The farming and smallholding thread

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Maybe I am being thick.(It would not be the first time.)
If @Ravers does the design, would it not be hard to empty the embers/ash without contaminating the tub.
I would go removable/external burner or gas all the way.
The plan is to be able to remove the cylinder so you can just take it out and tip it up when you want to empty it.

It’ll obviously need something to hold it in place otherwise it’ll float away.

Oops

War Hero
The plan is to be able to remove the cylinder so you can just take it out and tip it up when you want to empty it.

AHH , so is this what's known as 'thread drift'?
Seriously, could you not incorporate a few inlet pipes (3/4 copper for ease) to draw air down and under your fire? It would surely help combustion and smoke suppression?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
AHH , so is this what's known as 'thread drift'?
Seriously, could you not incorporate a few inlet pipes (3/4 copper for ease) to draw air down and under your fire? It would surely help combustion and smoke suppression?
Certainly a possibility and something I’ve considered.

Only real downside to that is that it’ll be harder to empty, but then again nothing is beyond the realms of possibility when you’ve got a Henry Hoover.

Oops

War Hero
Certainly a possibility and something I’ve considered.

Only real downside to that is that it’ll be harder to empty, but then again nothing is beyond the realms of possibility when you’ve got a Henry Hoover.
I was thinking similar, but what about using him as a bellows?
Fire, water, 'lectric...
What could possibly go wrong!

@Ravers why not a sleeved system?

Couple of air compressor type joints in the bottom/top for the coil on metal flex to give just enough movement. Couple of 1/4 diameter draw pipes so 1/2 is still in contact with the water, whole thing slides in and out of a sleeve (when cool) and easy to empty.
The heat expansion of the inner cylinder will make a tight join to the sleeve, making heat transfer efficient.

Weld some handles on top to lift in and out and done.

sand_rat

Old-Salt
View attachment 486161

“Up a bit, left a bit, Ooooooo
So apart from you being a Bovine Chiropodist (which my spell checker tells me I cant spell), whats the 'fight the ban' sticker? also what the rural replacement for the Land Rover now its no longer in production?

Oops

War Hero
Shall we start a 'Farming is sh#t' thread?

Last cow to calve, buggerin about,last night but she knows what she's doing, had seven before, never seen one calve...let her get on with it....
Daughter not happy with her this morning, bit of a chase, into crush (cage) two feet and a swollen head correct presentation but the head only means one thing......
Tried a pull, I'm not up to it anymore, vet job...
Lots of pulling, sweating and scalpels...
( Calf's been dead inside for approx five days , pics not appropriate)
"Oh , while you're here, can you look at 'The Knob' we've stabilised his breathing but when he stands up he staggers around alot" (Bit like me!)
Stethoscope out...
"Wow, I've never heard one like this, shame we're not allowed to bring students out...
"It won't live much longer, it's pumping too much blood through its damaged ventricle, when it exerts itself standing up it runs short of oxygenated blood to the brain.."
"When you shoot it , give me a buzz, I'd like to see the extent of the defect"

Oh, and BTW the cow hasn't stood up yet, vets holding off jabbing her incase she needs to be shot in the morning...

It's not all fairytale endings!

Just all seems complicated...... didn't those nasty cannibal types sort it 100s of years ago ......feck off big cooking type pot and fire underneath .....jobs jobbed

So apart from you being a Bovine Chiropodist (which my spell checker tells me I cant spell), whats the 'fight the ban' sticker? also what the rural replacement for the Land Rover now its no longer in production?
I'm not the chiropodist, he is a professional foot trimmer, it isn't a job I would like to do, like being a farrier with less glamour and more shit.
The 'fight the ban' sticker is a relic from the run up to the hunting ban, and the Countryside Alliance marches in the early 2000's. Us yokels might come up to town for another bundle if the BLM lot carry on with their nonsense.
The LR replacement round here has for many years been a Jap pickup, or a Ford Ranger if you are tall enough to be able to get anything out of the back (I'm not).

Shall we start a 'Farming is sh#t' thread?

Last cow to calve, buggerin about,last night but she knows what she's doing, had seven before, never seen one calve...let her get on with it....
Daughter not happy with her this morning, bit of a chase, into crush (cage) two feet and a swollen head correct presentation but the head only means one thing......
Tried a pull, I'm not up to it anymore, vet job...
Lots of pulling, sweating and scalpels...
( Calf's been dead inside for approx five days , pics not appropriate)
"Oh , while you're here, can you look at 'The Knob' we've stabilised his breathing but when he stands up he staggers around alot" (Bit like me!)
Stethoscope out...
"Wow, I've never heard one like this, shame we're not allowed to bring students out...
"It won't live much longer, it's pumping too much blood through its damaged ventricle, when it exerts itself standing up it runs short of oxygenated blood to the brain.."
"When you shoot it , give me a buzz, I'd like to see the extent of the defect"

Oh, and BTW the cow hasn't stood up yet, vets holding off jabbing her incase she needs to be shot in the morning...

It's not all fairytale endings!
That is proper shit. My sympathies.

We got half the Oil Seed Rape sprayed with Roundup today, so in theory we can start combining in two weeks. It is sprayed to dessicate it so that is at an appropriate, and uniform, moisture content at harvest.
There is still some cleaning up to do, so one of today's jobs was hoovering out under the grain intake pit.
20200702_141008_compress18.jpg
20200702_135607_compress41.jpg
20200702_140615_compress31.jpg

anglo

LE
Last edited:

Latest Threads