Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The farming and smallholding thread

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A thought just came to me @Ravers . That field by the river where walkers keep leaving the gate open .
Have you thought of putting a bull in that field ?
Should be ok as there's no public right of way through it and you could always put a sign up to warn people ;)

Pretty good shout.

All the bulls are at a different farm, but I’ve got plenty of beef steers (castrated males) that I could probably swap the Rough Fell sheep with.

No one wants to walk through a field full of massive cows.

And they are big fuckers.

It’s just the way things worked out. The cattle were already in a field closer to the house when we got the sheep.

Londo

On ROPS
On ROPs
Pretty good shout.

All the bulls are at a different farm, but I’ve got plenty of beef steers (castrated males) that I could probably swap the Rough Fell sheep with.

No one wants to walk through a field full of massive cows.

And they are big *******.

It’s just the way things worked out. The cattle were already in a field closer to the house when we got the sheep.
I tend to take the wife for a walk as I haven't got a dog . Quite happy to meet cows on our way but beef steers I try to keep well clear off . .

In fact I steer well away from them :-D

I tend to take the wife for a walk as I haven't got a dog . Quite happy to meet cows on our way but beef steers I try to keep well clear off . .

In fact I steer well away from them :-D
On a lead ? Does she come to the whistle ?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And this is why we do it.

Prime shorthorn beef rib, hitting the menu at one of our pubs right now....
DA9B079F-EB20-4711-8A67-10FAA0F0E5C4.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Anyone seen this?

Not sure what we’re gonna do. We have quite a few chickens roaming round the place, plus a few Guinea Fowl. 30 - 50 birds at a guess.

No way I’ll be able to catch them and round them up. Haven’t got anywhere to put them all anyway.

Option 1. Ignore the rules and face a fine.

Option 2. Shoot them all.

Anyone seen this?

Not sure what we’re gonna do. We have quite a few chickens roaming round the place, plus a few Guinea Fowl. 30 - 50 birds at a guess . . .
"The last time such action was taken, in late 2016, the government agreed to a 12-week derogation, during which time the eggs could still be labelled as “free-range” and so retain their premium price" . . .

It somehow, seems a lot more recent than 2016 ?!

Last edited:
BiL has 450 turkeys running around,he's in Cheshire( just) there was an outbreak just south in Frodsham a month ago, it's been 'squeaky bum time' for a while....

Guess we're gonna have to kill 'em all!

Me and the girls feckin HATE feckin turkeys....(for ten days starting next weekend, anyways!)

Ps.
Interesting learning folks plans for Xmas, ranging from..
" I want the same sized as usual, were having everyone round as normal"
to ...
" Can we just have a crown instead, there'll only be the two of us"..

Gonna end up cutting the big uns (25+lb'ers) in half to meet the demand for the weights most folk are ordering.
They would have gone for the catering jobs, Xmas works parties etc...that job simply disappeared.

Did I mention I feckin hate feckin turkeys?

Londo

On ROPS
On ROPs
BiL has 450 turkeys running around,he's in Cheshire( just) there was an outbreak just south in Frodsham a month ago, it's been 'squeaky bum time' for a while....

Guess we're gonna have to kill 'em all!

Me and the girls feckin HATE feckin turkeys....(for ten days starting next weekend, anyways!)

Ps.
Interesting learning folks plans for Xmas, ranging from..
" I want the same sized as usual, were having everyone round as normal"
to ...
" Can we just have a crown instead, there'll only be the two of us"..

Gonna end up cutting the big uns (25+lb'ers) in half to meet the demand for the weights most folk are ordering.
They would have gone for the catering jobs, Xmas works parties etc...that job simply disappeared.

Did I mention I feckin hate feckin turkeys?
Normally a small crowd of us 12 to 20 this year will be just the two plus the cats so will just be a small turkey .
Will be having ....
Turkey dinner , turkey sandwiches
Something other than turkey . turkey stew
Something other than turkey , turkey stew
I can just see it now .
Other than that the cats will be pleased

Normally a small crowd of us 12 to 20 this year will be just the two plus the cats so will just be a small turkey .
Will be having ....
Something other than turkey . turkey stew
Something other than turkey , turkey stew
I can just see it now .
Other than that the cats will be pleased
What’s the going cost on a turkey these days per kilo/ pound?

Londo

On ROPS
On ROPs
No idea to be honest . We bought a small frozen one from the supermarket for about £9 I think . Cant tell you the weight though it's well buried in the freezer .

No idea to be honest . We bought a small frozen one from the supermarket for about £9 I think . Cant tell you the weight though it's well buried in the freezer .
Was curious as the price bottomed out this side of the pond because of the surplus. In mid October some farmers were selling at cost through farm gate sales just to thin out stock so prices would stabilize for the Christmas season.

Londo

On ROPS
On ROPs
Was curious as the price bottomed out this side of the pond because of the surplus. In mid October some farmers were selling at cost through farm gate sales just to thin out stock so prices would stabilize for the Christmas season.
I think a lot of farmers are having the same problem in this country .
Our one this year is just a cheap supermarket one as we are self isolating due to covid and not shopping as such and just getting home deliveries .
No idea as to where the poor bird came from .

Anyone seen this?

Not sure what we’re gonna do. We have quite a few chickens roaming round the place, plus a few Guinea Fowl. 30 - 50 birds at a guess.

No way I’ll be able to catch them and round them up. Haven’t got anywhere to put them all anyway.

Option 1. Ignore the rules and face a fine.

Option 2. Shoot them all.
Last time we used an old 30' polytunnel frame covered in demolition net and moved it around once a week,
will do the same again but wityh hindsight no one is going to be able to check due to our biosecurity regime , covid 19 isolation and some old biff checking plugs for spiders webs getting the hump.

BiL's on around £3.85 lb (ish) for whites, a good quid more for bronze...all weighed long leg.

Traditional way still, oop 'ere, as you've probably worked out....
Dry plucked, singed and hung for appropriate duration before drawing (weather dependant)

Did I mention I HATE turks?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A very strange occurrence tonight.

Went out to look at a goat that was in the middle of miscarrying.

Called the vet out and they pulled 6 foetuses out of it.

All in various stages of development.

WTF? Never seen anything like it.

Suspected toxoplasmosis. Great. Time to sort out all the stray cats around the farm.

3BCF153E-9F68-4CA9-8EB0-1CEB2565F382.jpeg

Latest Threads