The farming and smallholding thread

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Oops

War Hero
You are very much a person after my own heart. I grassed two of them up yesterday to the cops. They were cruising around they area checking out the farm sheds. We have a lot of agri engineering lads at the farm here at the moment (self employed lads) whose tools and kit are locked in a shipping container but they’ll get in if we don’t keep an eye out. I’m renting one of the cottages from the farmer while I find a plot to build so I keep an eye out for him along with the other neighbours. To be fair the cops they take it seriously and do what they can.
There's a video online from a couple of years ago of the B*stards cutting through the side of a shipping container on a farm to get at his tools. ..
Replaced the lot,parked trailers tight down side/ rear etc.
The buggers came through the roof next.

One stormy night at mates place, they pulled all the box profile sheets off the back of his new shed to get at his tools/ kids quads etc....
Nicked his cattle trailer to to have em away across his fields..
Got it stuck coming back for a second load, cheeky twunts.
Plod (weren't interested as usual) reckoned they'd waited till windy, slipped a kid inside to trip alarm and hide while dogs kicked off on yard...mate &son went out twice to find nowt amiss...
"Oh it's the bloody wind"
Turn alarm off, kick the dog and went to bed!
Plods advice..
"Don't replace anything for at least six months, they'll be back again now they know what you have got"

( I wonder if they' 'took a knee' whilst saying it)

That time of year again. Hay making, done by contractors, hopefully baled before Friday, and cleaning out the grain sheds and drier, unfortunately done by me.
20200624_141414_compress4.jpg
20200622_145738_compress62.jpg

My view cultivating the sweet corn this morning, l wish it had been drier but with the weather being what it is this year, l can’t keep up with the weeds so have to do it a minimum of once a week.

20200626_081433_compress70.jpg

Hay made and in the barn, 67 big bales off 10 acres. We will keep what we want and the contractor will have the rest as payment.
20200626_160644_compress70.jpg

Picked up these 3 Gloucester Old Spot weaners today, so that's 6 in total.

View attachment 485152
Hay made and in the barn, 67 big bales off 10 acres. We will keep what we want and the contractor will have the rest as payment. View attachment 485153
Picked up these 3 Gloucester Old Spot weaners today, so that's 6 in total.
Nice looking hay.
We have 10 acres to be cut but the contractor has gone AWOL, cant find anyone else and its just perfect now .
Making contingency plans...........:sad:

I do enjoy seeing people legging it from a field of maize with their arms full thinking they've got free sweetcorn until Christmas.
I once caught an elderly woman stealing wheat at 5 in the morning, she was using pinking shears. Just walked up to her and asked what she was up to, turned out she was an old Dutch woman who missed living on a farm and having fresh wheat to bake with. She offered to pay me but I declined and cut some off for her with hedge clippers to fill her wee basket. It was at the headlands by the road and it wasn’t exactly an outstanding section of crop so l was happy to oblige.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Did you do anything about your woodland jacuzzi? I was curious how you would heat the water?
Decided that an IBC simply wasn’t big enough and I fancied something a bit more permanent.

I’ve got two large steel oil tanks sat in the yard which are surplus to requirements since we installed biomass. They’re massive. Once tilted onto their sides, they’ll be about 6’ x 9’ and maybe 4’ deep. They even have drainage taps and what not installed in the correct position.

The plan is to get busy with the angle grinder, remove one side (which will then be the top once it’s tilted over) and clean them out properly.

I’ve got a copper hot water cylinder that already has a coil in it. So I’m going to cut the top off, submerge the cylinder in the tank and make a fire inside the cylinder itself. This should circulate and heat the water going through the coil, while also heating the water around the cylinder.

I’ll then clad the outside in pallet wood and maybe even tile the inside like a proper swimming pool.

Just need to borrow a tractor with some forks to get started as they’re really really heavy.

Excuse crude drawing but this is what I’m thinking.....
0B20F398-6872-4D80-AD0E-BEFBA666FE79.jpeg

Decided that an IBC simply wasn’t big enough and I fancied something a bit more permanent.

I’ve got two large steel oil tanks sat in the yard which are surplus to requirements since we installed biomass. They’re massive. Once tilted onto their sides, they’ll be about 6’ x 9’ and maybe 4’ deep. They even have drainage taps and what not installed in the correct position.

The plan is to get busy with the angle grinder, remove one side (which will then be the top once it’s tilted over) and clean them out properly.

I’ve got a copper hot water cylinder that already has a coil in it. So I’m going to cut the top off, submerge the cylinder in the tank and make a fire inside the cylinder itself. This should circulate and heat the water going through the coil, while also heating the water around the cylinder.

I’ll then clad the outside in pallet wood and maybe even tile the inside like a proper swimming pool.

Just need to borrow a tractor with some forks to get started as they’re really really heavy.

Excuse crude drawing but this is what I’m thinking.....View attachment 485355
You could knock up some moonshine an' all.

philc

LE
That time of year again. Hay making, done by contractors, hopefully baled before Friday, and cleaning out the grain sheds and drier, unfortunately done by me.View attachment 484642View attachment 484643
Many years ago between IT contracts I used to help my Dad repair Grain & Wheat Silos & Dryers in Hampshire, always just before harvest. Hot, dry, uncomfortable with low ceilings which you were guaranteed to bump your head on. A day in one of those cutting, grinding and riveting guaranteed a thirst.

Cleaning it before you cut it would probably be a necessity , sounds a good plan anyway .

A take off on the top and bottom will allow the water to circulate around and stay warm .

Can you make haylage if your bloke doesn't reappear in time ?
Unfortunately we no longer have the gear , I am looking at , getting it chopped for the biogas plant before it goes too far, progressively topping it down , still have that. been ringing round other farms to offer it for free, but so far every one busy.
Will keep trying.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Cleaning it before you cut it would probably be a necessity , sounds a good plan anyway .

A take off on the top and bottom will allow the water to circulate around and stay warm .
Yep, I have visions of cutting into it and a spark making the whole thing explode.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads