The farming and smallholding thread

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Have you still got the Patterdale?
Yeah we’ve got two plus the mother in law’s Jack Russell who we inherited last year.

It’s fucking chaos.

The Patterdales can’t be trusted on family picnics. We’d never see the fuckers again.

Beginning to get a tad concerned about the absence of any "meaningful" rain as my pasture is showing signs of drought stress.
OK, there is time enough (just) for a bounce back in grass growth if we get a few good soakings in the next 3 weeks or so but if not I'm going to have the same problems I had a couple of years ago as regards haylage for the coming Winter.

Bummer

Beginning to get a tad concerned about the absence of any "meaningful" rain as my pasture is showing signs of drought stress.
OK, there is time enough (just) for a bounce back in grass growth if we get a few good soakings in the next 3 weeks or so but if not I'm going to have the same problems I had a couple of years ago as regards haylage for the coming Winter.

Bummer
It isn't quite squeaky bum time on the arable side - yet. We really could do with some rain soon though to get adequate grain fill. No doubt there will be absolutely sod all until we drive the combine into the rape, whereupon the heavens will open. On the grassland, the 25 acre paddock I shut up for the cattle post calving has got away from me so the sheep have been put in to give it a check.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We’ve had just enough rain for things to be ok.

It’s Cumbria after all.

Oops

War Hero

Bummer
Snap,
We've had 3 mm since march 17th....
It always rains here!

There have been alot of very long faces after the wind last few days....
Acres and acres of carrots have blown away or been sand blasted off......

The Peatland boys are dicing with danger already, the Environmental lobby has got them in their sights re. Carbon capture....
A few hundred years worth has ended up in the Irish sea this weekend.

I'm already compiling a 'Hit List' of cows that are of the contingency plan as it were, another month and they'll be down to soil and down the road.
Our sandy soils need a good night's rain a week to grow plenty, I was looking at @Ravers pics with envy...
Not the picnic in beautiful tranquility....
The green stuff ankle deep....
I was going to comment about The Missus wearing wellies on a picnic in a drought, but then thought you might've been lucky with the precipitate.
I've resisted putting the mower on yet....
Next weekend, if there's nowt on the forecast, I'll rattle the Sun God's cage!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We’d completely given up with the Ryelands. They were supposed to start lambing about 6 weeks ago and nothing happened.

It had sort of occurred to me that all the sheep spent the winter together in the same field, including both tups. But the Ryelands are so fluffy you can’t really tell if they’re pregnant or not.

Obviously our Herdwick must’ve got amongst the Ryelands and done the business.

These two popped out this morning.

Ryewicks or Herdlands?

88FA6321-83A3-4D2D-A6AB-F381045E1514.jpeg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
We’d completely given up with the Ryelands. They were supposed to start lambing about 6 weeks ago and nothing happened.

It had sort of occurred to me that all the sheep spent the winter together in the same field, including both tups. But the Ryelands are so fluffy you can’t really tell if they’re pregnant or not.

Obviously our Herdwick must’ve got amongst the Ryelands and done the business.

These two popped out this morning.

Ryewicks or Herdlands?

View attachment 476971
Dinner!!!

I was looking into the idea of buying some rural land and going self sufficient on a small holding / micro farm but I never found any way it could be done with planning permission, as far as I can tell there is no way to " farm " in a small way in the UK unless you are setting up a serious business .
PP not required.You will need a County Parish Holding (CPH) number.

What do they do with OSR ? Do they extract the oil and use whats left as feed or do they just use the lot as feed ?

What do they do with OSR ? Do they extract the oil and use whats left as feed or do they just use the lot as feed ?
I'm not altogether sure to be completely honest. It goes to a company called Faccenda as a component of chicken feed. I would think it gets mashed up and then blended with the other ingredients.

vinniethemanxcat

On ROPS
On ROPs
If we get out of Europe, I hope they'll stop the double subsidy on this filthy shite, which causes me, amongst many others, yearly hay- fever, plus that sickly stench.

vinniethemanxcat

On ROPS
On ROPs
What I was always led to believe.... process to oil, subsidy, then process to cattle feed, another subsidy.

There again I think I read it in the Daily Mail.......

Still filthy stinking shit though......