORPORATE.
  4. Hmm?

Likely to face? Hmm, whatever happened to expect the unexpected? Prepare for the likely course of enemy action, but have plans for the worst course of action - just incase?

His logic seems "reduce you forces and reduce your possible casualties".

It doesn't make sense, even to a flid like me.
  5. I wholeheartedly support his view that much more resourse needs to be given to the Army but this should be met additional funding not by robbing the other two services.

We could start by shaving 5% off our bloated welfare budget - that would allow a 30% increase in the defence budget.
  6. yep if the European Grand design goes mamaries up the possibility of a European war increases dramatically.
    BTW does he propose how ASW and Airdefence will be carried out for a task group when 1. it is out of range of land based aircraft. 2.The airfields required are either U/S or weathered in. 3. on a friday lunchtime when he RAF knock of for the weekend :wink:
  7. With France and Germany getting their knickers in a twist over their 'illegal' budget deficits, Poland unhappy about the new population/weighting on voting rights and a substantial proportion of the EU population unhappy about King Giscard's proposed Draft Constitution, I think we should observe the probable threat from Europe more carefully.
    I'd suggest a good start would be couple of 'eight-leggers' with a few tons of HE parked close by the tunnel as a start; if some far-sighted soul hasn't done it already!
    'Cut the mooring lines, Number One!'
  8. msr

msr LE

I always liked Private Eye's moniker of Discard Gitanes....