The Final Connection on a W pull?

Discussion in 'REME' started by VerminWA, Dec 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any recovery mechanics out there give the difinitive answer to this question? (Probably not :lol: :lol: )

After a recent recovery exercise I had a running discussion with some of the instructors as to where the final connection is on a "W pull" using two Fodens. Now they say they that the final connection is at the winch rope end adaptors(Block on end of rope used to connect to chosen tackle) but I think this is wrong. Reasons why...

When doing a 2:1 pull the final connection is at the casualty because if it started to fall, roll away etc then you will lose the winch rope end adaptor as it dragged through the snatch block(pully). Why is this logic not applied to the "W pull"? If the casualty shifts just before they are connected then you will lose the winch rope end adaptors from both trucks putting them both non taskworthy.

Also to connect the winch rope end adaptors's you have to kick all the ropes together are putting yourself in a bit of a nasty situation should they suddenly go taught, you are also crossing apexs abeit with just your arm and a tool reccy mech.

The only reason they could give for not having the final connection at the casualty was that there would be 2 final connections. And the problem with that is?? Simple answer they are unable to think laterally and could not see logic!!

Can anyone come to my defence or give me an equally good reason why it is done the way it is?

2. As an Artificer I obviously know everything, and therefore can categorically tell you that whilst there are other methods for the final connection of a W pull, the instructors' DS answer is the correct one as the whole process has now been LEAN Engineered, and increased through-put via BOSS and DEME(A)'s in-tray means that we only need one one Foden anyway. WAITER!
  3. As I said!! :wink:

4. The new and approved version of the Recovery Manual has just arived in my Tech Office, still in its cellophane wrapper. If my Rec Mech could read I'd get him to give you the answer.
  5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't be silly. I know that wonderful work very well, and am happy to say it is probably the Army Publication with the MOST pictures in. This is of course strictly because they are necessary, you understand.