the Fire service and TA ?

from what i know, police officers cannot serve in the TA.

what about the Fire service can anybody from the service be a member of the TA ?
hope someone can clear that up for me, thanks

We've got 2 coppers and 1 fireman in our Coy, lots more in the battalion.

Don't know where you've got that from dude :wink:

semper said:
from what i know, police officers cannot serve in the TA.

what about the Fire service can anybody from the service be a member of the TA ?
hope someone can clear that up for me, thanks
Rubbish, we had a copper in our unit he joined the TA before police. Soon left though after getting called up for Telic 1

We have a fireman in our unit at the moment. Well have you ever met a fireman without a second job. He gets loads of freetime so gets loads of days in. I'm sure he is due another 30% pay increase soon :lol:

Police can it just depends on the Chief Constable in question. I believe the fire service are the same.

In the case of being a copper, i think you can only have a specified number from any particular force in the TA at one time, e.g. only five coppers from (county) constabulary can be in the TA. If all the places have been taken, tough luck.

Or i might be talking out of my arrse. Any coppers help me out here?

Most fire brigades only allow a certain number to join, so it's one out, one in. Had a CSgt join the fire brigade and he had to leave the TA as they were up to their 'quota'.

Because they're reserved occupations, police officers and firemen have to get permission from their own hierarchy to join the TA.

Probationers from either are unlikely to get the permission.

We've had a few of each, but quite often the ones who want to get on in their profession call it quits, as they try to juggle the commitments involved.

Have no experience when it comes to their being called up - not sure how MOD reacts to the Chief Constable or Chief Fire Officer saying "no, they're not going".

We had coppers on Telic 2 and Telic 4 and both were mobilised with relative ease, no problems from their employers. They are both in different police forces and were the only ones to be called up as far as i'm aware.

thanks for clearing that up, i stand corrected re the police, cheers.

We have policemen in our unit , and at least one fireman I know is a secret air soldier.

barbs said:
Has anyone noticed the irony of a fireman joining the TA?

FRESCO anyone?
Be interesting to know what happens when they strike again and he's called up as TA to stand in... what will his trumpton friends say?

STAB or SCAB!!!! :lol:

Depending on the brigade and police force is if they are allowed to serve. Officially as they are a resereved occupation they are not, however...

In the Met, they are allowed 9% of the total force to be in the TA, and they are up to strength at the moment.

In the fire brigade, well London turn a bit of a blind eye, but you are not officially allowed to do it but there are ways and means.

And as for FRESCO, well the TA werent called up for it, and according to the act (not CRRF) then you cannot be called up for a fire strike (next one due in 3 years or so...cheers Tony you cnut!) but I know of 15 LFB guys who went to Iraq, and I was due to go. Till something happend! :evil:

There was no problem in the brigades letting them go, as they were classed as reservists and not volenteers(TA)

If you are in the TA and then join either you are made to leave, so you have to or lie. :roll: 'Of course I have left!!!'

dont the fire men have to join as, painters or some other job ,(the one they do on their days off), having said that I also know of at least 1 fireman who is in the p/t hereford hooligans and 1 what is a CSM
B_T

black_taxi said:
dont the fire men have to join as, painters or some other job ,(the one they do on their days off), having said that I also know of at least 1 fireman who is in the p/t hereford hooligans and 1 what is a CSM
B_T
In the North West area aren't they? He used to be SSM, now he's taken a commission iirc.

There's paramedics, police and firemen in sTAb units across the Country. As has been mentioned, it's down to individual forces/brigades/services.

Wonder if coalminer (do we have any left?) is still a reserved occupation? That's how both my grandads 'escaped' call up.

You are Where Sir said:
Does anyone know if a similar rule applys to Paramedics?
Extract from:

http://www.army.mod.uk/servingsoldier/career/mcmdivs/ta/soldiers/soldiers_tos.htm

Civil employees of government departments, members of any police force in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland or members of the fire and rescue services in full or part time employment by the Home Office or local authorities, are not to be enlisted unless the written consent of the head of department, chief constable, or chief fire officer or nominated deputy, as appropriate, has been obtained. Such permission is deemed to grant priority to the TA over the police or fire and rescue services in times of mobilisation or similar emergency.
Does not specifically list Ambulance Services, but since they are 'local authorities' posts, I would check with personnel department to see if you are covered.