The farming and smallholding thread

Oops

War Hero
@armchair_jihad Ravers' description is bang on as always.
If you Google 'fly strike' you'll see what you need to.
It's a wierd feeling when you see a sheep 'Just a bit off' and grab it......
It wriggles free and your literally stood with half a sheep's side/ backside in your hand and maggots dripping off it like melted ice cream.
The weather we're having up here is perfect for the bloody things at present, warm wet and loads of fresh grass sh*tting em.

Realise I'm late to this, but as a townie I'd struggle to slaughter these. They're fantastic looking beasts that I'd struggle not to turn into pets but hypocritically have no problem putting bits of them onto a BBQ. Thank God for professional farmers and slaughter men
I can't pretend I feel too great when taking animals to the abbattoir, after all you have seen them every day for two years in the case of beef steers, and I strongly suspect that the pigs outrank me on the intelligence front.
In mitigation, I try to do the best by them during their time here: both the cattle and pigs live outdoors 24/7, (the only exception is TB testing when the cattle are in for five days). The pure Sussex cattle are really too slow growing to make sense on a large commercial scale, as are the pigs (this year a mix of Old Spot, Sandy and Black and a Berkshire), so if fools like me didn't keep them, and kill them, and then people eat them, these old breeds would in all likelihood disappear. And that would be a lot worse than my first world guilt, so keep barbecuing.

I can't pretend I feel too great when taking animals to the abbattoir, after all you have seen them every day for two years in the case of beef steers, and I strongly suspect that the pigs outrank me on the intelligence front.
In mitigation, I try to do the best by them during their time here: both the cattle and pigs live outdoors 24/7, (the only exception is TB testing when the cattle are in for five days). The pure Sussex cattle are really too slow growing to make sense on a large commercial scale, as are the pigs (this year a mix of Old Spot, Sandy and Black and a Berkshire), so if fools like me didn't keep them, and kill them, and then people eat them, these old breeds would in all likelihood disappear. And that would be a lot worse than my first world guilt, so keep barbecuing.
That is excellent to hear. I always try and get my meat from the local butcher who knows where it comes from. It costs a little bit more, but it means that the animal has lived as good a life as it could under the hands of someone like you. Please keep on going

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There’s always one dick head who’d rather go for a ride in the Landy instead of walking.

F55FBD91-54A5-41C8-8FD9-3F69F7D06391.jpeg
1C4F4A63-0A17-4E00-969F-D4FE3C03A27C.jpeg

Oops

War Hero
Which one's the idiot though ??
Second Class Riding beats First Class Walking every time
BTW.
The presence of handy lengths of blue alkathene should in no way imply anything other than one's desire to extend the length of one's leading arm.......
( Y'r Honour)

I recall the first time a gnarled old farmer was challenged by a Market Inspector for his use of above for
A.
Protecting himself and those round him.
B
Encouraging the 750kg lump of musclebound killing machine to go where it was meant to rather than where it wanted to.....

He simply climbed up the rails out of harm's way and said...
"Show me"

Of course slapping your wellies loudly with said stick works well enough but even Billy Goat Gruff will wisen up eventually.

ETA
Definition of a 'Proper' Country Kid....
One of the hottest days of the year....

Wellies...

Respect!

Attachments

Last edited:
Ah the ubiquitous piece of rubber water pipe , i can remember having that as kid to control the cows .

My old man actually needed his as when ever the cows bunched up going through a gateway , one of them would move sideways and forward through the herd to try and get near him to give him a boot !

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Always handy when some dickhead decides to leave your gate open and let all your sheep out.

There is a stile about 20m from the gate.

That's the wheat done. The variety Crusoe did c. 3t/acre and the Zyatt 3.5. On the face of it a bit "Meh" but this year I am happy with the former and delighted with the latter.
Just to make it a proper harvest the outlet to the rubbish trailer from the grain cleaner blocked up yesterday afternoon, leading to the main elevator giving up. Two hours clearing the decks gave the overheating combine time to cool down and we could restart. This morning was spent hoovering 2 tons of wheat out of the void below the intake pit.
Spring Barley next, hope to start on Tuesday.
20200807_145702_compress4.jpg
20200807_143656_compress29.jpg

sand_rat

Old-Salt
OK a question for the old and bold cattle men. As a child (say 50 years ago) I went walking with my granddad who in his time had been a RN stoker (I have is medals) a general building labourer and a farm labourer etc.
So on the said walk we spotted a Friesian 'cow' - sex unknown but suspect a bullock that had a big strong thick leather collar and an array of spikes coming off it that would have embarrassed and medieval dungeon, the only one in the herd.
So some thing to 'protect' it, or a latter day version of the modern day ' cone of shame for dogs'?
Gents?

OK a question for the old and bold cattle men. As a child (say 50 years ago) I went walking with my granddad who in his time had been a RN stoker (I have is medals) a general building labourer and a farm labourer etc.
So on the said walk we spotted a Friesian 'cow' - sex unknown but suspect a bullock that had a big strong thick leather collar and an array of spikes coming off it that would have embarrassed and medieval dungeon, the only one in the herd.
So some thing to 'protect' it, or a latter day version of the modern day ' cone of shame for dogs'?
Gents?
@Oops

Gents?
Possibly a device to stop it trying to suckle other cows ......despite being fully grown......no unknown for older cattle to still like the taste of milk..... more often nowadays a smaller device that fits in the nostrils and covers the upper part of the nose ....still has spikes on it though

1596923063966.png

About sums up most British stock farmers..... when we used to do beef animals it was surprisingly hard to find any of the 8-10 rough tough meat eating contracting crew to help load the animals.... we all had a favourite animal that would want a stroke or was just a character that would butt 700 kg straw bales around the yard like they were toys.

We wouldn't have wanted it any other way though..... it showed all of them cared about the animals , respected them as fellow mammals and living creatures and as described above gave them the best life and treatment possible ..... we stopped using one livestock haulier because his drivers were rough with the animals .....no excuse to mistreat them on their final journey

Worry is many of the imports now come from places where this is not the norm and the stock are treated as a commodity ...... but it's cheap and supermarkets like cheap and can get a better margin and even sell it as "British Beef"

Oops

War Hero
Ah the ubiquitous piece of rubber water pipe , i can remember having that as kid to control the cows .

My old man actually needed his as when ever the cows bunched up going through a gateway , one of them would move sideways and forward through the herd to try and get near him to give him a boot
To add to a couple of excellent posts previously.
We've got 'Kicking cow'.....
She's a quite happy calm and valuable member of the herd.
However, come winter housing, PD'ing etc. if she can get herself within range of a human then its 'Game on'
Every Vet that comes,( usually newly qualified Girlies) are warned....
" That's Kicking Cow, she's like nothing you've ever seen before, keep at least six ft. away from her till I get her shut in the crush.....

As they're picking themselves up off the floor, trying to fathom which way is up, the common phrase is always summat like. "How did that happen?"...

She 'stamps' downwards and outwards at the speed of light, unless you know it's coming, you never even see her lift her foot!

Since my accident, we've had to compile a 'list'. Everything used to get at least a second chance, however it's simply not feasible anymore, we've got to reduce our numbers drastically before winter once again.
I have a grudging admiration for her, but she's getting alot nearer the 'debit' column..

Eta
Two had to go this week...
'Skull' and
'Teeny'.... a twin heifer calf , born here in 2002, too weak to fight for milk so I reared her on a bucket.
She produced 13 calves, her daughter, also a twin, has calved a heifer calf this week...
Circle of life an all that, but it still leaves a taste.
( Plus the Cull cow job is on fire...All this BBQ burger demand is trickling through to us a the bottom of the food chain..
Teeny came to £806, this time last year she wouldn't have done £450)
Kicker is half as big again!
I try and 'detach myself from the réalité' as much as possible, like @grimbo I've pulled plenty of folk up for abusing their so called superiority over 'dumb animals.'
The dichotomy of it all however, is I'm a shooting fella, I've chucked a slaughterman out of the yard before now because he was winding his victim up unnecessarily ( I'm on a DEFRA licenced list somewhere should F&M ever re occur) I'll euthanase anyone's animals for 'em, and take pride in doing the job 'properly' dispassionately and clinically, yet shed a tear when 'The Knob' came to the end of the line a month ago....
We're chucking a couple of.steaks on the BBQ tonight from a heifer that broke it's leg as a calf during the only 2 miles of transport it ever took, in the trailer with its mother...
By the time I'd unlocked the gun cabinet and returned with the rifle, it was valiantly sucking away at its mums side, I hadn't the heart to kill it that night, jabbed it up with pain killer and although it's rear leg never set ( just below the 'knee' and stuck out at 45° ) it lived happily with its mum. As the Vet agreed,
"If it was in pain it wouldn't be thriving."

It grew as fast as it's siblings, Daughters hand fed it in a loose box for another year before one day she put her head down into the feed bucket for the last time....
They skinned her out too!
They were as eager as the Vet to see just how the damage had failed to impact more significantly on her (good) life.

Back to the Abbattoir theme...
Our Vets husband is the Lairage Manager at one of the biggest slaughterhouses in the Country, plenty of folk drive past on the M6/65 without even realising they kill over 400 cattle and >1500 sheep a day there.
Every square inch is monitored by CCTV, if you take a stick in its got to be for leaning on, if you raise it in the air there's Hell to pay...
One of his Eastern European workforce is going to come to a gory end soon enough, unable to defend himself in a tight passageway, but be assured the animals who meet their end in one of our World leading Slaughterhouses/Factories are the lucky ones...
(They even stun the Halal stuff)
Feck.....
I've said it....

This is the reason I wrote out three replies to @old_n_fat / @Humble Tiller's posts and then refrained and deleted......

The Middle Eastern Problem.......

I'VE GOT A FECKIN PROBLEM ALRIGHT.....

Considering they're supposed to be hate each other, and are diametrically opposed on most issues....
I've once had a very 'lively' debate at a certain modern abbattoir in Oldham that caters to both Tribes....
I consider myself a decent type of farmery bloke who's 'Greenishly tinged' rather than the Red blooded Agribusinessman you need to be nowadays to thrive up here...
However, being lectured by a Rabbi (or whatever he was) whilst the Beardy throat cutter from the other side of the Equation looked on, that the animals feel nowt but the 'bite' of a razor sharp knife and the soothing words of whatever jibberish the speak up there as they drift off into unconsciousness.....
Feckin Hmmm...
I insisted they shot Viva ( our old Stock Bull) in front of me, even if it was only a second beforehand, to them doing their stuff.....
The Spanish Vet couldn't understand what all the fuss was about, but seeing how I was holding the whole operation up, Viva got a cap.

We refuse to supply em now if it's
"F't Jewish job"

Savages, the Bloody lot of 'em.
( And the bloody Latins for teasing em to death for so called sport)..

Sorry for ranting.
I know there are many of you who have witnessed plenty of Man's inhumanity to Man, but as you can tell, a nerve's been well and truly hit....

I'll have to be more careful, looking at
@HT's forearm, either it really 'ain't arf hot darn sarf'. or he originates from one of those Dusky Tribes I've been banging on about and his pig pics are an elaborate 'come on'!
And while I'm at it....
Pigs, pigs... unclean....

They're the cleanest and most intelligent domestic animals on God's Green Earth....

( Oh, I'm off again... Nurse!)

Apologies once again.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
With reference to your kicking cow....

When I first moved up here and I was still very new to all this, I was helping the brother in law clip one of his prize shorthorn bulls before a show.

As you can imagine this beast was absolutely massive.

So he’s in the crush and we’re there painting his toenails (seriously), brushing his eyelashes and giving him the full Vidal Sassoon makeover.

For some reason he decides to just lash out with his back left leg.

The leg comes straight out the crush and with a whip like crack, strikes me perfectly on the starboard bollock.

Not a full force kick that would knock you over, more like when some fucker towel whips you in the gym changing room, except the leg of a 1000kg bull instead of a towel.

Did I mention it was in the bollox?

It hit just at the very extension of his leg and is up there with the greatest pain I’ve ever experienced.

ugly

LE
Pubs and hotel are open again now so life is slowly getting back to normal.

Sent 3 bullocks and 3 goats to slaughter this afternoon. Destined to become Michelin starred scran.

It’s always sad when they go but that’s farming. I know that we’ve given them the best life possible while they’ve been here.

View attachment 494794
do you get paid per leg?

However, come winter housing, PD'ing etc. if she can get herself within range of a human then its 'Game on'
" That's Kicking Cow, she's like nothing you've ever seen before, keep at least six ft. away from her till I get her shut in the crush.....

As they're picking themselves up off the floor, trying to fathom which way is up, the common phrase is always summat like. "How did that happen?"...

She 'stamps' downwards and outwards at the speed of light, unless you know it's coming, you never even see her lift her foot!

Since my accident, we've had to compile a 'list'. Everything used to get at least a second chance, however it's simply not feasible anymore, we've got to reduce our numbers drastically before winter once again.
I have a grudging admiration for her, but she's getting alot nearer the 'debit' column..

Eta
'Skull' and
'Teeny'.... a twin heifer calf , born here in 2002, too weak to fight for milk so I reared her on a bucket.
She produced 13 calves, her daughter, also a twin, has calved a heifer calf this week...
( Plus the Cull cow job is on fire...All this BBQ burger demand is trickling through to us a the bottom of the food chain..
I try and 'detach myself from the réalité' as much as possible, like @grimbo I've pulled plenty of folk up for abusing their so called superiority over 'dumb animals.'
The dichotomy of it all however, is I'm a shooting fella, I've chucked a slaughterman out of the yard before now because he was winding his victim up unnecessarily ( I'm on a DEFRA licenced list somewhere should F&M ever re occur) I'll euthanase anyone's animals for 'em, and take pride in doing the job 'properly' dispassionately and clinically, yet shed a tear when 'The Knob' came to the end of the line a month ago....
We're chucking a couple of.steaks on the BBQ tonight from a heifer that broke it's leg as a calf during the only 2 miles of transport it ever took, in the trailer with its mother...
By the time I'd unlocked the gun cabinet and returned with the rifle, it was valiantly sucking away at its mums side, I hadn't the heart to kill it that night, jabbed it up with pain killer and although it's rear leg never set ( just below the 'knee' and stuck out at 45° ) it lived happily with its mum. As the Vet agreed,

It grew as fast as it's siblings, Daughters hand fed it in a loose box for another year before one day she put her head down into the feed bucket for the last time....
They were as eager as the Vet to see just how the damage had failed to impact more significantly on her (good) life.

Our Vets husband is the Lairage Manager at one of the biggest slaughterhouses in the Country, plenty of folk drive past on the M6/65 without even realising they kill over 400 cattle and >1500 sheep a day there.
Every square inch is monitored by CCTV, if you take a stick in its got to be for leaning on, if you raise it in the air there's Hell to pay...
One of his Eastern European workforce is going to come to a gory end soon enough, unable to defend himself in a tight passageway, but be assured the animals who meet their end in one of our World leading Slaughterhouses/Factories are the lucky ones...
Feck.....
I've said it....

This is the reason I wrote out three replies to @old_n_fat / @Humble Tiller's posts and then refrained and deleted......

Considering they're supposed to be hate each other, and are diametrically opposed on most issues....
I've once had a very 'lively' debate at a certain modern abbattoir in Oldham that caters to both Tribes....
I consider myself a decent type of farmery bloke who's 'Greenishly tinged' rather than the Red blooded Agribusinessman you need to be nowadays to thrive up here...
However, being lectured by a Rabbi (or whatever he was) whilst the Beardy throat cutter from the other side of the Equation looked on, that the animals feel nowt but the 'bite' of a razor sharp knife and the soothing words of whatever jibberish the speak up there as they drift off into unconsciousness.....
Feckin Hmmm...
I insisted they shot Viva ( our old Stock Bull) in front of me, even if it was only a second beforehand, to them doing their stuff.....
The Spanish Vet couldn't understand what all the fuss was about, but seeing how I was holding the whole operation up, Viva got a cap.

"F't Jewish job"

Sorry for ranting.
I know there are many of you who have witnessed plenty of Man's inhumanity to Man, but as you can tell, a nerve's been well and truly hit....

@HT's forearm, either it really 'ain't arf hot darn sarf'. or he originates from one of those Dusky Tribes I've been banging on about and his pig pics are an elaborate 'come on'!
And while I'm at it....

They're the cleanest and most intelligent domestic animals on God's Green Earth....

Apologies once again.
EVERYTHING . . . all of what he said !!

Eta
'Skull' and

Feck.....
I've said it....

Feckin Hmmm...

"F't Jewish job"

Sorry for ranting.

And while I'm at it....

Apologies once again.
An excellent isn't enough for this post......

Eta
'Skull' and

Feck.....
I've said it....

Feckin Hmmm...

"F't Jewish job"

Sorry for ranting.

And while I'm at it....

Apologies once again.
A righteous and excellent post. As to my ethnicity I sport a spectacular 'Farmers Tan' at this time of year: face, forearms and neck brown/burnt/filthy, the rest like the front reflector on a pushbike.

Last edited: