Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The farming and smallholding thread

Londo

LE
@Londo
Haulm poisonous ( same family as deadly nightshade)

Topped to 'shock spuds ' into 'skin set'.... Toughen em up a bit for the rigours of harvest...

Irrigation.....soften the soil up a bit for the harvester to deal with easier, thus protecting delicate soil/skin interface......

( Its not an issue round here, I've heard one report of a tractor getting stuck this morning..... Reports of between 18mm and 30 mm recorded within a mile of each other last night ( we'd 28 ) and rumours of 80mm recorded on the Fylde)
Explains all . Thank you

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You have to be an optimist. Otherwise you would not do what you do.
You carry on doing what you are doing.
The world needs optimists.

Compared to the last one he’s doing great.

Last one was completely limp, couldn’t stand up and you could see his exposed vertebrae because he’d lost so much flesh.

This one looks pretty sorry for himself but at least he’s up and about and eating.

He’s had a rough life so far, he’s only just recovered from a nasty case of orf.

Interestingly, the only ones we’ve had problems with have been the orphaned pet lambs that we got for free from another farm and bottle fed.

All the ones that were born here have been absolutely fine.

Last one was completely limp, couldn’t stand up and you could see his exposed vertebrae because he’d lost so much flesh.

This one looks pretty sorry for himself but at least he’s up and about and eating.

He’s had a rough life so far, he’s only just recovered from a nasty case of orf.

Interestingly, the only ones we’ve had problems with have been the orphaned pet lambs that we got for free from another farm and bottle fed.

So you took on some spackers, and they turned out, well, you know...

Oops

War Hero

Feckin orrible.
Your genetics are obviously spot on...
Istr you mentioned you might keep the best tup lamb?
I'm sure you're ahead of me.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Feckin orrible.
Your genetics are obviously spot on...
Istr you mentioned you might keep the best tup lamb?
I'm sure you're ahead of me.

Yep lesson learned. He didn’t survive the night. Out of the 5 pets we got, there are now only 2 left.

And one of those is a weird grey and ginger colour that doesn’t really correspond with the Herdwick breed standard.

So 1 good one out of 5.

As above, our home bred ones have been perfect and I could easily get them registered as a pedigree herd.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A bit of a momentous occasion, Booths are now stocking cheese made from our goat milk.

Ignore the Yorkshire bit. A mistake due to us being in the Yorkshire Dales National Park.

It got its name because our farm manager’s surname is McPhee.
5DA4603C-B842-4E67-B9A8-D610A5E9B0ED.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Random moment of the day.

Sir Chris Bonnington just knocked on the door to tell us the goats were out.

Oops

War Hero
A bit of a momentous occasion, Booths are now stocking cheese made from our goat milk.

Ignore the Yorkshire bit. A mistake due to us being in the Yorkshire Dales National Park.

It got its name because our farm manager’s surname is McPhee.View attachment 496403
Bloody Hell....
'Ignore Yorkshire'....

They'll never let us do that tha' nos!
IMG_20200812_122921.jpg

Also, who in their right minds can afford to buy poncey foreign sounding expensive stuff from Booths?

It'll never catch on y'know

We have a family farm up in Staffordshire that is in the Dooms day book not massive and not small. Half the land we rent from a Catholic Abby and the rest is ours. Mainly it’s dairy which has taken a massive hit from CV19 Freshway have a lot to answer for. I had two things to do when I left school farming or down the mines nope not for me so if I went to the Army.

When ever my cousin needs a holiday I’m always dispatched to look after it getting up to do milking at stupid hour is worse than getting up for stag lol.

My cousin will be starting Pheasant shoots next year he has spent a fair amount getting ready for it.

Augustus

War Hero

It got its name because our farm manager’s surname is McPhee.View attachment 496403
Well, just went to order some of this on the Appleby Creamery website and it's out of stock.....!

Ah, the power of Arrse......

Random moment of the day for me - I had not heard his name, thought of him, seen anything to do with him for years, probably 15-20 of them. The other day I saw a carabiner for sale, that was just to hang stuff off bags and the like. Stamped on it was “not for climbing”, and I thought to myself “not much use to Chris Bonnington then”.

Now here he is again :)

We have a family farm up in Staffordshire that is in the Dooms day book not massive and not small. Half the land we rent from a Catholic Abby and the rest is ours. Mainly it’s dairy which has taken a massive hit from CV19 Freshway have a lot to answer for. I had two things to do when I left school farming or down the mines nope not for me so if I went to the Army.

When ever my cousin needs a holiday I’m always dispatched to look after it getting up to do milking at stupid hour is worse than getting up for stag lol.

My cousin will be starting Pheasant shoots next year he has spent a fair amount getting ready for it.
Dairy farming. If only there was an organisation that promoted milk and dairy products, and guaranteed a milk price 'of last resort' above the cost of production. It could be called the 'Milk Production Company' , or 'Dairy Food Ltd.', or maybe, just maybe, 'The Milk Marketing Board'.

We should finish the spring barley tomorrow, initially it flattered to deceive at 3t/acre, but today I doubt it has done 2.4.
Incredibly hot today, had to stop combining twice to avoid overheating the engine. If it doesn't cool down soon getting grain temperatures down in store will be a challenge.
I bought some garlic molasses licks for the cattle to compliment the Flypor pour on fly treatment and they have given them a complete swerve.
20200812_170417_compress39.jpg
20200812_081752_compress6.jpg
20200812_075655_compress80.jpg

Random moment of the day.

Sir Chris Bonnington just knocked on the door to tell us the goats were out.

as an aside, his autobiography is great. Two things struck me though, firstly in a slightly macabre Alan Partridge-esque way, nearly every chapter ends the same - someone dies on an expedition and it’s very sad. Secondly you could read it as him being either an incompetent climber because on every expedition someone dies, or simply the lucky bugger of that gang that managed to survive.

Latest Threads