Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The farming and smallholding thread

I don't think you can start a small holding of just a few acres if it's only for your own consumption and small scale sales, the rules and regulations and planning permission just make it near impossible ?

Londo

On ROPS
On ROPs
I don't think you can start a small holding of just a few acres if it's only for your own consumption and small scale sales, the rules and regulations and planning permission just make it near impossible ?
Bloke near me an ex copper ( I can just see the roof of his bungalow from my place ) started a smallholding just after I moved here so some 10 years ago , although although now given up due to poor health .
He has a blog that mentions some of the hoops he had to jump through to keep pigs and goats .
It's quite an interesting read .
If you are interested I can post up the link to the blog .

Londo

On ROPS
On ROPs
Is meat that is halal slaughtered labelled as such? Maybe it should be. Might see a change in people’s thinking then when profits are hit. I still eat meat, just a lot less of it and I’m pretty bloody picky about where and who I buy it from.

It’s an evil, barbaric practice that should be banned now.
I'm much the same regarding meat eating these days .

Not impossible , farm land can be used for farming , the hard bit is getting planning for a residence , you then need a holding number and you are on the way to being a micro farmer.

cymraeg

War Hero
Bloke near me an ex copper ( I can just see the roof of his bungalow from my place ) started a smallholding just after I moved here so some 10 years ago , although although now given up due to poor health .
He has a blog that mentions some of the hoops he had to jump through to keep pigs and goats .
It's quite an interesting read .
If you are interested I can post up the link to the blog .
Yes pse

cymraeg

War Hero
Not impossible , farm land can be used for farming , the hard bit is getting planning for a residence , you then need a holding number and you are on the way to being a micro farmer.
Getting a Holding Number is as easy as emailing the council, we still have a HN on our garden, where we have raised pigs various. You will still need to register with APHA, so you can obtain a herd number and record movements, sheep and cattle have their own, different, requirements re paperwork.
With planning, AIUI, the way forward is to establish a need to be on site and park a mobile home there, and then apply for planning.

Getting a Holding Number is as easy as emailing the council, we still have a HN on our garden, where we have raised pigs various. You will still need to register with APHA, so you can obtain a herd number and record movements, sheep and cattle have their own, different, requirements re paperwork.
With planning, AIUI, the way forward is to establish a need to be on site and park a mobile home there, and then apply for planning.
My 12 year daughter did a holding number application when I said she couldn't have any miniature goats as we didnt have a holding number .

As @CptDanjou ...
mine wanted pigs, ended up with eighty odd running riot about bloody the place.
[/QUOTE]
I gave Sis (a typical Cotswolds incomer) a couple as a housewarming present (they wanted pot bellied, I'm an evil b*st*rd) along with Gloucestershire Council's AH email address...
She was set up inside a week with a Holding no.
Herd no.
The works....

Bugger was selling 'artisan' bacon within a year!

Took a walk around the plantation today just to see what's out and about. Normally in mid January snowshoes would be a necessity but once again it's been a mild winter so far.
0YbyGM.jpg

Took a walk around the plantation today just to see what's out and about. Normally in mid January snowshoes would be a necessity but once again it's been a mild winter so far.
0YbyGM.jpg
Cotton or sugar?

Dunno whether this should be in the 'Storm' thread or not.
By th'edge 'o dark, toneet , it has been raining for two days, everywhere flooded that usually does(we're in the flat lands) and man and beast were soggy miserable and morose, but with full bellies and under cover, it's the best of a bad job.

I heard water running in the cellar about 20.30..
It's coming in through a leccy ducting from outside in the farmyard, sh*tty (cow) horrible, brown gravy.
Not a huge problem, DPC is a good foot above ground level, it's not gonna be nice, but I'm a hopeless hillbilly so we'll live.
Hang on though..
Cars are stopping outside...
The road adjacent has 2 inches of fall in just over half a mile,so is simply a canal, since I came inside its filled out yard completely, bar 14sq yds,(I paced it out) and water's running back, down the other side of the house, through our grain store (feed and fert six inches in water) and flowing out into the field parallel to the road not 40 ft away from whence it came.
It's like a bloody great moat.

I've blocked the building doorway with silage bales, dug a field gateway out( waste of time) and come in and poured mesel a stiffener.

I live in a large, neglected but architectually fancy1880's farmhouse, with a fireplace, ergo chimney in every room...
Getting a glass off the draining board, I've noticed a puddle forming on the floor from behind the cooker and oven units...
Feckity feckin feck.

Even during the Boxing Day deluge of '17(?) there was never anything like this.
Th'owd fellas just come for a look, he's lived on the farm for every day of his 80 years....
He's never seen owt like it, even close.

I hope everyone is safe tonight, I'm sure there's gonna be some be some bad news stories later on.

There was a item on one of the news sites about farmers losing crops because of walkers spreading out from muddy footpaths on fields. Cant find it now.
It was Olly Harrison I do believe.

He's right, but it's not an issue with our path, it's just gone downstream!
If anyone's brave enough to enter our yard in white trainers.......

( I think I once owned pair circa summer 1982!)

Here we go.
And that is exactly why l am so glad they don’t have public footpaths through farmland this side of the pond. Mind you we do have cünts who will take their raised pickup trucks into a wet planted field and do spin-outs at 1 am only to find themselves at the farmers mercy when they get buried past their axles.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
TB testing again today.

Can’t believe it’s already been 6 months since last time.

E076706A-D6A8-452D-8487-D47C438D55A6.jpeg
0A07A978-3E86-48BC-ABF1-2D5A487DF028.jpeg