The Flying Bicycle of Schleswig-Holstein

I wasn't there but I imagine a certain amount of disreputable behaviour would have been involved at some point.
Get away! Surely not.
I can only imagine that there had been a wager as to whether the Cyclist could organise a piss-up in a brewery and that the result was a pick-and-mix selection involving the following words, drink, argument, fights, vomit, stitches, unconscious, criminal damage, magistrate, deported and diplomatic incident.

Last edited:
Even worse, and I'm saying F all, other than along with 15 or so other individuals I visited a distillery in scotland.
Not the Bells one in Bathgate. Did that in 84 with the Depot SID staff, distillery visit and tastings followed by a very long lunch at Ratho and one hell of a hangover - not sure how any of the cars got back to Penicuik it was a miracle!

Only once, I would imagine, and the idea is now in a very large file marked "Bad Ideas Not To Be Repeated".
An anonymous medical regiment (4. Ok it was 4 armoured med regt) had the great idea of visiting the keo brewery in the morning, and were surprised that there were few* people capable of work in the afternoon.

*Virtually none.

This was the day I was supposedly caught boning a bi-sexual (female) clerk over one of the tables in the cookhouse.
This was bollocks of course as I was at happy valley...

Making her valley very happy.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
An anonymous medical regiment (4. Ok it was 4 armoured med regt) had the great idea of visiting the keo brewery in the morning, and were surprised that there were few* people capable of work in the afternoon.

*Virtually none.

This was the day I was supposedly caught boning a bi-sexual (female) clerk over one of the tables in the cookhouse.
This was bollocks of course as I was at happy valley...

Making her valley very happy.
Important that you kept up the Morale of the staff
you should be mentioned in dispatches

Not the Bells one in Bathgate. Did that in 84 with the Depot SID staff, distillery visit and tastings followed by a very long lunch at Ratho and one hell of a hangover - not sure how any of the cars got back to Penicuik it was a miracle!
It was one of the bigger Speyside distilleries, we arrived after a pub lunch in a 4 tonner, I would guess the 2 young ladies who "attempted" to be our guides were psychologically damaged for a very long time, at least the MT driver was sober.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I also remember a time down the mosel valley when our bright spark of a Troop Officer decided we should offer our assistance to the local vineyard and help gather the harvest. Despite being told not to eat the grapes, everyone gave it a go. To say they were dry is something of an understatement! It was like eating a bath towel. Anyhoo, the evenings were spent in the pleasant company of itinerant female student types, seriously in need of butch squaddy attention. The Rupert had arranged accommodation for us in some sort of church hall with as much wine as we could drink for 25 pfennigs a glass (about 5p). We however found some other brutish stuff that I believe was used locally for vinegar production. Hey, it was only 5 pfennigs and we soon got shit-faced on it. The following morning hangovers were horrendous! Rupert decided we'll go on a 5km run! Amidst much schimmfing, whingeing and a chorus of "**** offs" we set off. What the locals must have thought when a loose formation of groaning geriatrics disguised as brave defenders of the West came staggering up the road, puking, honking and generally being a pain in the arse; God only knows. We all said never again, until the following night.

In 1973, I was on the rear party in Celle waiting for my 18th birthday so I could join the battalion in Belfast. A group of ten of us got chosen to go on a local brewery tour. I don’t recall the brewery name but it was close to Celle.

We rocked up on an old army bus and joined a similar number of German civvies and the tour guide. It was pretty boring frankly. Millions of empty beer bottles in the first bit whizzing around a contraption and some rather large copper vats and then millions of bottles full of beer whizzing around the contraption in the second bit.

Eventually, the guide announced that we would now go and have a taster!

We sat down in this wood panelled room and a waitress came around with glasses of beer handing them out to everybody. We thought it would be just this one and then we would be off. Then the waitress came around a second time And we thought, oh ok. A second beer. That’s nice.

Getting into the second beer, the German contingent started a sing song, in German of course! Rising to the challenge, we began to respond in English as loudly as we were able to with a few of the more rude rugby songs.

It went on all afternoon. We left there legless But extremely happy after what turned out to be an entirely unexpected but quite legendary booze up entirely free of charge.

There was a small hiccup when we returned to the camp. Four of us were supposed to be on guard that night. The guard commander walked onto the bus, looked at us, shook his head and went back to the guardroom.

Yay for German breweries!!

TSK the British soldier is the pinnacle of truth, decorum, honesty, Trust,, have I missed anything :p

The Army is not the Navy,, you want pissed navy is the place to go, having my son in the navy told me the difference

Latest Threads