The final solution to the Landy GB issue?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by TheIronDuke, Aug 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Landy gearboxes and transfer boxes piss oil. There it is.

So, unless you are the sort of **** weirdo who crawls about underneath, in all weathers with a tube of Hypoid oil in your grasp, you are going to be replacing your boxes every three or four years.

My associate Nigs The Grease Monkey claims to have a solution.

Mix a pint of Hypoid oil with a small Hovis loaf. In a blender.

Ram the sludge into G/B and transfer box - happy days. His theory is... the oil soaked bread sticks to the gears and doesnt piss all over the deck.

I love Nigs The Grease Monkey like a brother. But I dont trust him.

Is he winding me up or what?
  2. If you tie a veal cutlet under your transfer box, by the time you've driven home it will be ready to have the deep fried breadcrumbs released, via the drain plug, and added as a coating. Not quite a Wienerschnitzel, but tasty all the same.
  3. Come on, for gods sake, and all his little holy cherubs, what type of Hovis loaf are we menstruating about. I believe the wholemeal is fine, but stay away from the Granary and 'The best of both'
    Both are advocates of the 'bodgit and scarper' method preferred by the REME, but a discerning gentleman, such as yourself would, in my opinion be better off abandoning landrover and instead purchase a nice little Kia.
    It has apparentley 'The power to surprise'
    According to Kia Motors, the name "Kia" derives from the Sino-Korean words ki ("to come out") and a (which stands for Asia), it is roughly translated as "arise or come up out of Asia" or "rising out of Asia".
    Tomorrow I recieve delivery of my first Korean car, which also coincides with a visit to the Register Office to rename my Wife Asia, I seem to come up out of Asia on a regular occasion. I still haven't got any credit for any of her bastard offspring yet.
    Hope this helps.
  4. Sawdust.

(Worked on my RL)
  5. If you've had the wisdom to invest in a Overdrive, you'll find they fry potatoes loverly in about 5 miles, and a (pierced) tin of veg-of-your-choice wire-tied to the exhaust manifold completes your meal on wheels.

Sadly, you may still need a new gearbox, t-box and o/d, and possibly an exhaust system too, but look on the bright side: now you've eaten well you'll be strong enough to wield spanners to do the swap.
  6. So a bodge up job with some flexi pipe, a leccy pump and an oil cooler rad to get the temperature out of the oil from said G/B wouldnt work?

Ahh.... that'll be my taxi then :)
  7. Yup. Oil on the driveway. Wives get gritty and uncooperative, and their voices become louder, whingier, more and more vicious.

I'm considering a move to Tampa, myself. Even with the Union Flag on my Landy.
  8. I just got rid of the piece of crap and bought a Navara.
  9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

If it's not leaking oil it's got none in it

Have they took that out of the handbook then?
  10. its a landrover for F##k Sake what do you expect
  11. What? It's gay? Is it because they're designed to have a man inside them? Do they have diesel dyke versions?
  12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I do not know where you live, but I bet I can find out before 04.00 tomorow.

But 'ne mind the boxes.

Theres the best part of a ton of top soil under that. And its lashing down. Truly, God hates the Landy.