Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The farming and smallholding thread

P1620114a.jpg

20210305_114618_compress0.jpg

Spring barley will hopefully all be in and rolled by Monday. Then another round of fertiliser for all the winter crops, catch up the yearlings and calves for some treatment, move the calves, move the bull, load lorries, go fencing when possible.

I've been thinking about the coursing situation. After the latest episode I was talking to a neighbour who made a very good point. As it stands, being done under the Hunting Act gives a pretty risible punishment, and the fines seem to be viewed as a form of taxation by the culprits as opposed to being a deterrent. On Friday I was talking to a police officer who said until the punishment becomes suitably severe, nothing will stop coursing, or lamping, or pikey safaris where they shoot at deer from the roadside.
Yes, ideally, if caught, they would get a massive beating and not come back. However, wading in solo against a car load of the twats isn't ever going to have a good outcome for me, even allowing for my mighty 5'7" stature.
Beatings aside, they need to be charged with something more serious than being crap at dog walking. Criminal Damage, Reckless Endangerment or something, and then get a custodial sentence. Last week, thanks to the pikeys, there was about £15,000 of investment running about loose in the dark, within sight and sound of one of the busiest A roads in the country. Added to that, we no longer feel able to graze cattle on that 200 acres because of the road safety issue, and now being told to report it to 101, where it gets NFA'd looks like the kick in the balls it actually is.
Look sideways at a badger sett and you go to the Big House, yet cause a load of grief, illegally kill wildlife, endanger the public, **** up a business and get a tap on the wrist.