The farming and smallholding thread

We have a few of these.

Ours have all corroded along the bottom edge where they’ve been sat in water and mud.

If you can be arsed chuck a bit of hammerite around the edges.
Thanks for that, it hasn't been an issue with the bodged up pallet shelters as they just got burned each bonfire night.

I was looking into the idea of buying some rural land and going self sufficient on a small holding / micro farm but I never found any way it could be done with planning permission, as far as I can tell there is no way to " farm " in a small way in the UK unless you are setting up a serious business .
AIUI for stables, sheds and so on if it doesn't have a concrete base then you don't need planning permission. As for shelter for you I think you can park a caravan (the big lodge type ones) without PP, so as to be able to look after your stock. Having thus demonstrated the need for a dwelling bung in an application.
Getting a holding number and herd number is easy as emailing the council.

Imago

Old-Salt
If you can be arsed chuck a bit of hammerite around the edges.
Not specifically to do with farming – but is there anything better than Hammerite? Or maybe it has improved? About 25 years ago we painstakingly stripped every scrap of paint off the wriggly tin garage (big enough for a very old Mini and only ever been used for storage) that came with the house. Used the proper Hammerite undercoat – expensive – chose perfect weather conditions etc. Fûcking stuff lasted about two years and just started peeling off. Ended up stripping that off in its turn – replaced by Dulux Weathershield which is still holding out.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Cor, that could do you a mischief, bet you were in and out of there PDQ
Fucking right I was. He’s the size of a cow and his bottom teeth are about 6 inches long.

Polyester

Old-Salt
Not specifically to do with farming – but is there anything better than Hammerite? Or maybe it has improved? About 25 years ago we painstakingly stripped every scrap of paint off the wriggly tin garage (big enough for a very old Mini and only ever been used for storage) that came with the house. Used the proper Hammerite undercoat – expensive – chose perfect weather conditions etc. Fûcking stuff lasted about two years and just started peeling off. Ended up stripping that off in its turn – replaced by Dulux Weathershield which is still holding out.
A pal of mine used the bitumin paint you get from b and q around his corrugated shed base And it’s held up really well.

Galvafroid.

Polyester

Old-Salt
As I understand it crofting comes with restrictions like leases and they are mostly rough grazing for livestock plus a pile of rubble that was once a farm hoose .
Yes, That’s most likely true. I don’t think there is much to be done anywhere in the UK without some form of interference or administrative burden. I reckon humble tiller is right about concrete bases etc/ non permanent buildings etc. I’d love a small holding. I’d keep bees and all sorts of stuff.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was looking into the idea of buying some rural land and going self sufficient on a small holding / micro farm but I never found any way it could be done with planning permission, as far as I can tell there is no way to " farm " in a small way in the UK unless you are setting up a serious business .
It’s doable.

Buy land, live in a portacabin or caravan for the required amount of days per year (most local authorities impose a limit on how many days you can stay there).

Get a holding number. Stick some sheep on the land. Voila, you are now officially a farm.

After 3 years you can apply to build a farm workers dwelling.

I`ve got a four bedroom farm house with over 3 acres of land for sale for the price of a 2 bed bungalow, interested ? ,its in Spain.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Also from what I understand the rules are considerably more relaxed in Northern Ireland.

In all seriousness, I reckon if you just bought a few acres in a rural area and stuck a shed on there, no one would bat an eyelid. Or better still, buy a place that already has a barn in place.

As mentioned previously on this thread, I’ve got a gypsy living in a bow top caravan in one of my fields. No one gives a shit.

Last edited:

philc

LE
That must be a pig, no pun intended, to clean out.

Back in the 60's, as a schoolboy, I had a weekend job on a nearby farm mucking out the pigs.

I lasted a few weeks then jacked it in, such an awful job, the pigs were kept in brick enclosures and fed on swill from the local schools etc., which as well as smelly swill also contained lots of crap like sharp tins and tin lids that had to be hoofed out.

The pigs spent their days ankle deep in shit which I had to shovel out.

Thankfully things have changed since then.
On a farming military theme, when I was on buffers party at HMS Collingwood they had a pig farm, think they got all the scraps from all the surrounding establishments. If you got on the wrong side of the Chief Buffer thats where you went for the week.

It was just as you described, the worst smell being pigs piss, just super rank smell.

Oddly the best job was on the Collingwood bin lorry, going round emptying all the gash, over a few months it became decorated with all the bits found in the bins from the Wrens block, sussies & knickers but after a while the order came down to keep it clean. Shame.

I know it's been posted elsewhere but it deserves a place on this thread

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There are worse places to be in lockdown.

Cheeky picnic supper in’t top field.
96DFA985-1953-45E4-860B-E7FB46FB9C21.jpeg
018FE389-D4FF-44C3-8776-2A17738F129E.jpeg
D52C6B4C-DA77-4380-96A1-90005523C0DF.jpeg
C0280B21-C714-4A10-BA5C-EDAA3A8F6C91.jpeg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads