Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The farming and smallholding thread

anglo

LE
I said St Kilda , they are the same breed . learn your sheep breeds you petting zoo visitor.

St Kilda is a place not breed of sheep

St Kilda is an isolated archipelago situated 40 miles west-northwest of North Uist in the North Atlantic Ocean. It contains the westernmost islands of the Outer Hebrides of Scotland. The largest island is Hirta, whose sea cliffs are the highest in the United Kingdom

They breed Soay sheep
I wanted the name of the sheep, not one of the places they are breed
So, you were wrong

learn your sheep breeds you petting zoo visitor.

I never said I am an expert on sheep
SUY

My friend says Soay sheep are too short for any recreational use.
St Kilda is a place not breed of sheep

St Kilda is an isolated archipelago situated 40 miles west-northwest of North Uist in the North Atlantic Ocean. It contains the westernmost islands of the Outer Hebrides of Scotland. The largest island is Hirta, whose sea cliffs are the highest in the United Kingdom

They breed Soay sheep
I wanted the name of the sheep, not one of the places they are breed
So, you were wrong

learn your sheep breeds you petting zoo visitor.

I never said I am an expert on sheep
SUY
In the farming world many refer to them as St Kilda`s .

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

no f in beer

War Hero
Talking of sheep, 6 monthly purchase of whole lamb £5.30 per kilo, all butchered nicely, decent price? just curious as we will still buy it, tastes very good,been going to same butcher for a couple of years. Lamb wont be killed till saturday, pick up meat on Tuesday

Dad had a flock of 70 or so soays at Thrimby Hall as a hobby up until about 5 years ago.
A bit unique, wild as the wind, would come to a bucket but as the bumpff said not dog workable.
Exceptional mother’s,didn’t need clipping and the CEO of Northern foods said they were the best tasting sheep he ever eat. ( he had 5 off dad every year for the freezer.)

Some customers of mine had a flock of 30 or so soay's ...... they spent their entire time trying to escape....this happened on a regular basis despite whatever bigger better fence was put around them..... eventually they made a big break and managed to get into a local ancient wood of about 900 acres .... they then lived happily wild in the woodland for 14 months despite every local sheep expert and dog trialer trying to capture them...... before they were re mustered into a deer proof field .... and then sold as quickly as possible .

I reckon @Ravers has cracked!

( Due credits to Rebanks)
Screenshot_20200924-134531.png

Bastard foxes have got in and had two of our chickens.
One was a rescue from the egg farms and the other from the RSPCA.
The ex farm chook had stopped laying and the RSPCA rescue had a huge character, she would always escape the run and follow you around the garden diving in every time you moved anything with bugs under it.

Bastard fox. I cannot even shoot it.

@ Humble Tiller and @ Opps .....
As a matter of interest what are your local main dealers current hourly charge out rate ? .....
I've asked Bil cos I'm averse to paying for shiny showrooms and reps. pension plans.....
JD £78/ hr
Agco £70/hr
NH £45/hr ( They're trying hard to re establish themselves after being wiped out)
Various indy lads with workshops £30-£40/hr.
Man in van .. spanner lads from £11- £25 -£35 ...all mid thirties 'fit to travel' lads, the two more expensive are ex dealer trained ( with access to mnfr codes etc.)
The cheapest lad used to work for us part time and self taught....
He can rebuild an engine / gearbox with the best of 'em, but lacks self confidence to go full time (he milks cows too)
From memory, our valtra tech was £35/hr plus £1 mile travelling ( he's 50 miles away)I'd still rather use him than the kids just out of college at agco one and a half miles away..
There's a huge difference between mechanics and fitters....
The latter often think they're the former!.

Bit of a drift, but appertaining to the end of your post. I've been going to the same garage, cars, for years. Quite friendly with the owner. Some of the stories he told me are mind boggling. He took on a young lad on an apprenticeship, as the dad was a customer, big mistake. The lad was as thick as the two short planks, meaning everything had to be checked before it could leave the premises. Lad not happy, tells dad. Dad comes in when next MOT is due, saying he wants lad to do it. Fine, go ahead. MOT finished and dad jumps into car. Doesn't get out of the yard, and manages to turn round, without hitting anything, as the steering was a bit wonky, as were the brakes! Bloody frightening, as this was potentially the next generation of mechanics. Drift over.

Bastard foxes have got in and had two of our chickens.
One was a rescue from the egg farms and the other from the RSPCA.
The ex farm chook had stopped laying and the RSPCA rescue had a huge character, she would always escape the run and follow you around the garden diving in every time you moved anything with bugs under it.

Bastard fox. I cannot even shoot it.
Foxes can get over real tall fencing, 6 foot and more I've seen so they could get into a pheasant release pen and wreak carnage. Can you put up overhead wiring at all? Also, dig the fencing in deep, a couple of foot if you can.

I've asked Bil cos I'm averse to paying for shiny showrooms and reps. pension plans.....
JD £78/ hr
Agco £70/hr
NH £45/hr ( They're trying hard to re establish themselves after being wiped out)
Various indy lads with workshops £30-£40/hr.
Man in van .. spanner lads from £11- £25 -£35 ...all mid thirties 'fit to travel' lads, the two more expensive are ex dealer trained ( with access to mnfr codes etc.)
The cheapest lad used to work for us part time and self taught....
He can rebuild an engine / gearbox with the best of 'em, but lacks self confidence to go full time (he milks cows too)
From memory, our valtra tech was £35/hr plus £1 mile travelling ( he's 50 miles away)I'd still rather use him than the kids just out of college at agco one and a half miles away..

NH are trying bloody hard..... fixed costs to put a Tech in a van, train him , pay him, run a van etc are around £35 hr (this may well be out of date and is probably more in S East )
If your tech returns over 75% of his hrs as chargeable to the customer he's doing pretty well 85% would be very good ..... that dealers making no money on his workshop or just covering costs.....his techs will have to travel to and stay in Basildon for training courses, I spent over 2 months one year on CNH courses in the UK , Belgium , and Austria not to mention other machinery courses often needing a night away....

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Finally got the old girl running today.

Needed a fair bit of work as our old farm manager cannibalised it to make his one good.

Had some holes in the radiator that needed welding, full top end rebuild, new hoses all round and a battery, but she goes now.

Massive thanks to @Cutaway who sent me an original workshop manual for it.
21C1B003-7F7A-4B03-AF24-F4E7944CC6D4.jpeg

anglo

LE
Finally got the old girl running today.

Needed a fair bit of work as our old farm manager cannibalised it to make his one good.

Had some holes in the radiator that needed welding, full top end rebuild, new hoses all round and a battery, but she goes now.

Massive thanks to @Cutaway who sent me an original workshop manual for it.
View attachment 507460
You'll look a bit of a prick going shopping on that {edit} fine looking tractor;)

Last edited:

Latest Threads