The first band I ever saw

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Jun 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

As the 'first record I bought' thread has moved to discussing bands, I think this deserves a thread of its own.

The first band I ever saw was a military band Beating the Retreat from Aden, but I was so young I don't know which band it was.

The first 'pop' band I saw was Lindisfarne at the ABC Peterborough. They weren't very good, but were well past their prime, it being the late seventies or maybe even 1980.

I'm sure arrsers can do better. I bet ofah was at Jericho for Joshua's trumpet concerto!!!!
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ok, it was the Stranglers, I'm not sure when but the first gig after the Nice riots, Who wants the world!
    The tour was "The Gospel According to The Men In Black" sometime in 1980.
  3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Madam; 'tuis a good job I am an old-fashioned gentleman or I would be tempted to rebuke you! As for Lindisfarne being past their prime, what a foul calumny! A great group from a superb area.

Not the first band I saw, by a long shot, but at the Cambridge United ground, in 1982, on a hot and sunny day, the London Philharmonic playing 'Classical Rock'. With Raff Ravenscroft who played sax on 'Baker Street'. It was the time of the Task force to Falklands, and when 'Sailing' was played, the whole staium stood and sang! Biggest crowd they ever had there.
  4. The first band I saw was a military band (no idea which one - sorry :oops: ) at the Cardiff Tattoo (if thats what it was called) back in 1981/2-ish.

The first popular/rock band I ever saw was Pantera in Newport in 1992/3.
  5. First concert I went to was Focus followed by Steeleye Span the following night, not much difference !!!!
  6. First band I saw live was the Seekers - "The Carnival is Over". Brum sometime around '65.

What really kicked the adolescent hormones in to gear for the first time was Kathy Kirby singing "Secret Love". Feck me, I was on edge for months afterwards.
  7. Not counting all the pub bands, wedding bands, funeral bands, club bands I was made to put up with by my mother (she was into her bands) since before I had discovered my nostrils with my digits, the first band of any consequence that I remember seeing were the Pipes & Drums of the Scots Guards marching up and down the basketball court (or was it football pitch) at my school in Bangkok. I must have been 5, possibly even a bit younger. They came every year until I was 11 I think. Saw them again when I was 16 as well, this time in the dinky little forecourt of another school in Bangkok (less marching, more weaving). I've always been rather partial to a bit of martial pipes & drums ever since :salut:

The first 'other sort' of band were the Sex Pistols at Crystal Palace in 2002. Kept expecting them to do their backs in but they were the borrocks. :headbang:
  8. Close run thing; either the Sally Army band at the opening of Tescos in Birmingham City Centre in 1971, or the Spinners doing a free gig in a park (prob Lickey Hills) the same or following year.

First gig I paid to get into was to see local band 'Slug the Night watch man' in Doncaster in 1982.

First big gig/mainstream band, Magnum at Newcastle City Hall, 198?Early.
  9. Sunday night at the Greyhound Croydon from 1968 onwards saw most of the enormous prog rock bands of the day. Deep Purple, King Crimson, Edgar Broughton, Roy Harper, Quo, Hawkwind, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Curved Air, Joe Cocker and the Grease Band, Who, ELP Uriah Heep, Sabbath to name drop but a few. I saw Nice perform (and record) the Five Bridges at the Fairfield Hall Croydon and I saw Jimi at Isle of Wight. It doesn't matter when I die, I saw Jimi Live!
  10. The first gig i ever paid to see was the Buzzcocks at the Electric Circus in Collyhurst, Manchester. About 1978...Pete the Punk postman right on his game!

The first gig i was taken to was David Bowie at the Hard Rock in Stretford..Circa 1970. Too young to appreciate the greatness.

About 1975 i went to Granada studios to see Marc Bolan recording his show Marc..Does this count?

Markintime..You've been blessed!
  11. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Showaddywaddy in Southampton when I was 13.

I refuse to count Peters and Lee cus I was 6 and didn't have a choice.

On another note I turned down the chance to see kate Bush so I could go to a youth club disco. :oops:
  12. Black Dyke Mills Brass band at the Whit Friday contests in Saddleworth when I was about 7 years old.

First live performance by a rock group was the Queen free concert in Hyde Park 1976.
    First one I paid to see was the Sex pistols at the Albany Empire in Deptford 1977ish.
  13. The first gig I went to was at the The Isle of Wight Festival in 1970, the tickets were supposed to have been £3 I think but hey it's all still a blur. :oops: Followed by Pink Floyd at Knebworth House in '75 & Led Zeppelin '79.
  14. George Mc Crae 1975 in Bournemouth Village
  15. Level 42 Brighton

Smoked my first fag on the bus back as wel