The farming and smallholding thread

Oops

Old-Salt
Every single one of them .......and especially any of the 2 daughters townie boyfriends.

Another good combat indicator was if they had friends round.......pile of shoes and boots outside the back door meant they were country types ......townie friends would still be wearing shoes in the sitting room .

It's started round here ....townies wandering all over the place cause the countryside is "safer" they don't keep to footpaths and also can't tell the difference between a field of grass or a field of Barley . Most hate farmers and wouldn't be seen dead in the country normally ........we're 6 miles from the nearest town so they are driving here .
Oh eck, now youve started it, ive got 3 daughters( and 3 stepdaughters)
All I've wanted was a boyfriend with potential to turn up and utter those three joyous words ...
"Do you shoot?"

Daughter no1, (back from sunnier climes) and in love......
"Would you meet him Dad?"..
(He doesn't eat bacon IYKWIM..)
I'm not sure an AK47 is, what I had in mind,
Do they do matching pairs?

Re townies. Friends or Foe
White trainers are the giveaway here, tiptoeing on a concrete yard ffs!
It seldom ends well.

The appalling winter and wet early spring, combined with the Corona virus has important implications for British agriculture. I propose there will be an oversupply of malting barley, and shortages of milling wheat and OSR. I would contend that the milk market is in oversupply, leading to an intensification of dairy farming leading to a squeeze on beef farmers in certain areas, such as Wales as grazing land which previously supported extensive beef and sheep systems is used for zero grazing dairy herds. Beef looks increasingly vulnerable to cheap imports and lifestyle changes, whilst upland lamb production is in the sights of rewilders.
My question is this:
Has the time come for a reintroduction of Intervention, or Buffer pricing, by the UK government, to ensure a supply of grains, pulses, oil seeds, red and white meat in times of crisis. The price at which intervention took place could be taken from costs of production from Nix, SAC, and say, Reading University.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The appalling winter and wet early spring, combined with the Corona virus has important implications for British agriculture. I propose there will be an oversupply of malting barley, and shortages of milling wheat and OSR. I would contend that the milk market is in oversupply, leading to an intensification of dairy farming leading to a squeeze on beef farmers in certain areas, such as Wales as grazing land which previously supported extensive beef and sheep systems is used for zero grazing dairy herds. Beef looks increasingly vulnerable to cheap imports and lifestyle changes, whilst upland lamb production is in the sights of rewilders.
My question is this:
Has the time come for a reintroduction of Intervention, or Buffer pricing, by the UK government, to ensure a supply of grains, pulses, oil seeds, red and white meat in times of crisis. The price at which intervention took place could be taken from costs of production from Nix, SAC, and say, Reading University.
DC53EB61-42C3-4271-B257-1126CE6E9675.jpeg

neil82

Old-Salt
It is something that has been on my mind for a week or so, and I have had a lot of time in the cab recently to think about it. If it is inappropriate to the thread could it be moved ? I really do think a strategic food reserve needs to be considered, and memories of 80's wine lakes and butter mountains forgotten.
might not be that far fetched a train of thought, we produce less than 50% of the food we need at current levels, what sort of percentages applied 40 years ago?

Oops

Old-Salt
My question is this:
Well I'm gonna side with @Ravers on this one......
However, I've sat in meetings with the Agriculture Minister, and 'Sir Humphry' I was young and didnt know better, asked policy questions then supplementarys I was unpopular from all sides, my elders and betters just wanted the beer and beef .
They spin a load of bollox, the Treasury decides..
The Minister was one of the very few that actually got Jail for his expenses, Scouser to boot,how committed d'yreckon he was to agriculture and its participants?
It was only about 14 days ago that white paper was presented that said
' We're rich , we can buy our foodstuffs from abroad'
The author had an 'Oriental ' surname, bet it's filed in a deep drawer now..
The biggest headache at present is staff, cant see the great unwashed bending their backs this season,there's a distinct lack of foreigners for some reason,salads will be 'tight' this year.
I'm talking to neighbours who's best bet is to leave their fields to grow wildflowers (weeds)for five years....
Our ground will grow ANY salad or veg crop the uk needs, next door has 400 ac.its even irrigated , yup butterflies and skylarks.they're precious, but not very filling.
The supermarkets have so much power over agricultural output, its suited HMG to be able to get 5 CEOs in for a 'chat'...job jobbed....
Bloody hell, what your proposing, it'd turn us into some dystopian nightmare, where the folk that actually produce the food get a voice..

We'll be wearing hi vis and singing La Marseillaise next!

Ooh goody, shall we start a
'feckin footpaths fread'?
We've got one, right through the middle of our farmyard...
In today's world, I don't know of any other factory or business premises where any member of the public can wander through anytime, anyhow, anyway, animal and machinery operations galore.
We've gotta be careful, how can it be that any Militant Animal righters/ Gyppos/ General Scum can walk down our yard at 3am in a morning unimpeded , with the potential to put a cig or match to our straw shed,root round our livestock/ machinery and not have to justify their presence to anyone.
It doesn't quite end at our farm gate, you have to take a little detour over two Stiles to get out.
People don't like climbing Stiles.
They like the chained up alsation living half way along the 'short cut' even less!
Especially the OLD RETIRED PROFESSIONAL TYPES, who 'know their rights' but can't read the feckin map they're holding...
The Ex Military fella that moved up from civilised Hampshire and pulled our gates down repeatedly cos he decided we were "Impediments to his morning constitutional"
Thumped th'owd fella, and took several swings at me as I was relaying the excitement on a 999 call.
Operator..
"What's he doing now?"
"Hitting me"
"Can you stop him?"
"Yeah, but I don't want to jeapordise my FAC or SC "
"Don't worry about that, put him down"

Dad wouldn't press charges(parish council/ church an all that) but Plod served summat on him and gave us a ref no. to quote if it happened again, they'd come quicker.
It did.
Next time we ended up in middle of road, him literally trying to kick shit out of me...
Plod, coming on blues...
"Can you put him down and sit on him?"
"Yeah but I don't particularly want to"
"He's dangerous, if you can defend yourself do so"
"Captain Manwaering, if you lift your leg once more, I'm going kick your other from under you".....

It's very unpleasant, having queues of cars with their drivers screaming abuse at a fifty yr old fella sitting on a Grandad.
Turns out he was Military Intelligence...
Turns out my education taught me the meaning of the word oxymoron.

It was only DoE's through today, will they stop when Phil karks it?

Oh, I forgot to mention the lads we caught smashing a building up. Shut em in cattle trailer till the Cavalry arrived.
Apparently Plod 'helped' one into the van.
His Dad and a No win No fee type were round a few days later..
"I'd rather my lad went to Borstal, than get kicked by a Copper"
Close...
He's still in jail , for killing an frail 87 yr old gentleman they lived two doors down from.

Nice round here!
To be clear, your footpath was entirely free to follow, no impediments, but you had someone do criminal damage to your gates that were not near the footpath and that person assaulted you, twice.

might not be that far fetched a train of thought, we produce less than 50% of the food we need at current levels, what sort of percentages applied 40 years ago?
need, or grow/purchase?

COVID may make us all consume more home grown/what can be grown.

If COVID does continue to last more than three weeks, it would be interesting to see if there is a shift in qualifying criteria for continued 80% salary.

need, or grow/purchase?

COVID may make us all consume more home grown/what can be grown.

If COVID does continue to last more than three weeks, it would be interesting to see if there is a shift in qualifying criteria for continued 80% salary.
Just to be clear, I'm not having a pop about prices or input costs. If feeding the nation is not a Home Office strategy, then it needs to be. As @Oops said butterflies are great, but not that nutritious.

My question is this:
Not the only factors. There are going to be a lot of unemployed young Brits around this year; how many will want to stop watching their sports channels, turn off their iPhones and get their hands dirty?

'The U.K. organization for farmers, landowners and businesses in rural England and Wales has said labor shortages caused by coronavirus could be devastating for this years' harvest. They are calling for a 'land army' of local labor to be recruited to assist the sector, which expects to see its labor supply cut by 75% as EU workers who normally come to the U.K. to work for the harvest season are prevented from coming.

'The U.K. agriculture sector was already in trouble, heavily reliant on EU workers as it is. Since the Brexit referendum in 2016, when the U.K. voted to leave the European Union, labor supply from the mainland has been dwindling, and the government's recent immigration stance emphasizing high-skilled migration has provided little comfort.

'Now, thanks to coronavirus, we are seeing what happens when borders are totally closed to foreign workers, at least for one sector. According to the CLA, the agriculture sector usually uses around 60,000 seasonal laborers per year to complete the harvest, and they expect only around 25% of that amount this year. Factor in a 20% coronavirus infection rate the CLA is reckoning with, and they estimate some 80,000 people will need to be mobilized to protect Britain's harvest.'

Just to be clear, I'm not having a pop about prices or input costs. If feeding the nation is not a Home Office strategy, then it needs to be. As @Oops said butterflies are great, but not that nutritious.
My point was more that we probably produce a lot of the food we need, but lots is wasted in the chain/thrown away by the end user. I’d be interested to see how many tonnes of food is grown and what that could feed rather than what it does feed.

had one drop into my ear, hearing never the same after and by feck it hurt!!!!
Ive done a lot of welding on farms , a bit of spatter an slag in your earhole saves you having to trim the hairs.

Longlenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Just like 'they' can put your land into a Conservation area, with the onerous regs. that come with it (for no benefit whatsoever)
They're so 'expert' they then put
'Tree Preservation Orders on feckin hawthorne bushes.
You'd get less jail for fiddling with a kid than touching a hedge, drystone wall, or Heaven forbid a watercourse.
Just reflect on these names.
Bill Oddie
Chris (Lord ) Smith
Micheala Strachan
Tony Juniper
Kate Humble
and finally....

CHRIS feckin PACKHAM....

These people have held/ hold more 'sway' over the wellbeing of our Countryside than all those who care/ tend and generally understand the intricacies of our Green and Pleasant Land.

********* all.
( I'd make allowances to try and re educate
La Humble!)
On my bit, these twats have put preservation orders on two feckin Sycamores, one is about six feet from a building. The Council tree man lives down the lane and passes daily.

Oops

Old-Salt
To be clear, your footpath was entirely free to follow, no impediments, but you had someone do criminal damage to your gates that were not near the footpath and that person assaulted you, twice.
Yup

1 mt from the public highway.
No footpath at all on that land.

I only got involved after seeing him flatten my 74 yr old Dad.

You did read the bit about him being a Oriffcer in the Army?

He must've been quite a 'high up' he didn't like bring told 'no' .
That was Plods' theory, I just thought he was an arrogant Tw*t.

He was found dead the year after, heart attack, dog sat alongside him.. ..
on a Public Footpath.

Yup

1 mt from the public highway.
No footpath at all on that land.

I only got involved after seeing him flatten my 74 yr old Dad.

You did read the bit about him being a Oriffcer in the Army?

He must've been quite a 'high up' he didn't like bring told 'no' .
That was Plods' theory, I just thought he was an arrogant Tw*t.

He was found dead the year after, heart attack, dog sat alongside him.. ..
on a Public Footpath.
I reckon the problem is with a sociopath who causes criminal damage and is violent toward the elderly, not a footpath.

My point was more that we probably produce a lot of the food we need, but lots is wasted in the chain/thrown away by the end user. I’d be interested to see how many tonnes of food is grown and what that could feed rather than what it does feed.
I am in heated agreement with you. I think we have missed the boat with this year's primary school intake, but there is time to start educating the subsequent ones in nutrition and what used to be called Home Economics. I would rather children know how to feed themselves than how to be sufficiently Woke.

I am in heated agreement with you. I think we have missed the boat with this year's primary school intake, but there is time to start educating the subsequent ones in nutrition and what used to be called Home Economics. I would rather children know how to feed themselves than how to be sufficiently Woke.
Good news, although interestingly I’d suggest that children being woke is the answer. More and more young people care about food miles and ethical food production than (some) older generations. It is easy to disparage the young for being “woke” but their upturn in plant based diets is one thing they are doing that could make Britain more able to produce the food it requires to survive (standfast avocados)

Last edited:
Good news, although interestingly I’d suggest that children being woke is the answer. More and more young people care about food miles and ethical food production than (some) older generations. It is easy to disparage the young for being “woke” but their upturn in veganism is one thing they are doing to make Britain more able to produce the food it requires to survive (standfast avocados)
Okay, woke was an inappropriate term, and one whose meaning I'm not even sure of. To rephrase, I would rather year 6 and 7 pupils learnt about food production, nutrition and cooking than nebulous religion. At secondary school this should be reinforced with household budgeting and balancing a chequebook. One positive thing to come out of this current crisis may an uptake in home cooking due to the lack of fast food outlets.

Okay, woke was an inappropriate term, and one whose meaning I'm not even sure of. To rephrase, I would rather year 6 and 7 pupils learnt about food production, nutrition and cooking than nebulous religion. At secondary school this should be reinforced with household budgeting and balancing a chequebook. One positive thing to come out of this current crisis may an uptake in home cooking due to the lack of fast food outlets.
absolutely. I think it’s a really hard decision for curriculum designers - what shoulda country expect be taught by parents, what practical skills must be taught and what virtue does academic learning have. Then how do you test the above? Then, how do you pay for the workshop space/materials etc over a one time textbook, the web and paper?

I’m glad I don’t have to decide that although I wouldn’t mind 8 weeks off every summer.

absolutely. I think it’s a really hard decision for curriculum designers - what shoulda country expect be taught by parents, what practical skills must be taught and what virtue does academic learning have. Then how do you test the above? Then, how do you pay for the workshop space/materials etc over a one time textbook, the web and paper?

I’m glad I don’t have to decide that although I wouldn’t mind 8 weeks off every summer.
I'll get back to you later, I have some agriculture to do.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D The Intelligence Cell 2
G The NAAFI Bar 27
Interceptor RLC 0

Latest Threads