The farming and smallholding thread

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I love the wellies!

Her legs don't seem to reach the pedals ...
It’s got a rear foot brake but all the other controls are on the handlebars so easy enough for her to drive.

No gears, or clutch it’s an auto.

I once caught an elderly woman stealing wheat at 5 in the morning, she was using pinking shears. Just walked up to her and asked what she was up to, turned out she was an old Dutch woman who missed living on a farm and having fresh wheat to bake with. She offered to pay me but I declined and cut some off for her with hedge clippers to fill her wee basket. It was at the headlands by the road and it wasn’t exactly an outstanding section of crop so l was happy to oblige.
You reported her to the police, denied owning any hedge clippers and she's now in prison right ?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
It’s got a rear foot brake but all the other controls are on the handlebars so easy enough for her to drive.

No gears, or clutch it’s an auto.
You and your modern technology!

Good on you for teaching her how to use it.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You and your modern technology!

Good on you for teaching her how to use it.
She’s been driving the Landy since she was 6.

Definitely a farm kid through and through.

Her brother isn’t really interested at all. Much more into computer games and geeking, no matter how much I try to drag him off them.
E8EDD796-77D6-48C7-A6E4-993B54A74BB3.jpeg

cymraeg

War Hero
Decided that an IBC simply wasn’t big enough and I fancied something a bit more permanent.

I’ve got two large steel oil tanks sat in the yard which are surplus to requirements since we installed biomass. They’re massive. Once tilted onto their sides, they’ll be about 6’ x 9’ and maybe 4’ deep. They even have drainage taps and what not installed in the correct position.

The plan is to get busy with the angle grinder, remove one side (which will then be the top once it’s tilted over) and clean them out properly.

I’ve got a copper hot water cylinder that already has a coil in it. So I’m going to cut the top off, submerge the cylinder in the tank and make a fire inside the cylinder itself. This should circulate and heat the water going through the coil, while also heating the water around the cylinder.

I’ll then clad the outside in pallet wood and maybe even tile the inside like a proper swimming pool.

Just need to borrow a tractor with some forks to get started as they’re really really heavy.

Excuse crude drawing but this is what I’m thinking.....View attachment 485355
Or keep the coil and fire Gubbins outside and add a feed and return pipe to the copper coils. It works by drawing in the cold water , heating it in the coil a d delivering the hot water back. No need for pumps or owt
e1113a7ae58a82bd00fea57cccaf11ec.jpg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Or keep the coil and fire Gubbins outside and add a feed and return pipe to the copper coils. It works by drawing in the cold water , heating it in the coil a d delivering the hot water back. No need for pumps or owtView attachment 485376
Yeah that’s basically the idea, but the coil and fire will be inside the tub.

Reasons being that the tub is massive so this will 1) displace water so there is less to heat and 2) the walls of the cylinder will heat the water as well.

It’s a double effect. I’m getting the water coming through the coil, but also getting the benefit of the the fire heating the water around it.

cymraeg

War Hero
Yeah that’s basically the idea, but the coil and fire will be inside the tub.

Reasons being that the tub is massive so this will 1) displace water so there is less to heat and 2) the walls of the cylinder will heat the water as well.

It’s a double effect. I’m getting the water coming through the coil, but also getting the benefit of the the fire heating the water around it.
Fair one

Many years ago between IT contracts I used to help my Dad repair Grain & Wheat Silos & Dryers in Hampshire, always just before harvest. Hot, dry, uncomfortable with low ceilings which you were guaranteed to bump your head on. A day in one of those cutting, grinding and riveting guaranteed a thirst.
A far cry from all the "Golden Harvest " articles that seem to appear in Lifestyle magazines in summer.

Oops

War Hero
OI! You lot!

Us big City types REALLY need more cheery open handed son of the soil stuff on here including Ravers adorable kids having a top childhood, various beasts looking cute, in depth tutorials on tractor parts and the price of rye, and landscapes out of adverts (wot no tower blocs?!) .

It keeps us battling the Commie race baiting hordes here in the big Smoke - soon to be really smokey with lots of yellow fire bits all over.

Get on to it you shelfish cnuts
Sorry it's a fortnight late, but when you were doing your bit at the Cenotaph, I for one didn't feel that 'cheery' with the information we were getting from your foreign land...

Anyway, we got your summer heatwave..
It lasted 3 days, one day short of reqd. haymaking window as usual, a silly o'clock finish, and chucking it down yesterday morning.
IMG_20200625_203909_9.jpg

A promise to the kids that I'd christen the pond/lake (dunno the difference) that we dug last year, had to be honoured.
Feck it was cold yesterday, but a promise is a promise (and I was outnumbered)
The kids finally got frozen out about 9.30...
I hadn't stayed in long...
It had started to rain, I'm not stupid..
I wasn't getting wet.
IMG_20200626_203002_9.jpg

cymraeg

War Hero
Unfortunately I drove through Tidworth on the way to pick these up, I should have just dropped the ramp opposite Lidl, thrown in a bottle of Bacardi and saved myself the journey to Tewkesbury.
I thought the customer liked leaner pork these days with somewhat less than the 32% fat you typically find in Tidworth.

cymraeg

War Hero
If you light a wood fire in a high sided container its not going to burn well as there is no draught. It will be a smoker rather than a burner.
As long as it has an opening for the wood to go in and a chimney it will draw. Copper coil sits in the fire part and due to the magic of convection it cycles the water and warms it up

cymraeg

War Hero
FAOQHIBF9AC3F36.LARGE.jpg

Unfortunately we no longer have the gear , I am looking at , getting it chopped for the biogas plant before it goes too far, progressively topping it down , still have that. been ringing round other farms to offer it for free, but so far every one busy.
Will keep trying.
Best of luck, this can be a cnut of a game at times.

Oops

War Hero
Many years ago between IT contracts I used to help my Dad repair Grain & Wheat Silos & Dryers in Hampshire, always just before harvest. Hot, dry, uncomfortable with low ceilings which you were guaranteed to bump your head on. A day in one of those cutting, grinding and riveting guaranteed a thirst.
Back in the 'mists of time' being an eager 15 yr old, I used to clean out the grain bins on next door neighbours cereal farm in exchange for a drive of their State of the art Combine Harvester .
However the absolute worst part was shovelling out the concrete pits, set into the yard that the huge auger filled the silo bins from....
Nobody ever bothered from the previous harvest, so bailing out approx 50 gal of 'liquor' on a sweltering hot airless day, from each of four pits, was certainly a formative experience...
I've only ever managed to hold a pint of Guinness twice in my life.
Once I even got it to within six inches of my mouth before that smell hit me.
There's nowt I can't deal with emanating from an animal, but that rancid stink of rotting grain....
Eta. for @grimbo
Laverda M152.
+18ft header, first in the country, had to be imported from France, Laverda said the UK didn't warrant such large kit!

Maybe I am being thick.(It would not be the first time.)
If @Ravers does the design, would it not be hard to empty the embers/ash without contaminating the tub.
I would go removable/external burner or gas all the way.

Latest Threads