The First or Grenadier Regiment of Foot Guards

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by inkerman7492, Apr 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gentlemen, having served for several years as a proud Grenadier (many Stones ago!!), I didn't ever manage to find the answer to a couple of questions. I wonder if you learned chaps could help.

Why do Grenadiers "Shoulder HYPE" and everyone else "shoulder ARMS"?

Why dont Grenadiers say "Yes"?

Why dont Grenadiers abbreviate (THE Sarnt Major = R.S.M.)?

Why do Grenadiers state their name when being inspected?

I do know the reason for shortening Sergeant to Sarnt and why Drill Sgt, Pay Sgt etc are all "Blokes", but clearly still haven't got anything else to worry about, other than the burning questions above.

Looking forward to your educated answers,

Inky

2. Hype - because it makes the excutive order 'snappier' and everybody starts hype-shouldering at ferzackerly the same time. So our Scots Gds Platoon CSgt taught us at Sandhurst.

THE Sarn't Major - because Company Serjeant Major is a rank not introduced until some time after Rorkes Drift. Prior to that the company Colour Sjt covered all the functions we associate with CSM & CQMS. THE (Regimental) Serjeant Major was at the top of the tree way before company serjeants major. That is my deduction, at any rate.

As for all the other Qs? Answer is simple - "'Coz they're the original woodentops", and that is all there is to it. :D

3. At Pirbright we were told that as Grenadiers we don't say yes when given an order because we will never say no. You can say yes when being asked a question.

I was always told we don't abbreviate because it's chippy.

Back in the day when most people couldn't write people would have a wooden name plate type thing with their number and name on it, when they got picked up on an inspection the name plate thing would be taken and put in a bag (hence the term to get bagged) and you wold then have to go on memoranda to get your name back. I was told it was a throw back from this.

I don't know how much of this is true but it was what I was told when going through training.

4. Do they still feel the need to scream it as loud as they possibly can even though the inspecting officer is inches away? There must of be a lot of deaf officers in the Guards, it used to annoy the fcuk out of me on courses when I was stood next to some pumper who would give it .....

"GUUUUUUUAARDDDDSMAN Shoutey bollox, 1stBn Grenadier Guards SAAAAAR!"

I've a couple of questions about Guards aswell,
    whats wrong with saying left and right? Why say Oft and Dight instead?
    and who the feck is Albert Turner?

5. S_T of course we do, some people get upset if you just say your name, it has to be stated with confidence, which means shout as loud as you can apparently.

6. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Had to do it when I went through basic training, and I'm not/never have been/never will be Guards.

Pirbright was still Guards Depot at the time, and their rules went, especially on the drill square. The Jock Guard RSM with a MM from the Falklands had a pretty big hand in it, to be fair.

7. The answer to all of the above is because the Grenadiers are all highly gay.

8. There was only one Sergeant Major per Bn until about 1906 or so.
    Colour Sergeant was the highest ranking non commissioned officer in a company and combined the duties of the present day CSM and CQMS - responsibilities included pay and acquitance rolls (hence the term Pay Bloke).
    I believe the term Hype when referring to rifles (I believe the Welsh Guards - a much younger regiment adopted that term from the GGG) stems from the days of pikes - hype was a shortened version.
    At one time all infantrymen when being inspected had to recite their number rank and name.

I'm not a former member of the Brigade of Guards though was trained by them as a recruit in the early 1960s - so I might be wrong.

Tradition.

9. It's all about inflection, when a Guards Occifer gives an instruction to, say, a Corporal or Lance Corporal, the guy always replies with "SAH" if he understands, or Sah?? if he dont, or else su!, (somewhat sullenly) if he reckons its a ball of total shit. take time to think about it fellers.

10. Is it true you call stag 'piquet' and the MO 'the barber-surgeon'?

11. I was told (and read somewhere as well I think) that in the Grenadiers rifles and arms in drill are refered to as 'ikes' harking back to the days when the regiment had pikes. I remember doing my HDCC section commanders course and pi$$ing off my instructer (not a Grenadier) and confusing my section (not Grenadiers but all other foot Guards guys) by giving the command 'for inspection port ikes' to check weapons after coming off the training area. Half the section carried out the command the other half didn't and just stood there looking at me and the Instructor soon said 'your not with your gay Grenadier mates now - it's ARMS!'

I take it from your name Inky you were 2nd Battalion - didn't they teach you anything in that Battalion!

12. What a very stupid thing to say.

13. In my day 'Piquet' was a 24 hour Battalion duty for a Corporal, a Sergeant and a Junior Officer. The main role of the Piquet NCO/Officer was Battalion duties - The Corporal done the door on The Commanding Officier's Memoranda, closed the Guardsman's beer bar at night (not always an easy task) and wound up proceedings in the Corporals mess. He then changed into combats and joined the Barrack Guard and closed the NAAFI pie and drinks dispensing machine area. The Sergeant did even less in the day but did the the same for his mess only getting involved with the NAAFI if there was any drama. He was also responsible for sorting out any drama in the Battalion after hours. I presume the Junior Officer did even less but they always checked the Barrack Guard with the Piquet Sergeant at midnight before retiring to his mess. He was also responsible for sorting out any issues after hours.

'Stag' was to be on Barrack Guard a 24 hour Battalion duty, which was to Guard and control access to and from the Battalion's barracks.

'Piquet' involved multiple dress changes and a swagger stick at night - No.2 dress, No.1 Dress or Frock Order for the officer and Combats for the NCOs.

Stag involved combats and a rifle with 10 rounds.

MO 'the barber surgeon' never heard of that one???

14. It's called Regimental History. (Are you still allowed to teach it nowadays?)

I was Scots Guards

Anyone who isn't Guards Division is a pussy!

Ready for the incoming from the Paras, Marines etc but the rest of you can **** off

15. Which begs the question:
    Were you not taught all this ad nauseum as a crow?
    I was when at Pirbright.*
    Just odd to me because Regimental History was seen as such an important subject to instil pride etc...
    By the way ACAB "Nulli Secundus" from an ex Coldstreamer.*