The farming and smallholding thread

Here's my helping hand which is a 1988 Case IH 956XL.
I spent many an hour driving 1056's fitted with a very similar weight frame extension ....also useful for pushing your mate uphill in his 956 towing a Drott on a plant trailer....
956 , 1056 and 12 and 1455's probably the best most reliable 80's early 90's tractors ........on average only lost 5 hp between engine and PTO shaft .......most modern tractors 15 hp plus is not uncommon ....air con takes 3-5 hp to drive , that big cooling fan on the front of the engine can sap 10-15 hp so if the maker is quoting his tractor at 130hp at the engine then often it has less than 100 hp to do the work with before you look at gearbox losses !
A 1455 was 140hp at the PTO ......the equivalent Deere needed nearly 180hp to get the same 140hp at the PTO

That's just what people have told me about the HP between engine & PTO compared with modern tractors.
My Dad had a 956XL & 1056XL Turbo both were red & whites so the 'real IH' ones as he liked to say.
My brother cut his agricultural engineering teeth on the one like I now have red & blacks as he calls them.
The one I have is about 90% original, virtually no rot anywhere and is now on light duties.
Nice to read your memories of them.

Further to Ravers post #839, this is what you need. View attachment 479056
When the Aberdeen Western Peripheral route was being constructed the fencing boys had a couple along with the mini digger auger they could drink tea,smoke a tab , strainer ,post and net a ten acre park in the morning and be away back to the site . No messing about, allegedly.

That's just what people have told me about the HP between engine & PTO compared with modern tractors.
My Dad had a 956XL & 1056XL Turbo both were red & whites so the 'real IH' ones as he liked to say.
My brother cut his agricultural engineering teeth on the one like I now have red & blacks as he calls them.
The one I have is about 90% original, virtually no rot anywhere and is now on light duties.
Nice to read your memories of them.
Very nice ......Case IH at the end of the 56 series resorted to down specifying them by putting a crap seat in the cab and various other deletions because they were still outselling the then new Maxxum .......hopefully yours has the Grammer seat and CaseIH badges on the interior cab pillars .

Agree with your brother the last of the red & whites were the best with "senso draulics" but still the side drive front axle and hard nose

My first International was a Timmerman cabbed 1055 with the "ski stick" gear leavers...... ploughed 1200 acres one season with her and a 5 furrow DP 7 Dowdswell plough

I reckon I've got 25 thousand hrs on 1055/1056 in pilots speak and 14 thousand on Magnum .

Very nice ......Case IH at the end of the 56 series resorted to down specifying them by putting a crap seat in the cab and various other deletions because they were still outselling the then new Maxxum .......hopefully yours has the Grammer seat and CaseIH badges on the interior cab pillars .

Agree with your brother the last of the red & whites were the best with "senso draulics" but still the side drive front axle and hard nose

My first International was a Timmerman cabbed 1055 with the "ski stick" gear leavers...... ploughed 1200 acres one season with her and a 5 furrow DP 7 Dowdswell plough

I reckon I've got 25 thousand hrs on 1055/1056 in pilots speak and 14 thousand on Magnum .

It's got the CaseIH badges on the interior cab pillars but the original Grammer seat has been replaced....but not by myself.

philc

LE
B####cks. I was taking an IBC (Intermediate Bulk Container, 1,000 l capacity) full of water into the new pig patch when a hole jumped out and tipped it off the JCB. Tomorrow's another day. View attachment 478794

I used to have two of these, would fill them up with water from the well over the year to water the veg patch. When I got them I was told never fill them during winter as they would split. Seemed odd, I was living in Northern Italy, so first year kept the water level about 70% during winter and they both froze in to solid lumps of Ice, expanding and stayed like it for several months, when it was cold it was down to minus 20 at night in wind etc.

I was very tempted to get a cheap broken third one to try my hand at ice sculpting.

load_fin

War Hero
I was just curious because mine is about 20 years old with very few issues except for changing seals and o-rings over the years as drips appear, but I see what you mean by yours being worn out. Glyphosate and 2,4-D is what I run in mine but have been almost ocd about about rinsing it with water and tank flush even if it’s just going to sit a few days between uses. All my experience on mounted and towed sprayers has been with Hardi’s so can’t give a recommendation, but if you decide to move up to a self propelled, I highly recommend an Apache, better than what CaseNH and JD put out easily.

How is the weed situation this year in your region?
Found out something interesting about my sprayer - it's not actually a Hardi.

I assumed that the big sticker saying "Evers and Wall" was the supplying dealer, but they were actually the manufacturer, taken over by Hardi in about 1983, who continued with the range under their own name for some time.

That makes it the thick end of 40 years old. Time to go; it's not fit for precision farming now.

New Tad Len unit arriving this week. Everything growing again; should be dry from midweek, so straight to work.

Oops

War Hero
Times have changed @grimbo
@HT's the 'proper' 'un...

Dragged the baler out in a rush last Tuesday morning ( told you I'd make it rain, didn't I?) thought it strange the hyd pressure was still in the system.....

Opened door to grease up (steady, it's the annual one) and half a bale of mancy wheat straw's still stuck in from last September...
Nobody admitted to using it last(I've a cast iron alibi). When the rats started their evacuation I feared we were in serious trouble...Rodents and rust don't exactly feature highly amongst Herr Krone's handbooks' Computer and Sensor settings pages...
Anyway, shouted at kids,dog and anything else that abetted roland's E and E tactics, and sent em off, with the(expensive) mechanic on speedial standby....
It's never missed a beat, we've finished tonight, too hectic for arty pics, but suffice to say in two weeks, we've not managed to make one single bale of hay.
( We've some bloody grand haylage though)
It takes a special kind of skill to break a drought,
I manage to do it every time they mention 'hosepipe ban'.. I just put the mower on and think about making some hay for a change!
IMG_20200602_153232_0.jpg
IMG_20200607_140825_2.jpg

Bloody jackdaws have done us more damage this year though than the previous decade combined,good job I've got a good patching team thanks to lockdown.

You mean you didn't park it in the barn broken and are then surprised it hasn't fixed itself when you start it 10 mins before you want to use it ????

You're not a proper Farmer are you ...;-) ;-) ;-)
Oh I don't know. A sparky disappeared with half the control panel for the drier at Easter and nobody has seen hide nor hair of him since. There is a full load each of wheat and barley in the shed that noone will take as the mills can't fathom social distancing, so the store can't be cleaned. Oh, and my sole employee has just announced he is having a knee replacement in the first week of July.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads