The Fight for Basra Palace

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by brewmeister, Dec 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Panorama tomorrow night (Mon 10 Dec) 2030hrs.

Might be worth watching. Though Panorama usually makes me throw things at the telly.
  2. Using combat footage shot by the soldiers themselves, the untold story of the last and the bloodiest British fight in southern Iraq - the battle for Basra Palace.

Kinda like all the stuff on the tube I guess. Worth a watch I reckon.
  3. Bump. On in ten minutes
  4. I'll be watching this, should be interesting viewing.
  5. Yes, I shall be watching it. Did anyone see the interview with the Cpl, from 4 Rifles on Breakfast this morning? It had previews of it.
  6. Thanks
  7. msr

msr LE

Does anyone have this on DVD?

8. Superb doc,the BBC really have been pulling it out the bag recently.
  9. CplFoodspoiler

CplFoodspoiler War Hero Book Reviewer

Just watched the prog. Seems like all the questions she (the reporter) put and all the opinions espoused by her were negative. But she took cover with the best of 'em.
  10. Insert.

It was??

I understood that the general premise was that the British Army was kicked out of Basra, despite the CO of the Rifles saying it was bollox.

So, did the army give in or was the colonel right?
  11. Negative or objective?No point trying to polish a turd is there.
  12. looked like a tactical withdrawal to further peace to me.

It also puts us in an easier position to withdraw, although that will probably be to Afganastan
  13. Just watched the Panorama prog. I was mightily impressed, just before the end, they way in which Maj Gen Binns (Comd BF Iraq) stood his ground unflinchingly during the piece to camera, despite a fly crawling ALL OVER HIS FACE, and at one stage, even crawling onto his bottom lip.The diseases you can get from them 'Racky flies is too horrific to mention.

This is why our troops are the envy of the world.
  14. Surprisingly good. Evenly balanced and came across well. I especially liked the Col's comment - "Does this look like a defeated army? That's bollox."