Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The farming and smallholding thread

A very strange occurrence tonight.

Went out to look at a goat that was in the middle of miscarrying.

Called the vet out and they pulled 6 foetuses out of it.

All in various stages of development.

WTF? Never seen anything like it.

Suspected toxoplasmosis. Great. Time to sort out all the stray cats around the farm.

View attachment 526710
Bloody hell 6 ! poor old girl.

Suspected toxoplasmosis. Great. Time to sort out all the stray cats around the farm.

View attachment 526710
That is proper shit. You have my sympathy, for all that it is worth. I hate the trip to the kennels after something like this.

neil82

Old-Salt

View attachment 526710
one of the farms I shoot rabbits on has a problem with the bloody things, close enough to the village that every twat who ends up with kittens dumps them next to his barn, end up having to thin them down every other year, not sure if the answer is to sterilise the cats or the owners!

What’s folks thought’s on snaring?
Seemed fair game when taking rabbits for our table.
Now a bad way to get meat?
Inefficient and unnecessary , the most effective way to thin out rabbits is by shooting at night with a lamp/ NV , a .22LR or a decent air rifle does the job.

20201207_102908_compress19.jpg

I took pity on the cows and calves yesterday and took them a couple of bales of haylage.
The baler twine and plastic wrap goes for recycling by Farm XS.
20201208_105519_compress12.jpg

Londo

On ROPS
On ROPs
I'm not best pleased Food wise we always try and buy local if we can and on rare trips to the supermarket always try and stick to British produced foodstuffs if we can .
Yesterday Mrs Londo joined one of the daughters to go shopping at Farmfresh or whatever it's called .
2KG pack of skinless boneless Polish chicken breasts FFS . I will be going through the rest of the stuff she bought and may not let her food shop without me again :threaten:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm not best pleased Food wise we always try and buy local if we can and on rare trips to the supermarket always try and stick to British produced foodstuffs if we can .
Yesterday Mrs Londo joined one of the daughters to go shopping at Farmfresh or whatever it's called .
2KG pack of skinless boneless Polish chicken breasts FFS . I will be going through the rest of the stuff she bought and may not let her food shop without me again :threaten:

The missus came home from Iceland a year or two back (the supermarket, not the country) and had bought some chicken goujons “produce of Thailand”.

We literally have an entire hotel fridge stocked with meat from our farm. No excuse for it.

philc

LE
The missus came home from Iceland a year or two back (the supermarket, not the country) and had bought some chicken goujons “produce of Thailand”.

We literally have an entire hotel fridge stocked with meat from our farm. No excuse for it.

Woman and oh its a bargin, we have all sorts of stuff stashed, some long forgotten.

Londo

On ROPS
On ROPs

It's surprising how much chicken from Thailand is sold in the supermarkets over here .
Look at any of the tinned produce such as curries . Seems to be in most things
Last time I was in a supermarket the wife picked up a bag of frozen chicken breasts with an "oh this is cheap" I looked and said so it should be ....
Bag was marked Produce of Thailand and various EU countries .

Plus it's surprising how much frozen and tinned vegetables come from Belgium . Can't think why ? The field at the back of my garden is bigger than Belgium .
How do we manage to import so much from such a piddling little country ?

My butcher assures me he can point to the field at the back of his shop as to where the beef and lamb came from.

Probably because they still “ tumble “ chicken over there.
put in a glorified cement mixer with a,water protein and other stuff mix.
you can bulk the chicken up with about 30% water.....yum.

Londo

On ROPS
On ROPs
Probably because they still “ tumble “ chicken over there.
put in a glorified cement mixer with a,water protein and other stuff mix.
you can bulk the chicken up with about 30% water.....yum.
One of the reasons to stick to British .

What’s folks thought’s on snaring?
Seemed fair game when taking rabbits for our table.
Now a bad way to get meat?
Ferrets, 16/20/ bore/.410
Youngsters keen to learn gun safety, and countrylore.....

You might not end up with the biggest pie filling, but you'll have the happiest bunch of enthusiastic helpers money can't buy.

Eta.
(Youngsters enjoying the excitment, aged 90 and below)
A stressed animal gives poor meat.
The Sadistic Cnuts over in SE Asia would dispute that.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My butcher assures me he can point to the field at the back of his shop as to where the beef and lamb came from.
Yep. I was eating a steak at the pub on Friday and I realised I knew exactly which one of my cow’s it had come from.

07EFA018-CB51-48F3-A160-1264E9FB3F83.jpeg

Latest Threads