The farming and smallholding thread

20200709_105526_compress2.jpg

In addition to the hay we made 27 bales of haylage (basically drier silage, or maybe damper hay). This was on some of the arable reversion land and the sheep drove/Stonehenge track.

View attachment 488321
In addition to the hay we made 27 bales of haylage (basically drier silage, or maybe damper hay). This was on some of the arable reversion land and the sheep drove/Stonehenge track.
Rub it in ,why dont you :p , one grass park is about 3+ feet high just about to go to seed and very dense , 10 acres and still looking for a contractor :confused:. Too good to send to the bio gas plant but it may come to that soon.

Oops

War Hero
Rub it in ,why dont you :p , one grass park is about 3+ feet high just about to go to seed and very dense , 10 acres and still looking for a contractor :confused:. Too good to send to the bio gas plant but it may come to that soon.
Don't worry, I was gonna add some sarky comment about
'The Sun shining on the Righteous'....
I thought it rained alot in Cumbria!
Out of all that we've baled, there was only one 4ac paddock that would've made hay.
That of @Ravers doesn't half look green. I'm more cowardly, it goes through the wrapper here, we've been a 'day short of hay' every time we've mown...
Red Injuns used to do rain dances, I just hook the tedder up!

View attachment 488321
Are they Quadrant bales ? or 120x90 and the camera has altered perspective ?

Any bales are going to be welcome......most around here are down on bale numbers ....maize looking stressed and most wheat and barley crops if planted showing stress now ....going to be a tight winter for food and bedding for many if we have a proper one .

My apologies, I didn't mean to come accross as smug Charlie Big Potatoes
Are they Quadrant bales ? or 120x90 and the camera has altered perspective ?

Any bales are going to be welcome......most around here are down on bale numbers ....maize looking stressed and most wheat and barley crops if planted showing stress now ....going to be a tight winter for food and bedding for many if we have a proper one .
120 x 90, the wrapping makes them look a bit different.
This year our contractor has asked to bale the Oil Seed Rape straw. This is a double win for us as we don't have to use the straw chopper on the combine (c. 40hp), and I don't have to top the stubble as we will cut it shorter. It may not be feasible as the combine might just beat it all to dust, but nothing ventured and all that.

My apologies, I didn't mean to come accross as smug Charlie Big Potat
This year our contractor has asked to bale the Oil Seed Rape straw. This is a double win for us as we don't have to use the straw chopper on the combine (c. 40hp), and I don't have to top the stubble as we will cut it shorter. It may not be feasible as our John Deere 670 might just beat it all to dust, but nothing ventured and all that.
Broad shoulders mate , no arms or legs , just broad shoulders ;)

Oops

War Hero
My apologies, I didn't mean to come accross as smug Charlie Big Potatoes
This year our contractor has asked to bale the Oil Seed Rape straw. This is a double win for us as we don't have to use the straw chopper on the combine (c. 40hp), and I don't have to top the stubble as we will cut it shorter. It may not be feasible as the combine might just beat it all to dust, but nothing ventured and all that.
*"Dust"*
Ha ha ha ha ha.he.he he he he..

I remember that once...
A neighbour, getting desperate has just tried to knock some grass down because there's a high pressure forecast for the weekend.....
He's down to his axle!

Straw will be worth as much as grain Oop North this time, however there'll be plenty bedded down on crap hay.

Spring barley (there's bugger all else cereal wise) looks ok from side on, look down though and it's one tiller per plant,and that's knee high at best!

*"Dust"*
Ha ha ha ha ha.he.he he he he..

I remember that once...
A neighbour, getting desperate has just tried to knock some grass down because there's a high pressure forecast for the weekend.....
He's down to his axle!

Straw will be worth as much as grain Oop North this time, however there'll be plenty bedded down on crap hay.

Spring barley (there's bugger all else cereal wise) looks ok from side on, look down though and it's one tiller per plant,and that's knee high at best!
The winter wheat here in southern Ontario is about 3 weeks ahead of schedule and some will start coming off this coming week. The weather has been hot and dry with with only 2 rains from June 1st , both torrential downpours that didn’t soak in. Field corn was over 1m high by 5 weeks and has now gone to tassel, supposedly we are getting 4 days of rain but I’ll believe it when l see it.
My wheat still has a week or two to go still, but so far no sign of fusaruim.

Saved by the cavalry....... the grass is being cut as I type, an old mannie on a Fergie 135 has rocked up and has made a start. Pray for weather now

Saved by the cavalry....... the grass is being cut as I type, an old mannie on a Ferwgie 135 has rocked up and has made a start. Pray for weather now
For the future you could do worse than cultivate ( swidt) the local vintage tractor club.
we sold our old ( but serviceable) Mc Cormack bailer to a man who wanted it to go with his period Major. Last time I saw it it looked like new.
im sure some of the old buggers would jump at the chance to relive their youth with a T20 and an acrobat on a sunny day. Or get the fordson and bailer out for a gallop.
i know I’d be tempted.

Old-Salt
Saved by the cavalry....... the grass is being cut as I type, an old mannie on a Fergie 135 has rocked up and has made a start. Pray for weather now
I can assure you that you will always have weather. Whether you like the weather you have is another thing entirely ;)

We have had days of intermittent rain and no chance to make hay. This is going to be a problem next winter.

load_fin

War Hero
I can assure you that you will always have weather. Whether you like the weather you have is another thing entirely ;)

We have had days of intermittent rain and no chance to make hay. This is going to be a problem next winter.
Same here. Some grass now lodged, and rotting underneath.

I cut the lawn for the first time in two weeks today. Hell, it was claggy. Spent more time unblocking the chute than cutting.

Whether the weather be fine
Or whether the weather be not,
Whether the weather be cold
Or whether the weather be hot,
We’ll weather the weather, whatever the weather,
Whether we like it or not.

Last edited:

Latest Threads