The farming and smallholding thread

What I was always led to believe.... process to oil, subsidy, then process to cattle feed, another subsidy.

There again I think I read it in the Daily Mail.......

Still filthy stinking shit though......
Fair dos, if there was a double sub you can bet your life I would be claiming it.
I am sorry that it causes you such distress, I really think that in terms of smell it has improved massively in the last twenty years. As to pollen causing hayfever, the pollen is what makes it such an important early food source for bees. You will be glad to learn that the UK area of rape has fallen by 15%, and is set to fall further, since the EU banned the seed treatment that made it a viable crop. To make up the 500,000 ton shortfall in domestic rape in 2019 the UK is importing it from Ukraine who still use the seed treatment banned here. Personally, we have always grown 160 acres of Oil Seed Rape a year, but from now on it will be more like 50.

Last edited:
again googling, low £300's a ton ?
That load from this morning was sold at £340/ton last year. From the latest Farmers Weekly, in June a ton of rape will cost you £314.
A yield of 1.25t/acre at £350/ton gives me a gross margin per acre of £214. However, last years yield was closer to 0.75t/acre and not a lot of £350/ton was seen. Frankly, it is too expensive a crop to grow now with the likelihood that it will be decimated by Cabbage Stem Flea Beetle, against which we now have no defence, (see post #842).

That load from this morning was sold at £340/ton last year. From the latest Farmers Weekly, in June a ton of rape will cost you £314.
A yield of 1.25t/acre at £350/ton gives me a gross margin per acre of £214. However, last years yield was closer to 0.75t/acre and not a lot of £350/ton was seen. Frankly, it is too expensive a crop to grow now with the likelihood that it will be decimated by Cabbage Stem Flea Beetle, against which we now have no defence, (see post #842).
get yourself an old transit & a couples of dags go out metal collecting

copper pipes stolen from void housing found in a skip is £2800 a ton

get yourself an old transit & a couples of dags go out metal collecting

copper pipes stolen from void housing found in a skip is £2800 a ton
There were some people in an old Subaru Forester out exercising their dags all over a field of spring barley last week. If I see them again I will make certain to avail myself of their commodity broking expertise.

vinniethemanxcat

On ROPS
On ROPs

Bastard flea beetles..... don't know why I plant a few cabbages every year.

Thinking of planting some very late for next spring.....

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bit of a shitty time with the goats of late.

Seems like we’re losing one a day. Fuckers just drop down dead. Just had to shoot a healthy one because it’d broken its leg trying to jump a fence.

Stupid fuckers.

Seems like we’re losing one a day. ******* just drop down dead. Just had to shoot a healthy one because it’d broken its leg trying to jump a fence.

Stupid *******.
With the amount of poultry and livestock being killed off this side of the pond, you’re having a relatively easy go of it.

Seems like we’re losing one a day. ******* just drop down dead. Just had to shoot a healthy one because it’d broken its leg trying to jump a fence.

Stupid *******.
It's horrible losing animals, all the more so when some bright spark offers up "If you have livestock you will have deadstock" , thanks for that Confucius.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Fucks sake, another dead’n this morning.

This little Boer was born funny, blind in one eye and really small. He never grew but the kids took a shine to him and he was their favourite.

We’ve been bottle feeding him everyday for the past 8 weeks.

The kids are devastated but it’s probably for the best. We haven’t really got space for pet goats that serve no purpose. We definitely weren’t gonna breed off him and he was too small to eat.

The dead pile grows. Hopefully the knacker man can get out today otherwise things might get a bit smelly with this weather.

Oops

War Hero
Bugger, it's orrible when you get to dread going round your stock first thing in a morning, knowing your gonna find another bad news story.
Are the Nanny's innoculated with
Heptavac or Orivac pre kidding?
Clostridium disease (Pulpy kidney) cant half kill em quick after they've 'got going' I'm guessing the Nanny's are treated similar to your sheep flock, they'll just show owt sub clinical that's lurking (everything is) cos of being housed round an about the yard permanently.

Sorry, that's enough of me telling you how to suck eggs, I'm sure your Vet will come up with an accurate diagnosis and solution, the harsh realities of the economics of that conundrum will send even this site's gnarled and grizzled readership into apoplexy if it's taken any further, I fear!

Polyester

Old-Salt
Bugger, it's orrible when you get to dread going round your stock first thing in a morning, knowing your gonna find another bad news story.
Are the Nanny's innoculated with
Heptavac or Orivac pre kidding?
Clostridium disease (Pulpy kidney) cant half kill em quick after they've 'got going' I'm guessing the Nanny's are treated similar to your sheep flock, they'll just show owt sub clinical that's lurking (everything is) cos of being housed round an about the yard permanently.

Sorry, that's enough of me telling you how to suck eggs, I'm sure your Vet will come up with an accurate diagnosis and solution, the harsh realities of the economics of that conundrum will send even this site's gnarled and grizzled readership into apoplexy if it's taken any further, I fear!
Not at all. One of the best threads on the site with you guys on it. Sorry to hear about your lambs @Ravers. It’s totally shite losing animals.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Things I never thought I’d have to do......

Have a funeral for a goat.

318D7358-C248-4A68-95A0-37AF63323183.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bit dusty in here...

...pass the chutney.
The one I had to shoot yesterday would’ve been delicious but it was dosed up with Metacam so not fit for human consumption.

Oops

War Hero
I think I might have given that to my dogs a while back.
Wonderful stuff.
The pain relief it brought to the Farmyard was revolutionary.
That is until you drop a 250ml bottle, opening the 'wrong end' of the box it's in...
T'was years ago now, and it STILL feckin hurts
It started off at around £2/ml Istr,
It was nigh on a four hundred quid puddle!

It's well under half that nowadays, we don't give many jabs without the accompanying dose of Meta, I remember reading at its launch studies showed the efficacy of most meds improved greatly when accompanied by its relieving properties, there was one called Finodyne but as soon as Metacam appeared all Vets jumped on board....

Latest Threads