The five worst army men of all time

Hear, hear...

The five worst army men of all time

My wife brought the boys back from the playground the other day, and told me that our 5-year-old son had played with another kid who brought some plastic green army men. Excited that the family moratorium on guns had apparently been lifted, I went down to the basement and opened up the small black briefcase that contains all of my most awesome toys.

My son already has access to my toy trucks and Slinkys and Rubik's Cubes and other more boring toys from my childhood. The black box is filled with less politically correct toys, including army men, a team of die-cast metal bank robbers, some plastic Indians Native Americans and a couple of cap guns. (My awesome toys also included some rolling papers and a pipe from my pre-college pot smoking days, although those will never be passed on. While I plan to teach both my sons how to drive a stick shift and shoot a free throw with proper mechanics, they'll have to figure out on their own how to roll a tight joint.)

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/parenting/detail?entry_id=62128#ixzz0mbStKNh6

WOW!!! :x

:sleepy:

Never mind that maudlin 'Up' crap-what have you got under the basement floor?

I volunteer myself for one of the these awards.

llech said:
Army men non pc? Pah! I raise you Action Man in full Nazi regalia.
:p
Spotter Points: You'll notice that the 'dead guys' in the article are, thankfully, carrying MG42s.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I once bought a set of Airfix WW" Italians. It contained two wounded and 48 surrendering.

I was going to nominate that officer from the Seaforth Highlanders who was locked up in the Tower of London at the begining of WW2.....then I realized......good grief!

Busterdog said:
I was going to nominate that officer from the Seaforth Highlanders who was locked up in the Tower of London at the begining of WW2.....then I realized......good grief!
Norman Baillie Stewart. Actually imprisoned from 1933-1937 and emigrated to Austria in 1937. He then moved to Germany where he was a broadcaster of propaganda until Lord Haw-Haw replaced him. He was back in nick after the war and then emigrated to Ireland, where he died in the sixties.

Thanks for reminding me about Baillie Stewart. googling around this grey and drizzly morning I found out this, which I didn't know...

Railton Freeman was born in Newbury on 6th October, 1903. His father was Commander Fletcher Freeman of the Royal Navy. Educated at St Helens College, Southsea he entered Sandhurst Military Academy in 1922.

Freeman was commissioned into the king's Own Royal Regiment as a second lieutenant in August 1924. Two years later he was posted to the RAF flying school near Chester. The following year he was transferred to the Royal Air Force as a flying officer.

In 1931 Freeman retired from military service and bought an estate in Gloucestershire where he became a farmer. He developed extreme right wing political views and in 1937 he joined the British Union of Fascists.

On the outbreak of the Second World War Freeman he was recalled by the RAF and became a flying instructor with No. 24 Squadron. On 22nd May, 1940, Freeman was ordered to fly with his squadron from Croydon to Merville. Soon after arriving in Merville his aircraft crash-landed and he was captured by German soldiers.

Freeman was taken to Stalag IIa in Neu-Brandenburg. His fascist views soon became known to the Nazis and he was transferred to Frankfurt. Later he was recruited by the German Radio Corporation and took part in the 'German Calling' programme. The main presenter of this propaganda was William Joyce (Lord Haw-Haw). Freeman shared an office with another British traitor, Norman Baillie-Stewart.

In October 1944 Freeman joined the Waffen-SS. His main role was to vet propaganda material being prepared for the British armed forces. Freeman was captured by allied troops on 9th May, 1945.

Freeman was found guilty of treason and was sent to prison for ten years. He told his lawyer: "This just shows how rotten this democratic country is. The Germans would have had the honesty to shoot me." 8)

Busterdog said:
Fascinating stuff Cuddles.
The inconsistency in the treatment of various "traitors" and "fellow-travellers" at the end of WW2 is quite interesting actually. I cannot help agreeing with Freeman's point and also that if he had been in the winner's enclosure in 1945, a lot of the UK leadership would have been visiting the moat at the Tower of London for a Capstan Full-Strength and a .303 injection...

Redvers Buller asked if they should for speed go across the desert to relieve Khartoum, looked at the logistical paperwork and said "No." very firmly. When asked why he felt like that by Wolseley, Redvers Buller replied "the man (i.e. Gordon) isn't worth the camels..."

GORDON

REDVERS BULLER VC