The farming and smallholding thread

Oops

War Hero
Face book is full of outraged bellends saying farmers should take on prisoners/doleys etc to pick fruit/veg , utter stupidity , theyve clearly never risen above the rank of labourer themselves ,WTF would a farmer want a bus load of paedos/murderers/terrorists and fat lazy cnuts turning up at their farm for training / work ?
Thinking about it.
There's a thread going about the lack of pheasant shooting the coming season....
Release em in small packs of half a dozen a time...
Reduces the burden on the Public Purse in these straightened times...
Win-win.
(Bagsy some Beardy Rapey ones to get my eye in!)

We've started bulk dumping milk and eggs here in Ontario. Since the restaurants are closed down the system is overloaded and not enough storage. All the food banks have been topped up with donations and the time has come to start dealing with the over production. I must admit it was a tad depressing watching two tanker trucks dumping their loads into a slurry lagoon.

Last edited:

Oops

War Hero
Beef job is falling fast here, no hindquarter being eaten, spag bol and chilli is the limit of domestic culinary skills apparently.
Steaks and joints...
Restaurants being the big outlets.
Sheep meat trade is collapsing, no export trade.
Idve thought Dairy/ Eggs will chug along unaffected this side of the Pond.

Watching perfectly good produce being dumped is soul destroying, animal or vegetable.
Does most of your stuff travel a long distance to its end consumers?

From my area to the Toronto food terminal is about 4 hrs, that's the hub for southern Ontario. All the local towns are fully stocked with meat and dairy so nowhere close to send excess that can store it. As of Wednesday, the meat processing facilities had a 4 month back log. Our spent laying hens ended up getting gassed and incinerated, nowhere could process them.

It's not terribly inspiring for the future.

The 'ripples' will travel an awfully long way out, I fear.
The idea is to cut back production to what can be used by the regular home consumer which means culls taking place in the near future. Once that starts it will be a long road back to supply restaurants again. It boils down to why pay for feed and not generate any income, would lead to some going bankrupt.

Oops

War Hero
Globalisation has peaked maybe?
We're apparently less than 50% self sufficient on our little overcrowded island.
Yet the 'stable' thing to do is to take the 'safe' Environmental money and grow Butterflies .....

Dunno whether this unpleasantness'll change anything, Society was needing a reset button, people that thought they were 'key' don't quite seem to be as important as those manning a checkout till for example, nevermind those who can actually turn sunlight into food!

There again , in a years time, it'll probably be consumers chucking out food again, cos it's a day out of sell by date.

holyphuc

Old-Salt
There is going to be a lot of those conversations going on this year. He still shouldn't have been out there mind.
Large 4wd tractors are probably the worst invention, It just allowed us to pull ploughs 10" deep in conditions that should never have been worked. Old horse drawn ploughs were working at depths that are now considered min till.

Globalisation has peaked maybe?
We're apparently less than 50% self sufficient on our little overcrowded island.
Yet the 'stable' thing to do is to take the 'safe' Environmental money and grow Butterflies .....

Dunno whether this unpleasantness'll change anything, Society was needing a reset button, people that thought they were 'key' don't quite seem to be as important as those manning a checkout till for example, nevermind those who can actually turn sunlight into food!

There again , in a years time, it'll probably be consumers chucking out food again, cos it's a day out of sell by date.
Globalization has now proven in some regards to be a failure at least on the agricultural side. In the future I think we will see countries growing whatever they can produce themselves and stop imports of cheaper foods even if it means a higher shelf cost. The main exceptions will be things like cane suger, cocoa, coffe etc that only grow in certain regions of the world.

All the environmental/save the planet shité has disappeared over here, no more adverts, not a peep. All the things 3 months ago the government was saying were bad they are now saying are good, petroleum for plastics, disposable cups, plastic straws, etc, even recycling is going to the landfills because nobody wants to risk sorting it.

But with all the disruptions happening and Trudeau dolling out money to keep people afloat, the cùnt still raised the carbon tax on April 1st. Farmers are still taking a punishing, politics never seem to end no matter the situation.....

Last edited:
Globalization has now proven in some regards to be a failure at least on the agricultural side. In the future I think we will see countries growing whatever they can produce themselves and stop imports of cheaper foods even if it means a higher shelf cost. The main exceptions will be things like cane suger, cocoa, coffe etc that only grow in certain regions of the world.

All the environmental/save the planet shité has disappeared over here, no more adverts, not a peep. All the things 3 months ago the government was saying were bad they are now saying are good, petroleum for plastics, disposable cups, plastic straws, etc, even recycling is going to the landfills because nobody wants to risk sorting it.

But with all the disruptions happening and Trudeau dolling out money to keep people afloat, the cùnt still raised the carbon tax on April 1st. Farmers are still taking a punishing, politics never seem to end no matter the situation.....
If you’re suggesting bureaucrats pay farmers to grow food for ideological or nationalistic reasons and maybe store excesses in mountains, I’ve got a bad feeling.

Chalkythedog

Old-Salt
Thinking about it.
There's a thread going about the lack of pheasant shooting the coming season....
Release em in small packs of half a dozen a time...
Reduces the burden on the Public Purse in these straightened times...
Win-win.
(Bagsy some Beardy Rapey ones to get my eye in!)
You might get your wish. They've started emptying the jails and releasing migrants from detention centres. We are truly doomed.

Oops

War Hero
Well this is a turnup for the books...
Mums a homebred purebred (Limousin) at least 3 generations are here too, as well as three sisters.
Dad's also a purebred pedigree, has sired three years worth of calves, all as expected...
IMG-20200404-WA0008.jpeg

N*gger in the woodpile?

Oops

War Hero
If you’re suggesting bureaucrats pay farmers to grow food for ideological or nationalistic reasons and maybe store excesses in mountains, I’ve got a bad feeling.
Whilst I totally agree with your sentiments, to quote my old fella
" If you've not got too much, you've not got enough"

Our current predicament regarding ventilators/ppe/ testing kits as examples off the top of my head, demonstrate his theory.

Food is also quite important, so it seems.

50 inch tellys, Flash cars and Cruises maybe not so.

'Just in time ordering' doesn't work with Mother Nature,
She does things at her pace, our job is to work with her, I'm already producing fodder for this time next year....
Is that excessive?

It's a bloody difficult situation, but one years worth of strategic commodities stored should be SOP for any Govt, medicines too.
Where it gets silly is throwing dead fish back into the sea cos they're 'up to quota' for example....
That's simply obsene and morally repugnant.

What's the answer?
Can you put up with feeling bad , but with a full stomach?
I can,
It beats feeling good, but hungry...
but I suppose I wouldn't feel terribly good then anyway.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Goat kids still coming thick and fast. A set of triplets and a set of twins born in the last hour.

I reckon we must have over 400 goats on the farm now.

Herdwick and Ryeland sheep due to start lambing next week.

Cows are happy in the field.

Pigs enjoying the sun.
21E8408D-8026-42EE-922F-394686591E35.jpeg
6DDF56F0-81B5-4C72-A39E-E7CBECF36FF1.jpeg
B8893C7F-024C-4364-9185-3AD12CD1222A.jpeg

Life is good.

ugly

LE
The ground here is drying nicely, I was able to deliver feed using my Isuzu which is normally not possible! The contractor has been busy drilling for I assume barley for the brewery

If anyone wants to help out local farming, try a farm shop instead of a packed supermarket full of corona infected and paranoid cunts. Friday afternoon I stopped off at one on the slopes of Leith Hill, and picked up half a dozen bloody beautiful tasting eggs (been fucking ages since they were in the supermarkets), a jar of good local honey and some chicken breasts (again, bloody beautiful)

While I agree we should all help farmers, and buy local etc, I am ignorant about how easy it is for farmers to get the public on to their land to help out/understand where food comes from? How many farmers on here have reached out to their local school?

In no way meant to be disparaging. Just wondering how each side is trying to reach out to the other

Latest Threads