Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The farming and smallholding thread

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
When your shed is worth more than most peoples houses.

View attachment 505797

Not wishing to be Jonny two sheds, but I do have two of them.

They’re outhouses for the bowling green. One of them still has a four seat long drop shitter in it.

Might turn them into glamping pods one day. At the moment they’re just storage for gardening tools and the kids bikes.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
When you can train your sheep to graze in reciprocal straight lines.......

Don’t be ridiculous, you can’t train sheep.

I’ve just got a very well trained collie that makes them do that.

philc

LE
We know there’s been a house here since Roman times. In early medieval times there would’ve been a “Pele Tower” here which is a type of small castle, very common in Cumbria, Northumberland and the Scottish Borders.

These Pele Towers were semi military installations for the purpose of keeping the marauding Scots out, or the marauding English if you were on the other side of the border.

A lot of these Pele Towers contain bricks that were salvaged from Hadrians wall. When the Romans went home, the wall just became a free source of building material for everyone up here.

My house is no different and there are stones in it that are exactly the same size, shape and material as the ones in Hadrians wall.

Anyway during Elizabethan times things calmed down quite a lot and the majority of these Pele Towers were turned into big houses.

Ours was done in a bit of a haphazard way with the fortifications removed and extensions added to the original structure.

What’s left is a house with a very odd internal layout. Some bits date from the original Pele Tower with potentially even Roman foundations, the rest is mostly from 1610 which is when the wife’s family took it on.

We know some other work was carried out in 1676 as there is a plaque with that date on it. Formal ornate gardens were laid out and it was said to have the finest gardens in the north of England.

As for the occupants, from 1610 we obviously know exactly who lived here because they’re all the wife’s ancestors. One of her great great great etc. Grandfather’s was the Governor of Barbados, we have a cold room in the house that is labelled as a rum cellar on some drawings. Some metal
Detectorists also found some 17th century Spanish coins in the garden which I can only assume have some Caribbean link.

Up until the 17th century, the family had been fairly wealthy landowners and were sort of lower tier noblemen; Barons, Knights etc. They served in the crusades and raised armies of tenant farmers, that sort of thing.

Then they found coal in West Cumbria and things changed. They became very very wealthy and bought up most of the county and some bits further east.

By known they’d split into 3 distinct branches, one branch in the West with the coal, one here and one a few miles down the road near where cloth_bomber lives.

Two of the lines died out and the young lad who lived here inherited everything, becoming one of the richest men in England overnight at the age of about 17.

He was offered a Dukedom but was advised to turn it down due to his immaturity and general character. He became an Earl instead. This bloke is pretty famous for being a grade A nutcase and evil bastard. It’s said he engaged In necrophilia and all sorts.

Being obscenely wealthy he decided to demolish our house and build a big castle in it’s place. He got as far as knocking down the central wing, about half of the original Pele Tower. Plans changed for some reason and he moved over to a different part of the estate about 10 miles away and built a castle there instead.

The bit of the house that had been demolished was rebuilt as cheaply as possible, just as a single storey this time and the house was tenanted out.

My missus is the first member of her family to live here in over 200 years.
View attachment 505767View attachment 505768View attachment 505769View attachment 505770

I watched a few Docs about the Scots/English border and the castles/keeps your describing, it was either Neil Oliver or that wet Tory bloke, worth checking out.

I'll set em up.....
Ps.
A mate brought me a load of barley last week with his brand new steed, it took three restarts before the gearbox decided to propel him through our gateway....
He crawled home in limp mode....
Mechanics been out twice, it's now having a weeks holiday back at the stealers...
It's the first time they've strayed from the Leaping Goat (JD) in 40 odd years.....
View attachment 504531

Well, it was a great lump cheaper!
JD does seem to be the preferred brand , a few years back I had six months driving a 6170 , I was doing around 45 hours a week with it , never an issue and like driving a high end saloon car.
1600593126743.png

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Not wishing to be Jonny two sheds, but I do have two of them.

They’re outhouses for the bowling green. One of them still has a four seat long drop shitter in it.

Might turn them into glamping pods one day. At the moment they’re just storage for gardening tools and the kids bikes.
My mistake , I though you was getting all above your station but they are just for the bowling green like anyone has.

Got to go , the peacocks have got into the vineyard in the grounds of my council house again.

Londo

LE
We know there’s been a house here since Roman times. In early medieval times there would’ve been a “Pele Tower” here which is a type of small castle, very common in Cumbria, Northumberland and the Scottish Borders.

These Pele Towers were semi military installations for the purpose of keeping the marauding Scots out, or the marauding English if you were on the other side of the border.

A lot of these Pele Towers contain bricks that were salvaged from Hadrians wall. When the Romans went home, the wall just became a free source of building material for everyone up here.

My house is no different and there are stones in it that are exactly the same size, shape and material as the ones in Hadrians wall.

Anyway during Elizabethan times things calmed down quite a lot and the majority of these Pele Towers were turned into big houses.

Ours was done in a bit of a haphazard way with the fortifications removed and extensions added to the original structure.

What’s left is a house with a very odd internal layout. Some bits date from the original Pele Tower with potentially even Roman foundations, the rest is mostly from 1610 which is when the wife’s family took it on.

We know some other work was carried out in 1676 as there is a plaque with that date on it. Formal ornate gardens were laid out and it was said to have the finest gardens in the north of England.

As for the occupants, from 1610 we obviously know exactly who lived here because they’re all the wife’s ancestors. One of her great great great etc. Grandfather’s was the Governor of Barbados, we have a cold room in the house that is labelled as a rum cellar on some drawings. Some metal
Detectorists also found some 17th century Spanish coins in the garden which I can only assume have some Caribbean link.

Up until the 17th century, the family had been fairly wealthy landowners and were sort of lower tier noblemen; Barons, Knights etc. They served in the crusades and raised armies of tenant farmers, that sort of thing.

Then they found coal in West Cumbria and things changed. They became very very wealthy and bought up most of the county and some bits further east.

By known they’d split into 3 distinct branches, one branch in the West with the coal, one here and one a few miles down the road near where cloth_bomber lives.

Two of the lines died out and the young lad who lived here inherited everything, becoming one of the richest men in England overnight at the age of about 17.

He was offered a Dukedom but was advised to turn it down due to his immaturity and general character. He became an Earl instead. This bloke is pretty famous for being a grade A nutcase and evil bastard. It’s said he engaged In necrophilia and all sorts.

Being obscenely wealthy he decided to demolish our house and build a big castle in it’s place. He got as far as knocking down the central wing, about half of the original Pele Tower. Plans changed for some reason and he moved over to a different part of the estate about 10 miles away and built a castle there instead.

The bit of the house that had been demolished was rebuilt as cheaply as possible, just as a single storey this time and the house was tenanted out.

My missus is the first member of her family to live here in over 200 years.
View attachment 505767View attachment 505768View attachment 505769View attachment 505770
Fantastic . Just the sort of information I love to read about . Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed reply @Ravers

20200921_095049_compress19.jpg

20200921_095509_resized_compress37.jpg
20200921_123636_compress52.jpg

Today I moved 6 steers down to the watermeadows as there is a lot of grass there atm, and also NE will pay an enhanced rate per hectare for it being grazed lightly by a Heritage Breed.

After that I disced in the 41 acres of oats and vetch cover crop.

@Oops and @grimbo , do you have any knowledge of Proforge machinery ? I am looking to replace my elderly Carrier and their stuff looks good value.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads